User Tag List

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use washer water supply outlets as location for a water pressure gauge?

@Cate&Rob Rob, I kidded you a while back about installing a water pressure gauge in the bedroom of your trailer since it seemed like you'd installed one in every other part of the trailer.

Turns out, I'm interested in doing that myself.

I purchased PEX piping, fittings, gauges and tools to follow your lead in improving plumbing in our Solitude, especially installing water pressure gauges so I know what's coming into the trailer. (Our trailer has had poor tap pressure on city water - noticeably weaker than our Reflection did - in all of places we've camped.)

I purchased all that stuff about three months ago, and have so far not damaged any of it with use. I am a skilled engineer of procrastination.

Our Solitude is plumbed for a washer. The pressure gauges I bought would just screw onto one of the fittings in the washer/dryer closet. I'm guessing that I could get pressure readings there that would indicate the pressure reaching taps elsewhere. I'm guessing that I'd have to run water through the washer line to eliminate air from it before installing the pressure gauge there.

Am I wrong about my guesses? Am I missing any negatives? Thanks.
    Last edited by boyscout; 01-29-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people confuse "pressure" with "flow rate." You can have very high pressure and restricted flow (think coronary artery stenosis in someone with hypertension...). Since you've experienced low flow rates at different locations, I would suspect a stricture somewhere. Monitoring pressure won't tell you anything if there's actually a flow restriction, instead.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy molly , did he just link "arterial stenosis" with rv plumbing.
    I love this place , know telling what you will here.

But I do think Rob is on the right track.

Brian

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Holy molly , did he just link "arterial stenosis" with rv plumbing.
    I love this place , know telling what you will here.

But I do think Rob is on the right track.

Brian
    Just trying to keep it light, Brian ...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @boyscout - Your plan should work.

With reference to the pressure vs flow discussed by Second Chance Rob . . . he is correct. But, you can still use the pressure gauge to investigate causes of low flow. Regardless of flow restrictions, the static pressure with all faucets closed should be independent of different flow restrictions. When you open a faucet, the pressure shown on the gauge will drop. If there are upstream flow restrictions the pressure will drop a lot. If there are minimal flow restrictions the pressure will only drop a small amount. Thus you can use the pressure gauge to compare flow restriction of different hoses, fittings, connectors, etc. Just open the same faucet the same amount for each test.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    @Cate&Rob Rob, I kidded you a while back about installing a water pressure gauge in the bedroom of your trailer since it seemed like you'd installed one in every other part of the trailer.

Turns out, I'm interested in doing that myself.

I purchased PEX piping, fittings, gauges and tools to follow your lead in improving plumbing in our Solitude, especially installing water pressure gauges so I know what's coming into the trailer. (Our trailer has had poor tap pressure on city water - noticeably weaker than our Reflection did - in all of places we've camped.)

I purchased all that stuff about three months ago, and have so far not damaged any of it with use. I am a skilled engineer of procrastination.

Our Solitude is plumbed for a washer. The pressure gauges I bought would just screw onto one of the fittings in the washer/dryer closet. I'm guessing that I could get pressure readings there that would indicate the pressure reaching taps elsewhere. I'm guessing that I'd have to run water through the washer line to eliminate air from it before installing the pressure gauge there.

Am I wrong about my guesses? Am I missing any negatives? Thanks.
    Pressure is pressure, a slug of air in the line will make no difference. What a slug of air will do however is dampen pulses. The reading will "average out" to the true pressure reading. In the case of fast frequency of pulsations, a slug of air will help with longevity of the gauge.