User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do you think this one is taller and won't require using the taller B&W GB, or are you trying to increase bedrail clearance. I had been hesitating because it didn't have a way to lock the hitch, but they have fixed that.
    David, Victoria & Scout

2018 Ford F-350 CCLB DRW Metallic Power stroke diesel
    2017 310-GK R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    PS: I just did some more research on this new design and I just might get real stoopid and replace my 16K with this one for the extra features and design. For instance, the original relief valve was a POS and a Reese engineer told me to remove it and throw it away. The new design has a much improved RV. The new design has a provision for locking the coupler when in storage that mine doesn't and the air inflation indicator is much easier to read. I also like the bolt hole pattern that appears to have provisions for altering the angle of the GB relative to a level horizontal line.

WTH......I'm as good a guinea pig as anyone!!

Tom
    If you do decide to "upgrade", I might be interested in the "old" version!

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fz6fw5 View Post
    If you do decide to "upgrade", I might be interested in the "old" version!
    I'm pretty dang serious about getting the newer design. The worst that can happen is that I end up right back where I started. The upside is that I'll have some hands-on data to share. So I think we need to talk. I'm gonna contact Reese next week and see if I can work a wrinkle. Let's stay in touch.

Tom

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmag00 View Post
    So do you think this one is taller and won't require using the taller B&W GB, or are you trying to increase bedrail clearance. I had been hesitating because it didn't have a way to lock the hitch, but they have fixed that.
    That's a good question. Just from the picture, I'd say yes. But I'd really like to either see a dimensioned drawing or the thing in person. Right now, with my setup, I have about 4.25" of bedrail clearance. Can't remember the magic number, but I "think" that's sufficient albeit on the low side. However, when hitched up, the 337 is pretty dang level - possibly a bit nose down. However, my RAM has rear air bags (standard) and once the 337 has all its weight on the ball, the 337 is nose down until the air pump kicks in and the bags inflate to establish whatever truck attitude/angle RAM has programmed in and then the 337 is (mostly) level.

Tom
    Last edited by GENESIS; 02-02-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideally, it’s touted that one should have 7” of bed rail clearance. 4 1/4” is really cutting in close. Entering/exiting driveways(think gas stations) might be a real challenge.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Ideally, it’s touted that one should have 7” of bed rail clearance. 4 1/4” is really cutting in close. Entering/exiting driveways(think gas stations) might be a real challenge.
    I would go with the taller gooseball. Just saw a YT video where a guy did that to create more space at the bedrails.

So now I’m interested in this GB for creating more space in the bed while towing.I was thinking about buying a Mor/Ryde kingpin and the Anderson Hitch and that combined cost is similar to the goosebox cost.

What do you goose box guys do when someone else ( like RV service when they move your trailer in and out of bays do) moves your fifth wheel with the goosebox? Do their tractors have the ball hitch aligned properly to move them around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    I'll admit I've not towed our rig as many miles nor through as many conditions as some of you, so my answer is rather anecdotal. So far (crossing fingers), I've never had an issue with bed rail clearance with my GB setup. The one time that I did have contact, the trucks attitude relative to the RV's attitude was rather severe in both pitch and yaw. Try to imagine the truck at about a 30 degree angle to the RV and about at least a 15 degree angle nose high. The RV had about a 10 degree pitch towards the drivers side. I hope that makes sense. Anywho.....IMHO, I think that situation would cause trouble for other types of hitch setups. Had my brain been in gear and I had "walked" the path where I was attempting to drive out of, been more patient, and it not been oh-dark-thirty, I woulda never chosen the route I took. To wit: When we left, I drove a different path out of the site with no issues.

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    I would go with the taller gooseball. Just saw a YT video where a guy did that to create more space at the bedrails.

So now I’m interested in this GB for creating more space in the bed while towing.I was thinking about buying a Mor/Ryde kingpin and the Anderson Hitch and that combined cost is similar to the goosebox cost.

What do you goose box guys do when someone else ( like RV service when they move your trailer in and out of bays do) moves your fifth wheel with the goosebox? Do their tractors have the ball hitch aligned properly to move them around?

The forklift, the RV places use, typically has a hole drilled in one of the forks so they can insert whatever ball size they need. They then just drive up, forks up for ball insertion, and off they go.

Tom
    Tom & Donna

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main concern upon research is that some owners are complaining that the air bag inside the goosebox (which is great when working evidently as it cushions the ride) sometimes develops a leak which can then result in the trailer dropping lower. Could that create an issue with bed clearance when on the road? Also, how inconvenient could that be replacing the air bag?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    My main concern upon research is that some owners are complaining that the air bag inside the goosebox (which is great when working evidently as it cushions the ride) sometimes develops a leak which can then result in the trailer dropping lower. Could that create an issue with bed clearance when on the road? Also, how inconvenient could that be replacing the air bag?

That probably is a good question for the Reese folks. Having said that......shortly after we got our rig (the GB was part of the deal), I'd air up the GB, take off on a trip, and after a couple days, I'd notice that I needed to air the bags back up. My fear was a leaking airbag (or two) so I called Reese and got a hold of a tech guy and told him of my issue. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: I think I have an air bag(s) leak because it's not maintaining air. After a day or so of towing, I need to add more air.
    Reese Dude: Do you have the relief valve still in place?
    Me: What RV?
    RD: It's that fitting looking thing that the air line goes to and has a round looking knob.
    Me: Yep.
    RD: Take it off and throw it away. We though a RV would be a good thing, but testing showed that it was not.

I did what he said and haven't had any issues in the three years since. Those air bags they use are pretty robust. But that doesn't mean they can't fail. I do agree that housing them in the GB poses a real PITA if you have to replace them.

Tom
    Tom & Donna

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast