User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of trading our MH for a '19 Solitude 380 FL

New member here, but not new to rv'ing..... Actually started in 1994 with a Carri-Lite fiver, then ended up moving through several MH models over the years. We had gotten out of rv'ing for several years and ended up purchasing a MH a little over a year ago.
    Since then, we've found a lot in Fort Myers and it looks as if we've decided to not travel as much and just winter here in Florida.

This brings me to our present dilemma.... Some friends of ours in the park recently made the "jump" this week to a 37xxx Solitude, (they just signed the papers and don't recall the model #) and it got us to thinking.

We're pretty convinced with the thought that a fifth wheel in fact has more living space, I guess "my" question would be more of "Is GD the way to go" with respect to brand quality and reliability. I realize we'll be giving up some "creature comforts" that our motor has that the fiver won't have, but honestly since our lot has a full bath and shower, I won't really miss the aquahot's ability to provide continuous hot water.
    I will have to get used to not having an "all electric" rv, but with the weekly propane delivery in our resort, I feel we'd be fine.
    The space gained by losing the motor compartment and the driver controls will be worth the change.

Also, from looking around on the web I've found that Winnebago purchased Grand Design. Would love to hear some thoughts on that as well.
    Our first two motorhome purchases were Winnebagos..... First a Journey, then a Tour and we have good memories of those ownership years.

We are interested in the GD Solitude 380FL with the front window. Our lot faces the lake in our resort and we like the ability to put the tv down and have the front view.

Thanks for your replies.

Bob

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
    New member here, but not new to rv'ing..... Actually started in 1994 with a Carri-Lite fiver, then ended up moving through several MH models over the years. We had gotten out of rv'ing for several years and ended up purchasing a MH a little over a year ago.
    Since then, we've found a lot in Fort Myers and it looks as if we've decided to not travel as much and just winter here in Florida.

This brings me to our present dilemma.... Some friends of ours in the park recently made the "jump" this week to a 37xxx Solitude, (they just signed the papers and don't recall the model #) and it got us to thinking.

We're pretty convinced with the thought that a fifth wheel in fact has more living space, I guess "my" question would be more of "Is GD the way to go" with respect to brand quality and reliability. I realize we'll be giving up some "creature comforts" that our motor has that the fiver won't have, but honestly since our lot has a full bath and shower, I won't really miss the aquahot's ability to provide continuous hot water.
    I will have to get used to not having an "all electric" rv, but with the weekly propane delivery in our resort, I feel we'd be fine.
    The space gained by losing the motor compartment and the driver controls will be worth the change.

Also, from looking around on the web I've found that Winnebago purchased Grand Design. Would love to hear some thoughts on that as well.
    Our first two motorhome purchases were Winnebagos..... First a Journey, then a Tour and we have good memories of those ownership years.

We are interested in the GD Solitude 380FL with the front window. Our lot faces the lake in our resort and we like the ability to put the tv down and have the front view.

Thanks for your replies.

Bob
    Bob,
    Welcome to the forum. I've only had the pleasure of walking through Solitudes on a dealer's lot, but they are amazing rigs.

Since you asked for replies (aka "opinions") here's my .02.

What jumped out from your post was the statement, "...we've decided to not travel as much and just winter here in Florida". To me that translates to buy it and park it. If you want the most space and the front of your lot has a view, why not consider a residential-model (also known as a "destination") RV? If you went with a bumper-pull style you'd get the most interior space and I've seen models with a three-bay window on the front. Kind of like a miniature mobile home! I spotted one of these at a park in Florida (on the east coast) that overlooked the intercoastal waterway. It was a nice setup.

If you'll travel at all the Solitude is amazing--just make sure you have the truck to haul it. The Solitude is big and heavy.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post

What jumped out from your post was the statement, "...we've decided to not travel as much and just winter here in Florida". To me that translates to buy it and park it. If you want the most space and the front of your lot has a view, why not consider a residential-model (also known as a "destination") RV? If you went with a bumper-pull style you'd get the most interior space and I've seen models with a three-bay window on the front. Kind of like a miniature mobile home! I spotted one of these at a park in Florida (on the east coast) that overlooked the intercoastal waterway. It was a nice setup.

If you'll travel at all the Solitude is amazing--just make sure you have the truck to haul it. The Solitude is big and heavy.

-Howard
    Thanks for the reply....

We're in Cypress Woods RV Resort in Fort Myers, where the bylaws only allow motor homes and fivers. Travel trailers are excluded.
    There are also interior lots where manufactured homes are allowed, but none on the lakefront lots..... I guess the reason driving my question is that many folks have purchased fifth wheels and use them for extended stays here in the park. You do make a good point that, if we ever decided to move it, I'd have to upgrade from my F150 diesel pickup.

Bob

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do make a good point that, if we ever decided to move it, I'd have to upgrade from my F150 diesel pickup.

Bob
    Big time truck upgrade required from a 1/2 ton.

We just made the switch to a 5th wheel and could not be happier with the living space. Ours is a 310GK and the extra width is noticeable when you are in it. The quality of the GD product is very good and while we have had no serious issues, we have been amazed at the support GD provides at rallies. This forum is also a very good place for information with lots of knowledgeable people willing to share.

Welcome aboard.

-jeff
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went from a 5er to Motorhome because of the dual rear wheel truck it would take to move the 5er we wanted. We don't need a truck in our day to day life so having a Jeep Wrangler and member of Jeep club fit out lifestyle better than driving a DRW daily. If you are not moving on regular bases have to maintain the drive train and motorhome doesn't make sense either. If I had one park that I was going to snowbird to every year I would look at a Park Model rather than a 5er, tt or motorhome. If you plan to occasion travel with the 5er would you want a DRW truck to be your daily driver?
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I realize we'll be giving up some "creature comforts" that our motor has that the fiver won't have, but honestly since our lot has a full bath and shower, I won't really miss the aquahot's ability to provide continuous hot water. I will have to get used to not having an "all electric" rv, but with the weekly propane delivery in our resort, I feel we'd be fine.
    Welcome to the forum Bob! You're the first person I recall that has mentioned the loss of usable space in a motorhome. I still don't quite understand the appeal of a class A RV but I won't get into that here! We've had both a 6g water heater in our prior 5th wheel and now a 12g water heater in our Solitude and we've never run out of hot water during long showers with either system. And we don't use propane for the water heater which would significantly shorten the recovery period. Plus, if you really want an AquaHot system, you can add it to a 5th wheel. We know several people in our RV park that have sold their motorhomes and purchased 5th wheels to park permanently on their lots. Of course, we also have quite a few friends from Canada who leave their motorhomes here year round.

The Solitudes have some pretty nice features so I don't think you'd be giving up too many creature comforts. Either way, good luck with your quest!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    If I had one park that I was going to snowbird to every year I would look at a Park Model rather than a 5er, tt or motorhome. If you plan to occasion travel with the 5er would you want a DRW truck to be your daily driver?
    Thanks for the reply..... As I mentioned, we're on a lakefront lot and our by-laws won't permit us to place a park model on a lake-front lot. We like the lot and the view more than the desire to move off the lake and into a house.
    I have owned two fivers in my early rv years and maybe I'm a weirdo, but "if" we did ever decide to go full time on the road again, I'd not be bothered by driving a DRW pickup.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then a 5er or TT would make more sense. We went from 34 Foot Solitude to a 41.5-foot motorhome so we gained space. The DRW truck was the deal breaker for us and since you don't mind driving one than 5er does make more sense but didn't fit our lifestyle. We have a Jeep Wrangler for those trips we are on the off-road trails and Jeep Grand Cherokee for those trips we just going to do just sightseeing. Hopefully this summer we going to have a mid 60 muscle car on the trailer to go this big cruise-ins. We put about 12,000 miles per year on our motorhome.

We had Solitude 310GK and the Grand Design folks treated us better than any other manufacture and if we going to buy one today it would be at the top of our list. If cost wasn't a big factor I would be looking New Horizon or Space Craft but those are one high dollar 5ers.

Thanks for the reply..... As I mentioned, we're on a lakefront lot and our by-laws won't permit us to place a park model on a lake-front lot. We like the lot and the view more than the desire to move off the lake and into a house.
    I have owned two fivers in my early rv years and maybe I'm a weirdo, but "if" we did ever decide to go full time on the road again, I'd not be bothered by driving a DRW pickup.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply....

We're in Cypress Woods RV Resort in Fort Myers, where the bylaws only allow motor homes and fivers. Travel trailers are excluded.
    There are also interior lots where manufactured homes are allowed, but none on the lakefront lots..... I guess the reason driving my question is that many folks have purchased fifth wheels and use them for extended stays here in the park. You do make a good point that, if we ever decided to move it, I'd have to upgrade from my F150 diesel pickup.

Bob
    I met a couple at a campground in Georgia that had a triple-axle Momentum. They didn't own a truck! The dealer delivered it to the campground, set it up, and it's been there ever since.

Compared to the cost of a DRW truck it may be less expensive to have the 5vr moved by a tow company when/if it is necessary.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy.... decisions....decisions....

Went to the local dealer today and groped all over the 380FL they had in stock. First impressions are really good, I really liked the floorplan.
    Lots of inside usable storage as well as a ton of storage outside. Really liked the half bath off of the kitchen and while others here have mentioned that the kitchen is a bit cramped, I feel that while it's smaller than some others on the market, everything seems to work. I know "she who matters" will like the presence of the oven and this model had the residential refrigerator which I prefer since we'll most likely not move the trailer a lot.

As I was leaving, I made an appointment to take the boss back in the morning and we'll see what happens then.... We tossed around some preliminary numbers and the dealer seems really interested in making a deal happen.

I played "stump the salesman" when I asked what the round Winegard cover was on the roof..... It was too small to be a satellite dome and neither of us knew what it was until we asked one of the other salesmen inside.... I'd never seen a round multi-directional "over the air" tv that Winegard apparently now makes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast