User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have experience with Trailer Flex air suspension?

I'm hoping someone can have input regarding Trailer Flex air suspension. For parking at my house, my soon to arrive Solitude may be an inch or two too high for our local community bylaws (12' 2" height restriction for parked RV's at home, to top of the roof not including accessories such as A/C or ladders). I've researched some air suspensions and like the idea of being able to "dump" the suspension where it'll sit lower on the air bag bump stops when not in use. I've contacted the manufacturer of Trailer Flex and have been told that typically the suspension can dump down between 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 inches below normal ride height (which would easily solve my parked height issue). There is not much online about this suspension set up except for their website and a Trailer Life installation article. It seems like a well designed system that installs relatively easy in place of the stock suspension (as long as you can weld... which I can).

The two related web pages:
    https://www.autoflexsuspensions.com/trailerflex
    http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/bounce-be-gone/

Thoughts and experiences?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12trailer-flex-0022.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	17433
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with Trailer Flex air suspension but I would sure like to hear how you like it if you end up going that route. It does sound like it has a lot of pluses.
    Last edited by warsw1; 01-30-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bcdiesel,

I have no direct experience with this suspension system, but the design looks “right”. Have you followed the discussions on this forum about isolating one axle from the other to prevent the rear axle from lifting the front axle, through the equalizer, during braking? If you go forward with this upgrade, please keep this forum updated!

The TrailerLife writeup actually has far more useful information than the manufacturer’s website. I always wonder when folks post that a suspension change “improved the ride” of their trailer. How would they know that? Unless you are riding in the trailer, the only information that you have is what you can see in your mirrors.

Interesting that this company is in Thunder Bay . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be the suspension I would use! A leveling valve on both sides to set the ride height evenly and good shocks would be a great setup. I wish the RV industry would offer that as an option, I would pay extra for it!
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine
    And a couple of Polaris RMK snowmobiles :cool:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi bcdiesel,

I have no direct experience with this suspension system, but the design looks “right”. Have you followed the discussions on this forum about isolating one axle from the other to prevent the rear axle from lifting the front axle, through the equalizer, during braking? If you go forward with this upgrade, please keep this forum updated!

The TrailerLife writeup actually has far more useful information than the manufacturer’s website. I always wonder when folks post that a suspension change “improved the ride” of their trailer. How would they know that? Unless you are riding in the trailer, the only information that you have is what you can see in your mirrors.

Interesting that this company is in Thunder Bay . . .

Rob
    I did read that thread as well. Better and safer braking would be an added benefit... but for me it's more about the flexibility to adjust parked height (dump it down to the bump stops). Another benefit for many may be a lower entry height, although only 3-4 inches lower it would make the first step closer to the ground. For those with trailers that are not perfectly level it has the flexibility to adjust the right height via the adjustable leveling valve. The Firestone airbag in that install article only had a load rating of around 3100lbs, so they must use bigger capacity bags for heavier trailers. But that bag specs at 9 inches of allowable travel meaning a lot of room to adjust ride height (bigger bags may vary in travel).

This is very much like many of the commercial heavy trailers are going towards. Looking at them, side roll is controlled by the axle being welded to the trailing arms creating torsional stiffness countering side to side roll. Some heavy trailers also use a cross restriction valve which basically limits air flow from side to side. One manufacturer claims that torsional axle stiffness accounts for 80% of the roll resistance and the cross restriction valve for another 20%. I don't think the Trailer Flex kit has a cross restriction valve but in emailing back and forth I do know they have a delay valve which prevent the air system from responding with height adjustments to every bump it the road (how much delay I don't know yet).

The only drawback currently is they quoted $400CDN for ship from Ontario to British Columbia. While I get this is heavy metal and some of the cross brace angle iron is probably 8 feet long... that's still expensive. Perhaps I can see if they can eliminate some of the long angle iron cross braces which I can source locally to same on the shipment costs. That said... I'm probably still months away from even looking to purchase if I go that route... need the trailer first!

I found another video on YouTube showing the suspension in motion. While not an RV, the trailer uses the same Trailer Flex suspension and it can be seen in action in an undermount camera while driving. Fast forward to the 4:30 time mark to see the suspension in action... Link: https://youtu.be/6A5XkDgQOjY
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Vicki View Post
    That would be the suspension I would use! A leveling valve on both sides to set the ride height evenly and good shocks would be a great setup. I wish the RV industry would offer that as an option, I would pay extra for it!
    You and me both!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
    You and me both!
    Looking for an update on this.

Has anyone purchased it or know of anyone who has? Not much feedback online.
    2020 Solitude 372WB FBP, 3 A/C, 8000lb axles with disc brakes, 17" G rated tires
    2019 Ram 3500 LTD, 6.7L HO, SRW, Rear Air Suspension, Ram M20 hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamsparta View Post
    Looking for an update on this.
    Has anyone purchased it or know of anyone who has? Not much feedback online.
    I have just recently been in contact with Autoflex who makes Trailerflex. I was looking at this project for the spring but I'm on the fence currently. Although it does seem like a good product, there are currently too many unknowns for me to fork over $4200CDN (about $3000USD). My biggest beef is that many of the pictures (the few that there are) are old photos before many iterations and changes. I've asked questions based upon some of the pictures only to be told the pictures showed old designs and the new design was different. I've been told he won't post current assembly pictures on the internet as he's worried about his patent protection and people copying the design. I've also found this is now just a parts kit with only the patent type assemblies welded. The kit is just a loose bunch of parts. One has to weld the trailering arm hangers to the trailer or use an optional track bar (either option has to be welded yourself based upon measurements he'll provide for your application). Some of the pictures allude to complete assemblies which is not the case.

In the end... still on the fence. I think its a very good design that closely mimics the big rig trailer suspension (which is proven)… just the patent holder for trailers our size is stingy at best on information which causes me concern!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did happen to find his patent on this design...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20090261551

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update. I've been looking at this recently as well, and I agree that being stingy with information is cause for concern.

Unfortunately, there are not many options out there for a full air suspension.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast