User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How cold until you need or will want skirting

I’m new to the RV lifestyle, I just bought a 2019 351m toy hauler. I’m from the Philadelphia suburbs and I’m wondering how to decide if I should invest in skirting it right away or be able to make it through the rest of this winter in PA and be fine. I know it’s not nearly the temps out west of PA. But I’d rather be prepared. Thanks for any help and advice!
    Last edited by Cbrunner908; 01-31-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome Cbrunner908.
    Are you full-timing in your rig now? Or a seasonal set up?

What part of Philadelphia suburbs. Cb (central bucks )

Again, welcome. Be safe and stay warm.

John Joscelyne
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joscelyne3 View Post
    Hi and welcome Cbrunner908.
    Are you full-timing in your rig now? Or a seasonal set up?

What part of Philadelphia suburbs. Cb (central bucks )

Again, welcome. Be safe and stay warm.

John Joscelyne

I’m going to be in coatsville at Birchview farms. Only place I could find for the time being. I’m originally from York, PA I will be full time in the camper. You happen to know of other sites around? That may possibly be all year around?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the Poconos and have survived the negative 10 Temps with the wind chill around negative 30!

My low point drains are the week spot. I do not have shutoff valves inside the rig. I used a water spigot cover to help. Was good down into the low 20's, would not have been enough last night however.

The recirculating pump worked!! No frozen pipes in kitchen island or anywhere else. Dual pane windows helps, but the aluminum frames can actually get frosty.

If I was staying long term again in the area I would have done the skirting to help, but that pump worth it's weight in gold!

Another tip is to not pull the shades past the bottom of the frame, just about a half inch above allows air circulation so windows won't frost over.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    I am in the Poconos and have survived the negative 10 Temps with the wind chill around negative 30!

My low point drains are the week spot. I do not have shutoff valves inside the rig. I used a water spigot cover to help. Was good down into the low 20's, would not have been enough last night however.

The recirculating pump worked!! No frozen pipes in kitchen island or anywhere else. Dual pane windows helps, but the aluminum frames can actually get frosty.

If I was staying long term again in the area I would have done the skirting to help, but that pump worth it's weight in gold!

Another tip is to not pull the shades past the bottom of the frame, just about a half inch above allows air circulation so windows won't frost over.

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I will be able to get by this year without the skirts. I know they can be expensive for quality, but also in times help a lot. So I’ve read...

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to be in cold weather full time then the cost is well worth it. I wouldn't consider full timing up there without one.

That said you can get by, Feb will be rough but spring is right around the corner. If you'll be up there next winter I'd invest in one.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you decide to do skirting, I believe this place is a little higher but they're custom work. Look at and compare the photos of theirs against anybody else before you pull the trigger. Also, they use a channel rather than snaps so there isn't any cold air creeping in between the snaps or snaps breaking, vinyl tearing at the snaps, etc. They are in Rapid City, South Dakota......... http://www.customskirting.com/

SPRING IS 50 DAYS AWAY!
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I owned an RV Park in Central Oregon for 12 years. We always had a half dozen RVs that would stay with us through the winter. What we found was that when the temps start staying below freezing day and night you want to have a skirt around your trailer. It doesn't take much. Just something to keep the cold air from wicking the heat away. We would always use 1" Styrofoam board and duct tape. It works well and is an easy install. You don't want to wait until it's 10degs and you have a foot of snow on the ground. It may then be too late and the job becomes 10x as hard. Come summer you will want to remove it and let your trailer breathe a little.
    Last edited by warsw1; 01-31-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think actual temp is the key, it's duration. We have survived un-skirted in single digit weather for a few days to a week, you thaw out. But week after week of really cold slowly sucks the energy out. I absolutely believe in the power of skirting, but I crawl into my winter spot in December and emerge in March. -22f is my record low. 22f is my average. It takes some work to set a skirt up. Anything less than 2 weeks I don't bother, regardless of the temp.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was good to see someone in a 337 that actually went subzero--I was worried about that one. To the OP, if it was me, I'd skirt it. I installed an ez snap system that's mostly held up. At this point I'd recommend alternative fasteners though--possibly Velcro--or that you do the screw+adhesive ones the whole way around. I'm seeing folks where I stay have decent results with turn buckle systems. I remember someone on here had a pro install that used a rail system--that looked slick.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg