User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    Will these get the job done or do you get what you pay for and I should be looking at better quality? If so, what brand or model? Also what’s the difference in the donut shape compared to the cylinder shape?
    Is it a storage/space thing or do they have their pros and cons?
    I've got the Porter Cable compressor shown in the video on this Harbor Freight webpage: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gall...sor-64688.html

I'll admit it is mighty tempting to give HF's Fortress model a try. I have to wear ear defenders when I turn on the Porter Cable.

Edit: The compressor is for home use. I have the VIAIR 450P-RV for the road.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I use to inflate tires; works with my M12 batteries. This thing is great and very easy to use. Shuts off when it gets to desired tire pressure. I carry Milwaukee DC tools with me camping, drill, impact wrench, vacuum, saber saw, etc. Have 18 volt Milwaukee Impact that will remove any lug nut on any vehicle, even rusted in place. Got it because friend of mind had flat and couldn't remove lug nut on his camper with regular lug wrench.
    • Up to 1400 ft. lbs. Nut-Busting Torque

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will these get the job done or do you get what you pay for and I should be looking at better quality? If so, what brand or model? Also what’s the difference in the donut shape compared to the cylinder shape?
    Is it a storage/space thing or do they have their pros and cons? Thanks ( I expect I’ll be asking a lot more questions in the near future.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the 150psi (6 gal) version of the pancake compressor on the left that I carry in my trailer. I use it mainly to air up tires. I have also used it to run an air impact and a nail gun. The nail gun it worked pretty well. The impact I had to give it some catch up time now and again. I have had it for two years and overall it works very well. I like it mostly because it doesn't take up too much space and it is fairly light. I also have a 12 volt air compressor that I carry in the truck for on the road emergencies but it is very slow and would be useless for anything more than airing up tires.
    Last edited by warsw1; 02-04-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got this one from HF: https://www.harborfreight.com/12volt...sor-69285.html

Runs off of 12v. I use it only for topping off truck/RV tires and bikes. Sometimes for inflatable toys. Compact, light - easy to stow in an RV. It could fully inflate a vehicle tire, but probably take a long time - but on the road, when will I ever have to inflate from fully empty? Useless for higher volume things like blowing out lines. For that, or all my construction projects, I fire up the big one that is rated for all my air tools, that stays in the garage. I'm sure other brands are better, but this has seen occasional use for about 5 years now, and still works perfectly for what it is.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one that we have for use on the road. Have not used often it as my tires seem to hold air very well for weeks at a time. I'm hoping to keep it that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-27.../dp/B004K25GMG

I also carry one of these Ryobi compressors for truck tires and air bags because of its light weight and ease of use. I have an 18v charger permanently plugged into my basement outlet as it also powers my screwdriver. I would have bought the Ryobi portable 18v portable vacuum as well but it didn't get good reviews.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P739/305269932
    Last edited by JColeman; 02-02-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 3 cents worth......

I will agree with what others have said - they aren't referred to Harbor Fright for nothing. Having said that, in the last 2 years, HF has stepped up their game in a few areas. Where you find the difference between HF and other premium tools such as Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt, etc. is the tolerances and robustness of the premiums. But if you're not a professional mechanic, you'd probably never notice. One of the mechanics I work with has been using a HF Bauer cordless impact and he ribs a co-worker about how his impact does the same job as the other guy's Milwaukee at half the price. Anyhow......I'm off the rails (as always).

IMHO, those air compressors (AC) you show are really meant for air nailers. They'll develop the PSI alright, but their CFM air flow is very small. I picked up at WalMart a Campbell Hausfeld twin tank portable 110V AC a few years back and quickly learned that yeah.....it'll put out 150psi, but air'ing up a truck or trailer tire takes forever. My suggestion, would be to find the smallest AC you can physically deal with that has a high CFM rating. That's a tall order if the AC is of piston/pump design since air volume is a function of cylinder displacement. HOWEVER......

HF's Fortress line is based on a diferrent compressor design so it's not only more efficient, but outputs more CFM for its given size. And trust me, those things are waaaaaay more quiet than your typical pancake AC. A friend has a California Air Tools AC (which the Fortress is based on) and that thing is amazingly quiet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r31zQ616ao

If I didn't have so much invested in my Ingersol Rand AC, I'd rip it out and replace it with a CAT AC.

Tom
    Last edited by GENESIS; 02-02-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    My 3 cents worth......

I will agree with what others have said - they aren't referred to Harbor Fright for nothing. Having said that, in the last 2 years, HF has stepped up their game in a few areas. Where you find the difference between HF and other premium tools such as Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt, etc. is the tolerances and robustness of the premiums. But if you're not a professional mechanic, you'd probably never notice. One of the mechanics I work with has been using a HF Bauer cordless impact and he ribs a co-worker about how his impact does the same job as the other guy's Milwaukee at half the price. Anyhow......I'm off the rails (as always).

IMHO, those air compressors (AC) you show are really meant for air nailers. They'll develop the PSI alright, but their CFM air flow is very small. I picked up at WalMart a Campbell Hausfeld twin tank portable 110V AC a few years back and quickly learned that yeah.....it'll put out 150psi, but air'ing up a truck or trailer tire takes forever. My suggestion, would be to find the smallest AC you can physically deal with that has a high CFM rating. That's a tall order if the AC is of piston/pump design since air volume is a function of cylinder displacement. HOWEVER......

HF's Fortress line is based on a diferrent compressor design so it's not only more efficient, but outputs more CFM for its given size. And trust me, those things are waaaaaay more quiet than your typical pancake AC. A friend has a California Air Tools AC (which the Fortress is based on) and that thing is amazingly quiet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r31zQ616ao

If I didn't have so much invested in my Ingersol Rand AC, I'd rip it out and replace it with a CAT AC.

Tom
    Tom- what is CFM?
    I only want to pump up truck tires (80 psi max) and Fifth wheel trailer ties( not purchased yet but assuming it’s about 100 psi max)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom- what is CFM?
    I'm not Tom, but CFM is how much air is being moved in a given amount of time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFM.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	17483
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom- what is CFM?
    I only want to pump up truck tires (80 psi max) and Fifth wheel trailer ties( not purchased yet but assuming it’s about 100 psi max)

Cubic feet per minute

Jeff & Susan
    With Annie, our dachshund
    2019 Reflection 303RLS #123, TST 507 TPMS
    2019 F-350 XLT 4x4 PSD SRW CC LB Factory 5th Wheel Prep Package
    B&W Companion OEM Hitch

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CFM - Cubic Feet per Minute. It's a measure of air volume flow rate.

If you have a 500 cubic foot balloon and two AC's - one has a rating of 5 CFM and one has a rating of 50 CFM, that balloon is gonna inflate much quicker.

Why is this important? Because your RV or truck tires have ALOT of volume. Now, if you don't mind waiting (like I have to do), a small CFM rated AC is ok. In hindsight, although I know all this stuff, I got a case of the dumazz and bought my little AC based on price and not what it was gonna be used for.

Tom

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast