User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harbor Freight Air Compressors

Will these get the job done or do you get what you pay for and I should be looking at better quality? If so, what brand or model? Also what’s the difference in the donut shape compared to the cylinder shape?
    Is it a storage/space thing or do they have their pros and cons? Thanks ( I expect I’ll be asking a lot more questions in the near future.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you are airing up but my G-rated tires are 110 psi cold. The pancake style are used in construction for nail guns. Portable and fairly quick recovery. I have a Rigid (home depot house brand) that is 150 psi max. Best I recall was around $100.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t want to hate on Harbor Freight they do have some deals but you have to be careful what you buy there. I had the one pictured on the right and it is of little use beyond inflating auto tires. I went to Lowe’s and picked up a dual tank Hitachi and all is good now.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Bostich from lowes, has served me well. No experience with Harbor Freight , but I am from the school of getting what you pay for. That being said, if I was in construction or using this daily I would opt for a top of the line quality , general use once and a while then I would save some money. One word of caution, I do not store mine with air in the tank , I always drain , rusted out tank on small garage compressor by leaving air in tank all the time.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had my dewalt 6gallon pancake compressor for almost 10yrs. Paid $150. It has never let me down. The only repair was replacing the drain valve in the bottom after one of my workers threw it on that trailer. (It was the only time he tossed one of my tools). Harbor freight has decent hand tools. We actually use their socket sets and wrenches at the state agency I work for. However, the one time you really need your compressor, are you willing to go with cheapest vs reliable?

On a side note: I carry a Blackjack tire plug kit (local ag equipment dealer) Ryobi 1/2” cordless impact, and a 5-piece lugnut socket set (Home Depot)in my TV at all times. I seem to pick up nails in the worst of places at the worst of times.

My two cents- buy a quality compressor once.
    LeAllan and Jessica

2019 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 XL 6.2L 4x4 3.73
    BW 3300 Ford OEM fifth wheel
    Firestone bags

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It didn’t take long for me to realize the Harbor Freight quality is not what you need in an emergency. Thank you. But I failed to ask this. Battery powered or electric? And when I am on the road, will the current from my F350 be enough to run a good quality compressor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given you mention on the road, I'm guessing you're asking for the purposes of carrying with you when RVing. I suspect you've heard of the VIAIR compressors? There are several versions at different price points. They make a quality product that runs off 12v DC. Can hook to battery on rig or tow vehicle. Plenty of hose and plenty of reach on the cables. The model I have can run to 150 psi.
    Jeff & Susan
    With Annie, our dachshund
    2019 Reflection 303RLS #123, TST 507 TPMS
    2019 F-350 XLT 4x4 PSD SRW CC LB Factory 5th Wheel Prep Package
    B&W Companion OEM Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    It didn’t take long for me to realize the Harbor Freight quality is not what you need in an emergency. Thank you. But I failed to ask this. Battery powered or electric? And when I am on the road, will the current from my F350 be enough to run a good quality compressor?

If you are running it on the road, you will likely need a portable generator. You would need quite a large inverter to run one of those compressors. If you are buying this to just use on the road, why not get a 12V air compressor such as a VIAIR compressor and install a 5 gallon tank on the truck? I have two of these and they work very well. You would have to do a little work to package and install, but once you are done it is all seamlessly integrated with your truck. No need to lug anything around.

As for Harbor Freight, I will buy a tool from them if I am doing a one off job or trying to maybe learn. For example, I put in a rather large patio a few years back and bought a wet saw from them, worked great and got the job done. This was a one off job and the cheap saw served me well. If I was buying an air compressor for long term use, I would go with quality. I have had a Craftsman air compressor for over 20 year and has never failed, not once.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electric powered 120VAC Dewalt 6 gallon compressor. No, your 400watt Ford inverter will not be adequate. I have a 2,000 watt inverter with jumper cable ends and a 50ft yellow jacket 10guage extension cord. I carry the compressor, inverter, and extension cord in the front compartment of my 5er. I also carry a 12v portable compressor with my cordless impact, sockets, and tire plug kit in the backseat of my truck. A metal toolbox fits under the seat with the impact/sockets. The 12v compressor has a travel bag that fits under the seat. The blackjack plug kit has a plastic case that fits under the seat as well. I use plugs as a temporary repair to get me to a tire shop for a more permanent repair. I’ve only used the inverter and compressor 1 time. Most times I use my 12v portable compressor or have a 120VAC supply nearby to power my Dewalt electric compressor.

Blackjack KT-340 Tire Repair Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083IAO5M..._t8yvCb27KF711

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-...-204761486-_-N

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...1830/206157712

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-D...5126/205298243

Yellow Jacket 2805 10/3 Heavy-Duty 15-Amp SJTW Contractor Extens... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQO824..._kgzvCbJ5DS2ZZ

https://www.loves.com/en/store-promo...ower-inverters

https://www.amazon.com/d/Tire-Air-Co...+tire+inflator
    LeAllan and Jessica

2019 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 XL 6.2L 4x4 3.73
    BW 3300 Ford OEM fifth wheel
    Firestone bags

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast