Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lu&Jan,

Google maps says take IH40 to Little Rock then pick up IH30 to Dallas and then IH35 to Austin. Since I'm from Austin, I avoid IH35 from Waco north at all cost. I would consider taking IH30 to Sulphur Springs then take Texas HWY 19 thru Canton (if your there on the first Monday of the month Canton has a huge trade days) to Athens then take Texas HWY 31 to Corsicana to Waco. Pick up IH35 just north of Waco. There are not very many RV parks in the Austin area. Most are west of Austin near Lake Travis. Depending on what your plans are, there are a few parks in San Marcos, Sequin, Bastrop, New Braunfels and Canyon Lake area. There is a KOA on IH35 South, but since they're rebuilding IH35 there it would probably be real dusty and noisy.

Post again when you know where your plans are and someone will be able to give you a list of good RV parks close to your ending destination.

For Lizardging - Remember we serve Beef Brisket and pork ribs. Not pulled pork. And if you see a little building that looks like it's on it last legs with a BBQ sign out front, stop it will probably be the best BBQ you've ever had! Our chain BBQ places are Miller's and Rudy's. For a chain, Rudy's is much better than Millers and if you find a local spot - like Coopers, Harmon's, Black's or Smitty's just park and plan on eating until you can't eat any more, then top it off with some banana pudding. Now I'm hungry!
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    You should be fine by then. Mid 70's here today and little cooler rest of the week. By March the cold weather is usually done and any severe weather usually only happens in April or May. No way to really predict winds out in west Texas but you can take Hwy 90 west instead of Interstate 10 and miss a lot of the semi traffic. It's a little longer way to go but much more scenic. West Texas 2 lane roads are beautiful and Hwy 90 rejoins IH10 out in Van Horn. You would take hwy 285 north from Sanderson up through Ft Stockton and right on in to Carlsbad. Google map it and see what you think. Even if it's windy the lack of semi traffic makes it much more enjoyable. You pick up Hwy 90 west in San Antonio. What type of rig do you have?
    Sorry to contradict , but 285 from Pecos to Carlsbad is over run by Oil industrial traffic(oil tankers, sand trucks, water trucks, chem. trucks, and all the support employees. They call it the high way of death, I avoid it at all costs. It was a bi*** when I had to drive up to Orla Tx for my job.( with my 5'er ) big chuck holes in the pavement, and crazy drivers. I was up there for a week, and hated it. Had to go back again a couple of months later and it was still the same. In the week I was up there I saw six bad accident four were with big truck and pick up trucks, one sand truck was an hundred feet off the HY. up side down one between a sand truck and a water truck and the water truck burst in to flames. When I leave here I will be taking I-10 it is a safer route and I have taken both routes and I-10 is the better route. PS don't take I-20 there is a lot more heavy big truck traffic, and several overpasses are damaged from over sized loads, and construction, between Odessa, and Midland, TX..
    Last edited by Ditchdigger; 02-05-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow ditchdigger I did not realize that 285 had gotten that bad! It's been a few years since I've been on that road and I guess the oil business trucks have gotten crazy on it. I used to go to Big Bend Park and Terlingua Ranch a lot and Hwy 90 was a nice no traffic drive back then. I came home one time up 285 to I-10 and same way, no traffic. Guess times change, disregard my suggestion OP.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditchdigger is right about the roads around Pecos. Face it Pecos is in the heart of the Alpine High natural gas/oil play, in the middle of the Delaware Basin which is a sub area of the Permian Basin. Tanker trucks and service crews along with drilling operations are a 24x7 affair. The county and state can't keep up with the roads and some are downright dangerous. Using highway 90 going through Del Rio, Sanderson, Marathon, Alpine and to Van Horn and then up highway 54 might be a pleasant option. Highway 54 joins US 62 pretty close to the highest point in Texas, Guadalupe Peak (a national park). I head out to the Pecos area multiple times a year to check on some property near Toyah. Sometimes on the Harley and sometimes camping at Davis Mount State Park.
    I grew up in West Texas and winds are part of life. However, Highway 90 can be a bear when the winds are hitting you as there is not much to block it. Coming back from Big Bend on the Harley with my wife two years ago in March or April, that stretch wore me out just trying to keep the bike upright. I actually feared crossing high bridge (Pecos River) as I had no idea what the wind would do once I entered that stretch. Outside of that, you won't see much more than railroad crews and INS agents. Oh, make sure you fill up in Del Rio. Next fuel stop is about 150-180 miles away.
    Last edited by f100owner; 02-05-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey that's awesome, hi neighbor!! I was trying to think of places for good BBQ along his intended route. Coopers in New Braunfels has awesome BBQ as well and lots of places in Austin but seemed out of his way. Yes I love good food too! lol
    Howdy Ho neighbor

There are a lot of great places to eat great BBQ and Coopers is one of those. Definitely a must if time is available.

For the OP I've added links to Coopers and Harmon's. Safe travels!

http://www.coopersbbq.com/

https://www.harmonsbbq.com/
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow ditchdigger I did not realize that 285 had gotten that bad! It's been a few years since I've been on that road and I guess the oil business trucks have gotten crazy on it. I used to go to Big Bend Park and Terlingua Ranch a lot and Hwy 90 was a nice no traffic drive back then. I came home one time up 285 to I-10 and same way, no traffic. Guess times change, disregard my suggestion OP.
    Yes we have been over here for a year now, and the traffic around Pecos, to big Springs, and all over the Basin is bad with all of the oil drilling and traffic. I can't wait to get out of here to some where, where it is quieter.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12