User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaqua1 View Post
    Thanks a lot for everyone’s help and insight to this. I plan on wearing this truck into the ground and therefor am not in the market for a brand new one. We have decided on getting a reflection 297RSTS instead, which will be perfectly fine as far as my trucks limits go.
    Please read this thread before committing to the 297RSTS: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-Hitch-Ratings

@TucsonJim wrote that first post in the thread if you have any questions.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Please read this thread before committing to the 297RSTS: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-Hitch-Ratings

@TucsonJim wrote that first post in the thread if you have any questions.
    A lot to think about for sure. I have checked my receiver hitch and am looking alright, unless you see something I'm missing? thanks a lot. Also just got off the phone with Grand Design and they are saying the 297RSTS unloaded tongue weight is 795 lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hitch Rating.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	17548
    Last edited by Manaqua1; 02-08-2019 at 12:10 PM.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A lot to think about for sure. I have checked my receiver hitch and am looking alright, unless you see something I'm missing? thanks a lot. Also just got off the phone with Grand Design and they are saying the 297RSTS unloaded tongue weight is 795 lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hitch Rating.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	17548
    Just for reference, I usually weigh my trailer before each trip. My 297 runs between 1,200 and 1,600 pounds of tongue weight depending on the load out. The photo below was with only a few gallons of water and minimal tools in storage. with a full tank and tools, I'm at the heavier end. I do have a second AC mounted over the front bedroom which adds about 90 pounds of additional weight that you may not have:

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much trailer for an F150. Only the F150 HDPP is capable of handling that long and heavy of a TT. Receiver rating will be maxed. UVW is 8100 to 8250 lbs on average. Add another 800+lbs and you're at 9,000 lbs. Optimum tongue weight is 12.5% or higher. Thats 1150. 70 lbs less than your receiver rating. 9,000 lbs and 34' long is IMO 3/4 ton territory. Sadly you'd be better off towing a 5th wheel that's that long and heavy. 5th wheels handle so much better. Much more forging when maxed out.
    Also your WDH counts as payload in one form or another.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for all the insight. Just got off the phone with the dealer and they seem to think that my truck would be fine but I think he is incorrect. Unloaded tongue weight 795+ around 100 for dist hitch leaves me at almost 900. That only leaves me with about 300 for my tools and such which is damn close to my max. He continued to say that my Timbrens would increase the max for the tongue weight, but correct me if I’m wrong, the max for the receiver still remains, yes my truck will stay more level but the receiver will still fail at this weight right? Thanks again.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can guaranty you that the dry brochure tongue weight will be higher. Add 1-2 batteries, propane and the WDH to the dry weight. Add camp gear in the front of the storage and in the bedroom. Lets say 200 lbs.
    200 Stuff
    100 WDH
    45 Battery
    60 Propane
    795 Dry Brochure Weight
    1200 Total.

I think you'll find from other 297 RST owners that the dry vs loaded weights are far apart. Sad that your dealer is playing the sales game with you. Timbrens do nothing for the trucks payload. Yes they will add more stability. Another factor is the apr 9,000 loaded weight, the 34' length and your trucks 145" WB. You will get the tail wagging the dog scenario. Another option ($$$$) is to get a premium WDH like a Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride. Problem with them is they add even more weight. IIRC they run about 125-150 lbs. They will however make your truck and TT handle very well.
    Last edited by goducks14; 02-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 297RSTS will likely never see a 795lb tongue weight, even with no battery or propane. Most of the cargo and liquids are ahead of the axle. These are tongue heavy trailers as is my 315RLTS. Neither one IMHO is 1/2 ton friendly. I'm thinking something like an Imagine 2600RB would be a better choice. My best friends love theirs.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He continued to say that my Timbrens would increase the max for the tongue weight...
    Wrong. Directly from Timbren's FAQs:

Q. CAN I HAUL MORE WEIGHT ON MY TRUCK IF I INSTALL TIMBREN’S SES KIT?

A. You cannot exceed the manufacturer’s axle rating or GVW rating of the vehicle. A Timbren suspension enhancement system will greatly enhance the performance of a heavily-loaded vehicle by adding to the spring rate. You can expect reduced sag, and improved roll stability.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Wrong. Directly from Timbren's FAQs:

Q. CAN I HAUL MORE WEIGHT ON MY TRUCK IF I INSTALL TIMBREN’S SES KIT?

A. You cannot exceed the manufacturer’s axle rating or GVW rating of the vehicle. A Timbren suspension enhancement system will greatly enhance the performance of a heavily-loaded vehicle by adding to the spring rate. You can expect reduced sag, and improved roll stability.
    ^^ what Howard said.

I installed Timbrens on my truck which made a dramatic difference in handling while towing yet it’s completely unnoticeable when unloaded.
    The Timbrens also leveled the truck while towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I knew this, I was just showing how the dealership was trying to blow smoke and get around what I was saying.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast