User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric Heat Strip?

I was doing some reading tonight and discovered that the A/C in my '19 Imagine 2600rb (Mach 15 I think) can be fitted with an electric coil heat strip.

We live in north FL, so heater usage would likely be pretty rare. I just want something to take the edge off a chilly night without burning LP.

I was wondering if anyone has installed one and if it was worth it and what was involved. Did you have to change the thermostat to keep the furnace functional?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    I was doing some reading tonight and discovered that the A/C in my '19 Imagine 2600rb (Mach 15 I think) can be fitted with an electric coil heat strip.

We live in north FL, so heater usage would likely be pretty rare. I just want something to take the edge off a chilly night without burning LP.

I was wondering if anyone has installed one and if it was worth it and what was involved. Did you have to change the thermostat to keep the furnace functional?

Our 2002 Citation pick-up camper had a heat strip in the AC unit. It heated very well. A bit noisy, but when you want to warm up the rig quickly, it did the job.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can see, the strip is only about $45. If I don't have to buy a thermostat to make it work this is happening. I'll call airexcel tomorrow if I can get some free time at work.

2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the heat strip in my bedroom AC. If you are expecting heat from this add-on you are going to be disappointed.The very best you are going to get is "barely noticeable" My advice is, don't waste your money.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see this thread. We had GDRV factory service center install a Dometic 13.5 low profile BR AC this spring. The thermostat and AC unit does have the heat strip option. I have thought about adding this too but hokensalem's feedback has me re-thinking.

We did have a heat strip AC in one of prior Class C mini-homes and it worked quite well. Possibly it is the difference in AC unit brand or a couple decades degradation in effectiveness and design.

Look forward to feedback from others who have installed the heat strip or had it from the GDRV factory at build (which I do not think is offered but Carol reminds me often that I am mistaken.)

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Good to see this thread. We had GDRV factory service center install a Dometic 13.5 low profile BR AC this spring. The thermostat and AC unit does have the heat strip option. I have thought about adding this too but hokensalem's feedback has me re-thinking.

We did have a heat strip AC in one of prior Class C mini-homes and it worked quite well. Possibly it is the difference in AC unit brand or a couple decades degradation in effectiveness and design.

Look forward to feedback from others who have installed the heat strip or had it from the GDRV factory at build (which I do not think is offered but Carol reminds me often that I am mistaken.)

Dan
    I don't remember seeing it as an option on the build & price page, but who knows.

If it's not too much money, I'll do it just for giggles. My wife will tell you, I can't leave anything alone.
    Last edited by TheGuy; 02-05-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your thermostat have a second option for heat? Mine has Cool and Heat (furnace). I expect with the strips I'd need something like Cool, Heat (Furnace), Heat (Electric). I imagine it'd be the same if I had a heat pump on the roof. I wish I'd thought of getting a heat pump when I was buying it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your thermostat have a second option for heat? Mine has Cool and Heat (furnace). I expect with the strips I'd need something like Cool, Heat (Furnace), Heat (Electric). I imagine it'd be the same if I had a heat pump on the roof. I wish I'd thought of getting a heat pump when I was buying it.
    If you are asking me, yes it does have the Heat Pump/Heat Strip option along with the std Furnace/AC settings.

Here is the Dometic link to the thermostat: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...ostat-_-164511

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    If you are asking me, yes it does have the Heat Pump/Heat Strip option along with the std Furnace/AC settings.

Here is the Dometic link to the thermostat: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...ostat-_-164511

Dan
    Yeah, I was. I hit the wrong button and didn't quote you. I have a different thermostat and I think it only has 1 heat option. I figured I'd probably have to get something different to control the two modes. I haven't played with it enough to know for sure, but I'm going to take a closer look tonight.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was. I hit the wrong button and didn't quote you. I have a different thermostat and I think it only has 1 heat option. I figured I'd probably have to get something different to control the two modes. I haven't played with it enough to know for sure, but I'm going to take a closer look tonight.
    Looking deeper into this, I wonder if to make the heat strip option displayed on my current thermostat actually work, that I may need this thermostat/control kit product instead:https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...l-kit-_-164507

I suspect the thermostat may be the same just that the addition of the control kit is necessary to make it operational. Maybe just the control kit can be purchased if my current thermostat is correct. Not going to look into it now but sometime later I will.

Guy - if you (or others) learn or know more, please share the goods.

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast