User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Might add a whole new wrinkle to the endless gas vs diesel debate. If that 7.3L has the grunt to pull/haul and are reliable, those of us with diesels may find our trucks are not as valuable at trade in time as in the past.
    Hi Howard,

I have been saying for years that the “dividing line” between where a gasoline engine can get the job done and where you really need a diesel is a trailer weight of about 10,000 lbs. These new gasoline engines may raise that bar.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that note, my 2018 f150 V8 puts out 610lbs of torque, of course it has been modified for an amount I’m too new to this forum to mention...( that means embarrassed)
    James and Kim
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 2500 Duramax, SWD,

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JmacKim View Post
    On that note, my 2018 f150 V8 puts out 610lbs of torque, of course it has been modified for an amount I’m too new to this forum to mention...( that means embarrassed)
    James,

We do have to figure out how to cross paths . . . just so you can show me the “details” of your supercharged F150!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JmacKim View Post
    James,

That is awesome torque! But performance engines and heavy duty engines are very different. Performance engines make big power and torque while being lightly loaded and while moving at higher speeds where all that heat can be dissipated. Industrial engines will make good torque but can do it indefinitely under heavy load. What does Roush say you can tow?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roush says what their lawyers told them to say, so they avoid giving their approval on just about anything, especially in an email. That said, I agree with your comment towards engines, no dispute from me...My V8 performs better than it did without the mod, speed doesn’t interest me whatsoever, I rarely go over 90kms( 55mph) an hour, my TV is amazing on hills and on on-ramps and it brought my fuel mileage down a bit too.
    When I do grow up, my next TV will be a diesel, that new 2020 GMC is looking pretty good so far.
    James and Kim
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 2500 Duramax, SWD,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, I sense it’ll happen, I tend to gravitate towards the “pillars of knowledge” , keeps me humble!
    James and Kim
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 2500 Duramax, SWD,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    James,

That is awesome torque! But performance engines and heavy duty engines are very different. Performance engines make big power and torque while being lightly loaded and while moving at higher speeds where all that heat can be dissipated. Industrial engines will make good torque but can do it indefinitely under heavy load. What does Roush say you can tow?
    Performance VS Heavy duty engine, I got news for you the 302 coyote V8 engine is a heavy duty engine that will perform as long as any diesel. And will handle the boost of a Roush blower no problem. As far as a diesel being industrial it better be or its going to fly apart. And many of them do. Back in the 1980'2 & early 90's I drove a ford F-250 460 V8 with manual transmissions over all the passes in the 4 corners in my dirt const business. At that time the diesel were naturally asperated just like the gas engine. My 460 would blow these industrial engines right off the road. Up Wolf Creek, Red mtn & Lizard Passes, it didn't matter. Finally they put turbo's & after coolers on these industrial engines so they could even keep up. If a turbo charger & after cooler bolted to a industrial engine isn't a performance up grade then what is? Fords new 7.3 gas engine has 6 bolt main bearings & built for boost, just like the industrial diesel. Cant wait to get mine put a blower on it & eat me some industrial engines. Paul Harvey with the rest of the story.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Performance VS Heavy duty engine, I got news for you the 302 coyote V8 engine is a heavy duty engine that will perform as long as any diesel. And will handle the boost of a Roush blower no problem. As far as a diesel being industrial it better be or its going to fly apart. And many of them do. Back in the 1980'2 & early 90's I drove a ford F-250 460 V8 with manual transmissions over all the passes in the 4 corners in my dirt const business. At that time the diesel were naturally asperated just like the gas engine. My 460 would blow these industrial engines right off the road. Up Wolf Creek, Red mtn & Lizard Passes, it didn't matter. Finally they put turbo's & after coolers on these industrial engines so they could even keep up. If a turbo charger & after cooler bolted to a industrial engine isn't a performance up grade then what is? Fords new 7.3 gas engine has 6 bolt main bearings & built for boost, just like the industrial diesel. Cant wait to get mine put a blower on it & eat me some industrial engines. Paul Harvey with the rest of the story.
    The Ford 460 is an industrial engine. You seem to be all over this. Good luck.
    Jim
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 02-07-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Been to the race track lately. These diesel trucks with a chip can't be beat. Even the supped up cars can't beat them.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    The Ford 460 is an industrial engine. You seem to be all over this. Good luck.
    Jim
    Jim,
    No luck involved bro, its just way that it is. For the record: Me & my dad owned a dirt const business in the 4corners I spent my life running D8 caterpillar dozers 1000's of hours in the seat before I retired. We had 627 20 yards Caterpillar scrapers diesel engines on both ends 4 wheel drive. Nothing stopped them LOL. I helped overhaul Caterpillar diesel engines with pistons the size of medium coffee cans. As you can see its not my first rodeo with diesel's. That being said the best diesels I saw said "Caterpillar". And I don't see that brand on any truck today. Too bad because they are the best.
    Good luck bro
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast