User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was one of Fords best trucks. I had one for eight years and then foolishly bought a new Ford with the 6.0. Had the 6.0 for only two years. Left us strand-dad three times (2 - new turbos, fuel pump) Wife wouldn't go camping again unless I got a new truck. Moved over to Dodge.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel
    2014 Reflection 293RES (sold)
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarnes4868 View Post
    That was one of Fords best trucks. I had one for eight years and then foolishly bought a new Ford with the 6.0. Had the 6.0 for only two years. Left us strand-dad three times (2 - new turbos, fuel pump) Wife wouldn't go camping again unless I got a new truck. Moved over to Dodge.
    With the price of these new TV's..
    Its cheaper to keep her !!!
    But...I wouldnt buy a new Ford either.

Dont wanna jinx myself, but it never vro3ke down once !!!
    Guess I've been lucky.

But, I drive like a senior citizen...
    Oh Wait...... I am a senior !!!
    Yikes ! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The details on the 7.3 are coming out. This is half new generation and half old generation motor. The 6.2 is a overhead valve engine, and it freely revs to get into its horsepower and torque band. That motor would be great for a 1/2 ton or lightly loaded pickup truck.

The 7.3 motor has conventional camshaft inside the block with pushrods. It gets its horsepower in a more narrow torque band at much lower rpm's, and it's good for a truck that's run all the time with heavy loads. If towing heavy loads, expect the 7.3 to get better fuel mileage and pull much better than the 6.2. If the 6.2 is pushing an unloaded truck much of its life, it's better for the streets.
    Last edited by Bamaman; 02-15-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The details on the 7.3 are coming out. This is half new generation and half old generation motor. The 6.2 is a overhead valve engine, and it freely revs to get into its horsepower and torque band. That motor would be great for a 1/2 ton or lightly loaded pickup truck.

The 7.3 motor has conventional camshaft inside the block with pushrods. It gets its horsepower in a more narrow torque band at much lower rpm's, and it's good for a truck that's run all the time with heavy loads. If towing heavy loads, expect the 7.3 to get better fuel mileage and pull much better than the 6.2. If the 6.2 is pushing an unloaded truck much of its life, it's better for the streets.
    Kind of doubt a 7.3 L is going to get better gas mileage than a 6.2. The 7.3 dually pulling a 12,000 lb 5th wheel will probably get around 5 mpg. A diesel will get about 10.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    Kind of doubt a 7.3 L is going to get better gas mileage than a 6.2. The 7.3 dually pulling a 12,000 lb 5th wheel will probably get around 5 mpg. A diesel will get about 10.
    It will be interesting to see what kind of gas mileage the 7.3 gets. My 6.2 only gets 8 mpg pulling, and 15 around town. Not what I was hoping for. Now you add the cost of DEF and the cost per mile (cpm) is even more expensive.

For me, I'm interested in the cpm, not the mpg. With gas running about $1 to $1.50 less than diesel and no requirement for DEF, you can easily take a hit on mpg and still come out ahead on cpm. So ... if a 7.3 will pull my Solitude 384GK (all weights considered) I may have to look at trading and going to gas. I figure I'll wait a few years (lime maybe 2022) before making the trade to see how the engine actually performs under real conditions. The Ford forums should provide some valuable feedback on this new engine once it hits the streets.

Just my $0.02

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COLRetired View Post
    It will be interesting to see what kind of gas mileage the 7.3 gets. My 6.2 only gets 8 mpg pulling, and 15 around town. Not what I was hoping for. Now you add the cost of DEF and the cost per mile (cpm) is even more expensive.

For me, I'm interested in the cpm, not the mpg. With gas running about $1 to $1.50 less than diesel and no requirement for DEF, you can easily take a hit on mpg and still come out ahead on cpm. So ... if a 7.3 will pull my Solitude 384GK (all weights considered) I may have to look at trading and going to gas. I figure I'll wait a few years (lime maybe 2022) before making the trade to see how the engine actually performs under real conditions. The Ford forums should provide some valuable feedback on this new engine once it hits the streets.

Just my $0.02

Pete
    Hi Pete,
    I thinks its wishful thinking that ANY gasser is gonna be capable of pulling a 42', 15,000 + trailer (even on the flats), never mind up those mountain passes in Colorado and Montana !!

Bigger and heavier, sure are pretty ...BUT they cost a lot to tow and campsites are limited.

I've found my 32 ft'er is the perfect size to go where ever you wanna camp with few exceptions.
    Plus, my original 7.3 gets 11-13 towing and 18-20 around town and fully loaded my GCWR is 19K.

Different strokes, as they say !!

Michael

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    Hi Pete,
    I thinks its wishful thinking that ANY gasser is gonna be capable of pulling a 42', 15,000 + trailer (even on the flats), never mind up those mountain passes in Colorado and Montana !!

Bigger and heavier, sure are pretty ...BUT they cost a lot to tow and campsites are limited.

I've found my 32 ft'er is the perfect size to go where ever you wanna camp with few exceptions.
    Plus, my original 7.3 gets 11-13 towing and 18-20 around town and fully loaded my GCWR is 19K.

Different strokes, as they say !!

Michael
    Yep, your probably right about the size of the 5er I'm pulling, but I'm still going to check out the specs they put out related to what the truck is rated to pull and what it's cargo carrying capacity is. I'm all about safety. I pulled my 44' 1999 Travel Supreme 5th wheel with a Volvo 770 for 2 years when we FT'd with our 4 kids. The Volvo only got 7.3 mpg and the sweet spot for mpg was 57 mph so I was the slow guy on the road. When we stopped traveling diesel was $4.52 a gallon. Sure hope those days don't come back.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COLRetired View Post
    Yep, your probably right about the size of the 5er I'm pulling, but I'm still going to check out the specs they put out related to what the truck is rated to pull and what it's cargo carrying capacity is. I'm all about safety. I pulled my 44' 1999 Travel Supreme 5th wheel with a Volvo 770 for 2 years when we FT'd with our 4 kids. The Volvo only got 7.3 mpg and the sweet spot for mpg was 57 mph so I was the slow guy on the road. When we stopped traveling diesel was $4.52 a gallon. Sure hope those days don't come back.

Pete
    Yes Pete...totally agree,
    and on a comic note about trailers and weights,
    you gotta watch this if you haven't already...

https://youtu.be/Z57zQNujPyY

Michael

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those concerned about plastic oil pans...... A friend had an early 90's F250 with the non-turbo 7.3 diesel. The metal oil pan rusted through right at the normal oil level. Had to lift the motor to get the pan off for weld repairs.
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS, purchased April 2018. 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (I need a bigger truck!). Oswego NY in the summer, Ft. Myers Beach, Fl in the winter. GD is my summer home. Previously owned: 2015 Rockwood 2604WS; 2012 KZ Stoneridge 43' toy hauler; 2005 Titanium 39' toy hauler.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast