User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the '80's AMC/Jeep used plastic valve covers on their in line 6. We never could get those to stay sealed. Finally, we started telling the customers "oh, that's just normal seepage'.
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    This is a great read where Ford brings out why a pushrod cam in block engine still has many advantages. The new 7.3 will be a great engine where it is very similar to a GM Gen4 engine with piston squirters, VVT, PFI, forged reciprocating components and more. Since GM has already announce their numbers on their 6.6 SIDI, Ford will most likely work to have slightly more peak power and torque. FCA who is last to the plate will most likely have the highest numbers of the three since GM and Ford will have played their hand. Fuel economy and emissions today is just as important as power and torque so this will be interesting. No doubt all the engines will be great for towing.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    The details on the 7.3 are coming out. This is half new generation and half old generation motor. The 6.2 is a overhead valve engine, and it freely revs to get into its horsepower and torque band. That motor would be great for a 1/2 ton or lightly loaded pickup truck.

The 7.3 motor has conventional camshaft inside the block with pushrods. It gets its horsepower in a more narrow torque band at much lower rpm's, and it's good for a truck that's run all the time with heavy loads. If towing heavy loads, expect the 7.3 to get better fuel mileage and pull much better than the 6.2. If the 6.2 is pushing an unloaded truck much of its life, it's better for the streets.
    Anything is possible but it will be unlikely the 7.3 will make its way into a half ton. Fuel economy and emissions will not be good in that classification of truck with the 7.3. This is what ultimately killed big blocks in auto's years ago.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the 10 speed tranny, the more gears the more you keep the rpm in the torque curve. The "plastic" oil pan is not a problem. Some composites are stronger then metal and I know guys that are going around 450 mph in "plastic" airplanes. I had a 460 for awhile and because of the 4 speed tranny I had 4.10's in the rear with the best mileage was 8mpg towing 7500 lbs. With a 10 speed hopefully you will get around 3.31's with will bring the mileage up. . Also be nice to get rear gears around 3.0 for a diesel and maybe get 13-15 mph with a 310GK. While I wont go back to gas it will be fun to see how this new engine/tranny package works out as the knowledge flows both ways.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that 7.3 gas and the 10 speed transmission has been out for awhile - anyone have real world experience? Youtube is filled with problems with the 10 speed - horrible noise while in drive with the brake on - can't find the right gear so its very clunky - class action law suit. I am considering this to pull my 260RD - only around 8500lbs the way we use it. If you watch youtube its all - this 10 speed is a pos - or the diesel will cost you way too much over the years because IT WILL break.

Any success stories out there? Any confirmation that the problems are not worth purchasing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I ended up buying a 2020 3/4 Sierra Denali Duramax, We’ve had it for an east coast trip last year, it pulls endlessly, transmission is amazing.
    2019 Imagine 2970RL

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual, those with problems and an internet connection are more likely to report than those without.
    Is there really a class action or just talk of one? News to me.
    IIRC the Chevys also have a very similar 10 speed...
    Not sure why diesels come up in a gas thread. Each has their application.
    I've read and viewed many successes around.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gijake View Post
    Now that 7.3 gas and the 10 speed transmission has been out for awhile - anyone have real world experience? Youtube is filled with problems with the 10 speed - horrible noise while in drive with the brake on - can't find the right gear so its very clunky - class action law suit. I am considering this to pull my 260RD - only around 8500lbs the way we use it. If you watch youtube its all - this 10 speed is a pos - or the diesel will cost you way too much over the years because IT WILL break.

Any success stories out there? Any confirmation that the problems are not worth purchasing?
    That's strange news. the 10 speed development was a joint venture between Ford and GM. The are both almost identical. just different OS. I have not heard of any issues locally.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thxs - not sure about the class action law suit - read an article about a guy from PA starting it.

I currently have a 2020 2500 HD with the diesel and having a boat load of issues. Dumping it and really considering the gas. I really want to love my Chevy but it keeps having problems - DEF - trailer brake. All "fixed" and the fixes didn't take. The day I bought my truck it was pouring out so I didn't get a good look at the underside till I washed it. Surface rust all over the bottom. Leaf springs - drive shaft - brake components - around any holes in the frame. Immediately brought it to the dealership who immediately told me they have a service bulletin on it - chevys aware of the issue and not gonna do anything about it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3/4 ton and up 10 speed was not a joint venture between Ford and GM. The were together on the 1/2 ton 10 speed and went separate ways on the HD 10 speed. That said, I bet they are close to the same design internally.

Ford has already announced a 6.8 version of the 7.3 destined for Mustang and most likely F150.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast