User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Blue Ox WDH--An Alternative Method to Connect the Bars

The regulars here know of my dislike for how the Blue Ox bars connect (and disconnect). For those that haven't read my specific complaint and want to know more, check out post #5 in this linked thread. That thread was not my first (or last) rant--here is a thread from when I was a newbie on the topic.

I've been on a mission to find an alternative to the standard method of connecting (and disconnecting) my 2,000 lb-rated Blue Ox bars. I even went and looked at a Pro Pride setup to see if I could incorporate their bar system into the Blue Ox. (If you're curious, here is the thread on the conversation. BL--I decided against it.)

So that brings us to today. What I am going to show you is how I install (and remove) the Blue Ox bars using my PowerBuilt jack. I have experimented with this process for many weeks (using my truck's 4 ton jack) but refrained from posting because the round top of the truck's jack made the lift of the bars precarious. With my (new) PowerBuilt jack I now feel it is safe enough to post for others to see what I am doing. (But if you try this it is at your own risk!)

First--note the truck is not setup for a tow. The pictures and videos here are just for demonstration and practice.

Here's the starting point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	17528

To install the first bar I had to use the tongue jack for about 15-18 seconds lifting the truck. The jack was under load but it wasn't straining excessively when I stopped. I went just high enough to put the jack under the bar.

Name:	Mid Point.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	17529

Note how the bar is cradled by the PowerBuilt's u-shaped lift arm.

Name:	cradle.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	17530

The model I hired to do these next two videos failed to show up, so you're stuck looking at my mug. (Sorry.) Note this is the first time I've done this process with the PowerBuilt so I fumble a bit and don't do it as elegantly as I would with a little practice.

To see how the PowerBuilt lifts the Blue Ox bar and how easy it is to connect, watch this video:

I can only attach one video to this post, so see the next one to watch how easy it is to disconnect.

END OF FIRST POST--please go to #2 for the continuation...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue Ox WDH--An Alternative Method to Connect the Bars (cont.)

Here's the second video showing how the bar comes off:

Again, let me emphasize caution if you attempt to duplicate what I do. If you have the Blue Ox you know when the bars unload they do so in a big hurry. Any body part in the way will be severely damaged, so safety first!

As always, I accept your constructive inputs and comments.

-Howard

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard

First off, I agree with you.. I have a Blue Ox Swaypro as well. Mine has 1500 lb bars. My current setup is 9 links. With my Ram 2500 I had to lift the truck up, dang near until the wheels were off the ground and even then, it took some beef to hook 'em up. With the 3500 I have now, it's a lot easier and I can almost do them by hand.

But, the tongue jack has to work really hard to lift the combination of truck and trailer to the desired level. My jack recently started to really labor to lift the 3500. To the point where the gears started slipping the last time I unhooked, and the fuse popped. Im probably at the point of having to replace the tongue jack. I want to find one that is higher rated weight wise than 3500. Of course, this comes at the time I intend to eventually trade my TT in for a 5er.

Your approach seems like a good alternative. I don't know if I'll adopt it or not, but nice alternative approach.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard
    Very good job. That looks like a nice safe way to do this with out breaking some body part off. It looks like a little more time consuming but safety is worth it.

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i concur THIS IS THE BEST WAY IVE EVER SEEN THIS DONE!!

i as well have a ram 2500, with air ride suspension and have taken my hand off and am scared to death of this thing....lifting the rear so dang high it is not good on the air bags......UNTIL NOW!!

what rating is that jack?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j2048b View Post
    yes i concur THIS IS THE BEST WAY IVE EVER SEEN THIS DONE!!

i as well have a ram 2500, with air ride suspension and have taken my hand off and am scared to death of this thing....lifting the rear so dang high it is not good on the air bags......UNTIL NOW!!

what rating is that jack?
    3 Ton. https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-62...003ULZGFU?th=1

(Note: I have no financial or other interest in PowerBuilt and the link above does not pay me a commission. It is provided for your convenience.)
    Last edited by howson; 02-19-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an owner of the Blue Ox sway pro system, I too hated the pull ups that come with it. So about two years ago I discovered the StrapTek system and bought them. I've been using them for two complete camping seasons and have had ZERO issues with them.

They are basically a ratcheting winch system (one winch for each bar) which allows you to hook up the end of the strap and then ratchet it up until you have got the proper tension on the bar. Repeat for the other side. When it's time to release them, you put your wrench (I use a 1/2" drive ratchet wrench with a 3/4" socket on it) on the device and apply pressure as if you were going to try and tighten it even more. While holding the wrench with one hand, you release the catch on the strap winch and slowly let off the tension on that bar. Release the strap winch catch and let it hold the tension that is still on the bar and reposition your wrench and repeat until you have released all the tension from the bar. So the other side the same way....and your done. From the time I'm hooked up (tongue resting on the ball and locked, until I have fully tensioned both bars, it takes about 30 seconds to do each straptek winch. Releasing them takes about the same amount of time. This system turns the Blue Ox into a safe, quick, and enjoyable way to hook up the W.D. hitch. Before I found the StrapTek, I was ready to sell my brand new B.O. swaypro and try something else....it really makes hooking up easy and fast.

PS....I'm a new member here, but I'm not new to camping or W.D. experience. Also, a disclaimer....I am in no way associated with StrapTek, I'm just a happy customer for their product.
    Last edited by xrated; 02-11-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, hated unhitching my BO Sway Pro, 1500 lb bars, 2 1/2" receiver so I ordered the StrapTek. Shipping was delayed from Amazon which works out because Friday I traded in my bumper pull trailer for a Solitude 310GK-R 5th wheel! I was able to cancel the order for the StrapTek and now will be selling the BO. I only have to use it 1 more time when I take it to trade-in. Thrilled to be a new Grand Design owner! I loved everything about the Blue Ox EXCEPT disconnecting. They are great hitches.

And, yes, I'm new here too but on my 5th trailer/1st 5th wheel.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    As an owner of the Blue Ox sway pro system, I too hated the pull ups that come with it. So about two years ago I discovered the StrapTek system and bought them. I've been using them for two complete camping seasons and have had ZERO issues with them.

They are basically a ratcheting winch system (one winch for each bar) which allows you to hook up the end of the strap and then ratchet it up until you have got the proper tension on the bar. Repeat for the other side. When it's time to release them, you put your wrench (I use a 1/2" drive ratchet wrench with a 3/4" socket on it) on the device and apply pressure as if you were going to try and tighten it even more. While holding the wrench with one hand, you release the catch on the strap winch and slowly let off the tension on that bar. Release the strap winch catch and let it hold the tension that is still on the bar and reposition your wrench and repeat until you have released all the tension from the bar. So the other side the same way....and your done. From the time I'm hooked up (tongue resting on the ball and locked, until I have fully tensioned both bars, it takes about 30 seconds to do each straptek winch. Releasing them takes about the same amount of time. This system turns the Blue Ox into a safe, quick, and enjoyable way to hook up the W.D. hitch. Before I found the StrapTek, I was ready to sell my brand new B.O. swaypro and try something else....it really makes hooking up easy and fast.

PS....I'm a new member here, but I'm not new to camping or W.D. experience. Also, a disclaimer....I am in no way associated with StrapTek, I'm just a happy customer for their product.
    The Straptek system has been mentioned before. I *think* the reason I didn't go with the system was during the release process it looked like the operator still had to control all of the bar tension manually. From your description it sounds like there's no issue with control, which is good! I'm glad to see it works better than I anticipated--nice to have options.

Thanks for the post--and welcome to the forum!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to look into the Strap-Tek system. Sounds worth investigating. Although I am in the research mode of upgrading to a 5er.

Thanks

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast