User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado East Slope in March

We plan to head back to the Midwest in early March from the Mesa, AZ area. I am considering a round about way home via northern New Mexico and the East Slope of Colorado to Denver then East.

My question/concern is what is the weather typically like in those areas at that time? I know it can get cold and snowy at elevations, as we have seen here for Flagstaff, etc. We will certainly check forecasts before taking that route but if it is usually bad weather, I'd like to save the time and plan something else.

Thanks.

Tom

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your planning a scenic route, 160 out of Durango over Wolf Creek is beautiful. Then when you get to Alamosa head north to the sand dunes (sh17). From there continue north to Leadville and then swing east to Denver. Or at Alamosa continue on 160 to Walsenburg. You can go north or East from there. To bypass Denver from Walsenburg , at Colorado Springs cut over on 24 to get to I70. All roads are OK from what I remember. Wolf creek is a snap, just watch the grades. March can be a very fickle weather month. 60's and sunny in the morning and 30 and a blizzard that afternoon. Just keep a watch on the weather. Lots to see and do on US 160 with good camping along the way.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    If your planning a scenic route, 160 out of Durango over Wolf Creek is beautiful. Then when you get to Alamosa head north to the sand dunes (sh17). From there continue north to Leadville and then swing east to Denver. Or at Alamosa continue on 160 to Walsenburg. You can go north or East from there. To bypass Denver from Walsenburg , at Colorado Springs cut over on 24 to get to I70. All roads are OK from what I remember. Wolf creek is a snap, just watch the grades. March can be a very fickle weather month. 60's and sunny in the morning and 30 and a blizzard that afternoon. Just keep a watch on the weather. Lots to see and do on US 160 with good camping along the way.
    Yes that is a beautiful drive. Wolf creek pass is something. The "shortcut" on the 24 to I70 is 2 lane most of the way, but not too bad.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lived in Denver 30 years, I've seen it snow 3 feet in early March or be sunny and 75. No way to tell for sure until you're a few days out.

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolf Creek is a snap as long as you respect the fact that with improper driving it is easy to overheat and even lose your brakes. Use your transmission's lower gears to limit your speed on the downgrades. I obey the speed limit for trucks, mostly 25. Even with manually staying in second gear with engine brake on, you will gain speed so I recommend hard braking to quickly take off 10 mph. Stinky cooked brake pads, heat cracked and warped rotors are expensive items to but. But by slowing down, you will have time to marvel at the beauty. It also is smart to listen to local radio weather.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts