User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on Satellite Wiring Channel

Just after purchasing our Solitude 310GK-R, I walked the roof to get a sense of how things looked etc. I noticed behind the bedroom air conditioner an aluminum plate sealed with dicor and wondered what it was for. Then when installing a EMS box in the basement, I noticed when looking up, an opening with a label indicating something to the effect satellite wiring channel. So my question can I assume the aluminum plate once removed will allow wiring to be easily routed directly down into the basement area? Thx.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Just after purchasing our Solitude 310GK-R, I walked the roof to get a sense of how things looked etc. I noticed behind the bedroom air conditioner an aluminum plate sealed with dicor and wondered what it was for. Then when installing a EMS box in the basement, I noticed when looking up, an opening with a label indicating something to the effect satellite wiring channel. So my question can I assume the aluminum plate once removed will allow wiring to be easily routed directly down into the basement area? Thx.
    Yes you are correct. I have the same channel on my 376, it had a 3/4" blue pex pipe. I used it to feed my cables down for my sat tv antenna and then later I had to remove it to get my solar power cables down the same channel. It is not a big opening and mine had a lot of other wires running down the same channel.
    Monty and Nena, with our 4 legged friend Allie

2018 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn CC 4X4 DRW Mopar M25 hitch with 90 gal Aux tank
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 376TH
    2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, that is good to know. I plan on doing a solar install and will likely make the install easier not having to route the wires through other possibilities.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am installing a solar panel on the roof to keep my batteries maintained during storage. I want to use that channel to run the wires from the panel down into the basement area and to the front compartment to the solar controller.

I'd prefer not to remove that small roof cap but would like to drill a 1" hole in it for my wires. Did GD mount that metal cap such that if I drill in the center of the cap I will hit the hole in the roof?
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    I am installing a solar panel on the roof to keep my batteries maintained during storage. I want to use that channel to run the wires from the panel down into the basement area and to the front compartment to the solar controller.

I'd prefer not to remove that small roof cap but would like to drill a 1" hole in it for my wires. Did GD mount that metal cap such that if I drill in the center of the cap I will hit the hole in the roof?
    I would recommend to remove it and look to see where the hole is, on mine it was toward the outside edge. I would also recommend that you get a solar wire cap that will seal your wires going down the channel. just use a lot of sealant to seal it up.

2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a satellite antenna on mine. I recommend that you remove the plate. Use a heat gun with a putty knife to make the job easier. It still can be a pain. Install a new cable cover plate (available online) and then go crazy with self leveling Dicor. It will smooth itself out and make for a nice seal and professional look.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjaike View Post
    Yes you are correct. I have the same channel on my 376, it had a 3/4" blue pex pipe. I used it to feed my cables down for my sat tv antenna and then later I had to remove it to get my solar power cables down the same channel. It is not a big opening and mine had a lot of other wires running down the same channel.
    Follow up questions, when you installed your solar, did you use a combiner box? I ask because at least in my case the aluminum plate on the roof that covers the wiring channel is very close to the back of the bedroom AC cover. Also, you indicate the apparently tight fit, do you think passing a set of 2-awg and a set of of 4-awg wires is doable? Thanks.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow up questions, when you installed your solar, did you use a combiner box? I ask because at least in my case the aluminum plate on the roof that covers the wiring channel is very close to the back of the bedroom AC cover. Also, you indicate the apparently tight fit, do you think passing a set of 2-awg and a set of of 4-awg wires is doable? Thanks.
    I remember mention of passing cables down the channel: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-install-310GK
    "Grand design calls out a chase from the roof to the basement for satellite or solar cabling. It will do for the RG-6 for a satellite cable, but it is too small to accommodate our solar cabling. It is roughly as big as one of my fingers."
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My head is spinning after a conversation with Grand Design about this 'satellite ready' Solitude.

Got all my parts and pieces to install the 100 watt solar panel on roof to keep my batteries charged while in storage. Mounted panel on roof. Removed little plate near the OTA TV antenna expecting to find the hole/Pex tubing conduit so I could run the solar wires down to the basement. Nothing seen in opening but a 1" x 3" board in center of opening. No holes, no conduit visible. After poking around in the opening with a flashlight and a long screwdriver, I finally located a small hole in the 1 x 3 that was 2 inches or so left of the roof opening. It already had three pairs of wires in it and it was no way you could run more thru it. So I went down to basement and tried to push a still long wire (some romex) up thru the hole in basement to roof. I worked years ago for an electrician and snaked enough wire to know when wire was just curling up inside a wall. That is what the romex did.

So I placed a call to GD customer service to see what they said. They were having 'heavier than usual' traffic so all I could do was leave my number. Hours later I got a call back. Here is the amazing story I was told by a 'service supervisor.':

..Said there should be a hole in that 1 x 3 and apparently production folks forgot to drill it. No PEX since they stopped using it. Said the 3/4 PEX was too small for most satellite and solar installations so they stopped using it. When I asked why they didn't then install a larger diameter conduit, got no satisfactory answer. He only said the wires could be snaked down thru the wall to the basement. When I asked again how they expected that to happen without conduit, he said most of the time you had to use a wire pulling snake and it wasn't always easy. I asked him if they had any real electricians or anyone with real electrical knowledge working there who would have surely recommended conduit and he didn't answer.

So, I asked what they planned to do for me since they advertised this Solitude as 'satellite ready'? I told him both the salesman and someone I called at Grand Design before I bought the rig to confirm told me there was an easy way to run wires from roof to basement. He said take it to the dealer and have them drill a hole thru the 1 x 3. I told him I could drill the hole and asked if I should drill at the very center of the roof opening. He hesitated and said the hole should be 20" from the outside wall. I asked him if the roof opening was always placed so that could be done and he only said he hoped they did that.

Sorry folks but either these folks are stupid or just too lazy to do even simple things right. I am confused about all that 'great customer service from Grand Design' folks on this forum talk about.

I had to get the solar panel working since we are leaving for home soon so ran the wires down next to the edge of the front curb side slide and under the overhang. Doesn't look great but gets the job done for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190218_154044.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	17744

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190218_154118.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	17745
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first I had 3 RG6 coax cables and the control cable for the dish. When I put the solar on I took out 2 coax cables and put a set of 10 awg for my solar. I did not use a combiner box. Yours may be smaller than mine as it my go down the side wall.

2014 Harley Tri-Glide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast