Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to handle screw in vent stack?

While doing a little exploring to see where to run wires for solar, I discovered a perfectly placed screw in the vent stack. It is a screw holding up the cabinets from the hutch area. I backed the screw out and drilled the hole in the wood (from the cabinet side) a little bigger to try and see if it penetrated the pipe. There is a definite hole in the pipe although I cannot tell how deep into the pipe it goes. Not sure on the next step. I don't want to leave the screw there because it will probably cause more damage down the road. My thoughts are

1. Possible foam inside the area to try and seal it
    2. Caulking into to area
    3. Remove cabinets, enlarge hole and patch somehow
    4. Not worry about it.

This is not a easy area to access and is about 5 feet inside the wall. Not letting a dealer touch it. The good thing is it appears to be from a gray tank (possibly bathroom) so I thinking not much smell should escape. Thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1384.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	17538
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1385.JPG  
    Last edited by Justa5th; 02-06-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justa5th - I would fill a glue syringe with silicone. Insert this through the screw hole in the wall and generously cover the area where the screw went into the vent stack.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Glue Syringe.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update. Removed the shelf support (and unfortunately broke) and drilled larger hole that would be "hidden" Probed with paperclip. It didn't appear the hole went all the way through. I was able to apply silicon from a tube onto the area as a backup. Now to repair what I screwed up lol.
    Last edited by Justa5th; 02-06-2019 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It being the vent, I would probably use the screw to seal the hole with some sealant and call it good. Shouldn't be a water leakage issue and the screw would seal any possible vapor issues. JMHO

Dennis