User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That is not the plan we have. We are on the new pre-paid plan with truly unlimited data on the JetPack (data not shared with the phones). There is no throttling or slow-down past certain points. It's a completely different animal that the so-called "Unlimited" post-paid plans.

Rob
    Our plan includes two phones and the Jet Pac. We pay $235 per month. Is the pre-paid data plan for the Jet Pac expensive?
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    Our plan includes two phones and the Jet Pac. We pay $235 per month. Is the pre-paid data plan for the Jet Pac expensive?
    Verizon Unlimited Prepaid $65/mo with autopay + ~$7 taxes & fees.
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/ Scroll down to: Tablet & Jetpack Plans
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    On the pre-paid plan, our two phones (3GB/month each) and the JetPack with unlimited data are running $105/month (total of $15 in discounts for auto-pay, multi-line, etc.) plus $9.19 in taxes. On our post-paid plan, we were paying about $185/month with 20GB of shared data among all three devices. That's a considerable price difference and we're getting unlimited data on the JetPack, to boot. Some folks have responded that they couldn't get by with just 3GB/month on the phone(s), but we never come anywhere close to using up the phone data.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I have an external antenna I used on the 6620L. The reading I've done on the cellular blogs/forums says that the two plastic-plugged ports on the 8800L are test ports and will not work with antennas. There's a member of this forum who has contradicted that and says they do work with antennas and he is doing so (even PC Mag calls them antenna ports) - I have not tried. The external antenna often made a 1- to 2-bar difference on the 6620L. Since our 8800L is brand new, I haven't mustered up the courage to pry out the plastic plugs on in to try... perhaps when it's out of warranty or the first time I can't get a usable signal (whichever comes first).

Rob
    I just went out to my RV, which is parked in my driveway, to see how the external antenna affects the mifi.

My tablet was connected to my 400 meg cable wifi and I got about 40 meg average over half a dozen speedtest.net tests. Obviously, I'm running an old wifi protocol that was limiting the max speed.

I switched the tablet wifi connection to the Verizon mifi and got an average of about 40 meg without the antenna and about 25 med WITH the antenna. However, the mifi went from three to five bars and -92 db to -72 db with the antenna. The signal strength was significantly higher, but the throughput was much lower. This antenna only has a five foot cable so the antenna was located inside the RV on top of one of the window valances. I thought that was a pretty significant increase in signal strength and I'd like to experiment with the antenna mounted outside or with a higher gain antenna.

I saw something similar a few years ago when my closest tower was still on 3G and my phone would try to connect to a more distant 4G tower. It kept dropping calls until I selected 3G only on the phone. I suspect that with the antenna, the hotspot was trying to connect to a different tower that didn't have as much bandwidth available, but I'm going to run some more tests at different times and with different hardware.

FWIW, the Verizon store rep said the ports were test ports, but they worked well for an antenna. The signal strength certainly shows the antenna effectiveness. Putting the puck on the Wilson Sleek doesn't seem to do anything.

The amount of data used is jumbled on my mifi, too, and I've been unable to set up web access for the prepaid account.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 cell phones 2 mifi $257 a month. We will use 20-30 gb a month. The phones rarely approach the 15gb limit. Now here's a fun thing, the 15gb limit is not per plan, it's per device. I use one jetpack for my computer BR uses a different one. When on jetpack reaches 15gb and gets throttled we double up on the other on. If both get throttled we set up the phones as hot spots. Typically we hit about 13 gb per month on the mifi I use, I tend to watch more utube and upload more pictures. I probably ought to look at the prepaid stuff, but haven't got round to it.

As far as boosters and external antenna that I have tried they have not been worth the time and money spent. Wilsons has a pretty decent one for about $300, I looked at it, but by the time I was fed up enough with the poor signal strength to spend that kind of money we had moved on and I haven't been any place where I would have needed it since then.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 02-07-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12