User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSI on Hot water heater

I need someone to explain to me how the DSI works. When we switch from electric to propane, occasionally the DSI light comes on in the panel. Does it come on only when the water is heating, then goes off when heated or is there something wrong? I know that the DSI is the direct spark ignition, but not exactly sure when the light turns on. Thank you in advance for your help.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly, when my water heater failed to light when using propane the DSI light turned on.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally a DSI light is a fault light. You could be out of propane, have a bug nest in your burner area, or have bad parts.

What water heater do you have?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is common for the DSI light to come on when first switching from electric to gas or firing up gas the first time. The light should go out in 15 secods or so as the gas begins to flow. If the light is coming on during normal operations you might want to check your tanks to makesure they are full.

The downside is that if this isn't the issue, then it is probably the control board, which is a known problem and about a $100 fix.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The DSI light is a fault, but it will always turn on at start up (no problem). It will light up until the controller is satisfied the gas is lit and running correctly. In normal operation, it will light up when you first start the water heater. This is not a problem. It should turn off in 15~30 sec (indicating the gas is correctly lit). If it does not turn off, that indicates a problem (the gas did not light or is not running correctly).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023