User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium Battery System Voltage

I just replaced my two 6v T105 batteries (225 amps usable) to a single 100 amp (80 amps usable) battery. I'm still undecided if I'm going to add a second and perhaps a third lithium battery as the lithium battery seems to give me about as many amp/hours of power as the - frequently undercharged - FLA batteries.

Per the manufacturer's recommendation, I set the converter to constant current/constant voltage and 14.6 volts. Unlike the converter used on FLA batteries, the converter now sits on 14.6 volts and never moves. The BMS shuts down charging at 100%. Of course, the house system - lights, alarms, radio, fridge control, etc - are also now running about one volt higher than before.

Has anyone observed any negative effects from the higher system voltage? Any premature failures in the DC circuits?

FWIW, the single lithium battery was $749, less $100 I got for the old batteries. I paid $271 with tax for the T105's, so my net cost was $378 to make the switch. I saved 90 lbs - which was right on the pin and moved the new 30 lb battery to a position under the steps in the basement (where I also moved the inverter to). In addition, on the rare occassions that we dry camp, I noticed that the FLA batteries were probably only getting recharged to about 80% of full capacity because the FLA charge rate slows substantially as the state of charge increases. The lithium battery will essentially recharge as quickly as I want to pump the juice in. The lithium batteries are reputed to have an expected life time of eight to ten times that of the FLA which further decreases the depreciative value. Note that while I did have to replace the converter with one programed for lithium, that was kind of my fault as I had just replaced the OEM converter and I should have selected one that would charge either FLA or lithium as most new converters do these days.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been running LiFePo Battle Born batteries for several months now. I've noticed no detrimental effects from the increased voltage levels.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have 4 Battle Borns and numerous threads here citing the benefits.
    No disadvantages so far.

My favorite feature is the fast charging you mentioned. Our solar charges our 400 amp hour bank from 50% to 100% in a few hours.

Oh, and one more thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I have 4 Battle Borns and numerous threads here citing the benefits.
    No disadvantages so far.

My favorite feature is the fast charging you mentioned. Our solar charges our 400 amp hour bank from 50% to 100% in a few hours.

Oh, and one more thing...

Thank you. Next round is on me.

You didn't exaggerate the benefits one bit and I appreciate the information you shared. I hope the battery manufacturer will send you your commission, promptly.

FWIW, just the opposite of your system, I went for a lower end system. No solar and just a single 100 amp battery - essentially just a drop in replacement for the lead-acids that I unexpectedly had to replace. I think the economic justification is even more compelling than on a more elaborate system.
    John and Jean

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Man I wish I could get a commission from Battle Born! I have sent them about $20k worth of business over the past year!
    ; )
    But I did swing by their booth at the big tent show in Quartzite and they gave me some Battle Born swag!

Check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have Battle Borne (3-100Ah) and getting ready to buy 4-more. We have just over a year with them and no issues and have followed the mfg parameters for programming the charge controller and battery monitor.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question. Everyone keeps talking about adding on more lithium batteries in the future. Are lithium batteries like FLA/AGM batteries?

What I am asking is that an old FLA/AGM used battery should not be used with a new battery, correct? So adding a new lithium battery along with older lithium batteries has no side effects? It does not draw down the new lithium to the same level as the old lithium battery?

Maybe I’m missing something.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to save up to get some Lithium batteries. Would like to get six of them, (The GF and LIKE to watch TV at night and run everything) we do a lot of boon docking that is why so many.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    I have a question. Everyone keeps talking about adding on more lithium batteries in the future. Are lithium batteries like FLA/AGM batteries?

What I am asking is that an old FLA/AGM used battery should not be used with a new battery, correct? So adding a new lithium battery along with older lithium batteries has no side effects? It does not draw down the new lithium to the same level as the old lithium battery?

Maybe I’m missing something.
    I was concerned about that when I purchased mine and I was told that "within reason" its not a concern and "a few months difference" would not be a problem. Keep in mind that I was cued up to buy a second battery at that point so it would have been to their advantage to tell me that they needed to be the same age.

When you compare the life vs % charge curves between lithium and AGM it makes sense as the lithium curve is nearly flat because of the number of cycles they will accept before they lose any meaningful capacity.

I was interested in seeing if a single lithium battery was an adequate replacement for two GC batteries and I'm convinced that it is actually a better solution, at least for me. Considering that the lithium provides about 80 amps and the GC batteries about 225 amps, it would seem that the GC's would win hands down. But I've seen two things that make me question just using amp capacity. First, when you recharge the FLA's with a generator - especially a small generator - you're unlikely to get more than about a 90% charge unless you run it all day. Seems like the longer the trip, the lower the percentage of charge is in practice. Second, it is so easy to over discharge FLA's - when was the last time you left it at a dealer's shop or in storage and came back to find the batteries flat - and every time that happens it further reduces the maximum capacity. I tried to be very careful with my batteries, yet I saw a noticeable decline in their capacity in just 18 months.

I think I will add at least one more battery, not because I have to, but because I want to. Having the additional capacity will allow use of the microwave or just extend the time between needing to run the generator.

What I've seen is there is a very good economic case to be made for replacing FLA's with lithium batteries and when you plug in the intangibles the lithiums look even better, much better.
    John and Jean

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    I am trying to save up to get some Lithium batteries. Would like to get six of them, (The GF and LIKE to watch TV at night and run everything) we do a lot of boon docking that is why so many.
    I would have to save for a long while for six of them. My little experiment makes me think that 100 amps of lithium (80 usable) would easily replace 450 amps of FLA's (225 usable). Just depends on your needs. I found that a single 100 amp lithium easily gave me five to six hours of lights and TV (which is our typical use). The real kicker is that the lithium battery could be easily recharged in a couple of hours using one or two little generators. A couple of solar panels could reduce that generator run time considerably.
    John and Jean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast