User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all. I presume it's a bad inverter. I have turned the main breaker off in the trailer and the fridge breaker off. I then turn the main breaker on. No problems. Immediately the gfci trips when I turn on the fridge breaker though. I have read about voltage leakage causing a gfci to trip. The romex wire from the fridge had a white, black, and bare copper wire. I wired these to the inverter with white-white, black-black, and green to bare copper. BUT, if the other end of the romex is wired incorrectly, making my connections wrong now on my end, would this cause the gfci to trip? I would guess there would be circuit breakers tripping if that were the case though.
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dose the inverter have a built in GFI? I am not an electrician, either but when I wired my house, I found out that if you have two GFI on the same circuit it will not work. As soon as you plug in or try to use it, it will trip.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any guidance or wiring that would result in a connection between ground and neutral in the RV? Your GFCI will trip if that is done. You can check with an ohmmeter to see of there is a connection.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am assuming that you have had your rig plugged into this same outlet before. If so then nothing in the rig is causing any kind of issue except the inverter you changed. There should not be any ground to neutral wiring issues, or they would have caused the gfci to trip before. Given it does not trip with the main breaker off, I would agree that the inverter is faulty, or the gfci outlet itself has gone bad. If you have another gfci outlet in your house you can try (a bathroom for instance) it would rule the outlet out before you go through the rma on the inverter.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talked with WFCO again on the phone. Very quick response and knowledgable. He said there is only a simple relay inside that allows “pass through” to AC power when plugged in. More likely the problem is in the romex wire...maybe nicked insulation. He suggested disconnecting the three wires, capping them, and plugging in the inverter to isolate it from the romex and proving the relay is not faulty. (A green lite on the unit comes on in AC mode.) I will retrim the romex leads and reattach with new connectors. Cant do it for about 10 days. Thanks all for the inputs
    RobM
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Is there any guidance or wiring that would result in a connection between ground and neutral in the RV? Your GFCI will trip if that is done. You can check with an ohmmeter to see of there is a connection.
    IMHO that's root to issue. A GFCI monitors the hot and the neutral legs to see that they each have exactly the same current. A few milliamps different and 'trip'. Usually a false trip (after a rewire) is caused by the ground taking some of the neutral current.

I added a GFCI feed breaker to a garage circuit that had worked fine for years, and it tripped. Found ground touching neutral in a box on the circuit. Not a problem (in some cases the neutral is tied to ground) until GFCI monitors for ground current leaks. Happy hunting. A ground leak can be easy or really hard to find. Removing all power and ohming out neutral to ground as mentioned by jkwilson is a good start.
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 SB SRW Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again everyone. Again, not an electrician, but could the other end of the romex that I wired to the inverter be reversed at the distribution panel? I dont know exactly where it is connected...I assume it’s to the “opt inverter” circuit breaker. Is it obvious to see if it is reversed? Is this what reversed hot and neutral symptoms look like? I will try to check the ground to neutral resistance when I can get to the trailer next week.

Edit. Posed a question in the Electronics section regarding where the fridge plug receptacle is exactly. Thinking plugging in a 3 way receptacle tester may give some clues.
    Last edited by RobM; 02-10-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    RobM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12