User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

installed new inverter, GFCI trips in my house

I am not an electrician. I replaced the original WFCO inverter with a new WFCO one. The other internally failed when I broke the remote cord in the basement. It is a hard-wired model designed to run the refrigerator. I hooked up the wires, white to white, black to black, and green to the copper wire. I used push-in connectors from Lowe's, rated to 600 volts. They all passed a "tug" test...all are secure. Is there any way that my wiring job could cause the GFCI to trip in my house? When I run the inverter in battery only mode, it works great. When I apply AC power and energize the refrigerator circuit breaker to turn it on, which would put the inverter in AC bypass mode, the GFCI will trip in my house where I have my trailer extension cord plugged in. This happens more than half the time when I apply AC power. The other half of the time, it bypasses fine and runs the refrigerator on AC power.
    My portable generator, as well as the onboard generator, run the refrigerator fine on AC power as designed.
    WFCO support was blaming this on my GFCI outlet. However, I moved the extension cord to another circuit in my house, and it would happen again. I asked if it could be an internal problem with the inverter. They said "no", and that there is no danger in using the inverter in this currrent situation.
    thanks for any input.
    RobM
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob

What is the outlet you are plugging into , 50 amp or do you have an adaptor to a small 110v plug?

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    I replaced the original WFCO inverter with a new WFCO one.
    So the replacement is also a WF-5100 series, probably a WF-5110H? http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...00-Manual1.pdf

The only item that caught my attention from the manual is the following (but it sounds like, from your description, you're already doing this?):
    To operate the WF-5100 series Inverter, turn it on by using the ON/OFF switch. The inverter is now ready to deliver AC power to your loads. If you are loading several appliances, turn them on separately after the inverter switch is on, this process is to avoid the power inverter from delivering the starting current all at once to the loads.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plugged into the garage 110V plug with an extension cord. “Assuming” the culprit is the inverter since that is the only change since the GFCI started acting up. It is a 5110R...just 1000W...it is only wired to the fridge circuit.
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plugged into the garage 110V plug with an extension cord. “Assuming” the culprit is the inverter since that is the only change since the GFCI started acting up. It is a 5110R...just 1000W...it is only wired to the fridge circuit.
    The only item I see in the 5110R manual not mentioned in your OP is:

Chassis Ground
    Using a 5/32” hex wrench, loosen the Ground lug screw located on the lower left side of the rear panel. Insert an 8AWG copper wire from this lug to chassis ground. Tighten the lug to 20 in-lbs.

Did you install this wire?

I have nothing else to offer--will leave it to the electricians we have here to suggest other possibilities.

Good luck!

-Howard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Howard..yes, I installed that wire in the same place. Not being electrically savvy, I went with the same product, thinking that even I could put wires in the same place they came from. No cb’s trip anywhere, so maybe there is no problem...just seems odd though to me that something is tripping the GFCI. I am not aware how to test if the internals of the inverter are at fault.
    RobM

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being as you are only plugged into a 110v outlet you may be drawing to many amps , that will cause the GFCI trip. To many things turned on in the camper will cause this.

Brian

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a simple check, flip the main breaker off in the camper and plug it into the gfci. That’ll test the extension cord and shore cord for good measure. If it does not trip, then turn on the breakers one by one until you confirm what causes the issue. Assuming it’s the inverter (fridge) circuit then you have either a bad inverter or a bad gfci outlet.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Being as you are only plugged into a 110v outlet you may be drawing to many amps , that will cause the GFCI trip. To many things turned on in the camper will cause this.

Brian
    A GFCI won't trip on excess current.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not an electrician. I replaced the original WFCO inverter with a new WFCO one. The other internally failed when I broke the remote cord in the basement. It is a hard-wired model designed to run the refrigerator. I hooked up the wires, white to white, black to black, and green to the copper wire. I used push-in connectors from Lowe's, rated to 600 volts. They all passed a "tug" test...all are secure. Is there any way that my wiring job could cause the GFCI to trip in my house? When I run the inverter in battery only mode, it works great. When I apply AC power and energize the refrigerator circuit breaker to turn it on, which would put the inverter in AC bypass mode, the GFCI will trip in my house where I have my trailer extension cord plugged in. This happens more than half the time when I apply AC power. The other half of the time, it bypasses fine and runs the refrigerator on AC power.
    My portable generator, as well as the onboard generator, run the refrigerator fine on AC power as designed.
    WFCO support was blaming this on my GFCI outlet. However, I moved the extension cord to another circuit in my house, and it would happen again. I asked if it could be an internal problem with the inverter. They said "no", and that there is no danger in using the inverter in this currrent situation.
    thanks for any input.
    RobM
    RobM--check out this article for more info on how a GFCI works (and why it normally trips): https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...g-gfci-part-i/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast