User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Filiform Corrosion on Lions Head Wheels

I was in the process of airing my tires up on my 337 after several months in storage and noticed that I had filiform corrosion on all four of my Lions Head aluminum wheels. (See the attached photo.) The unit is less than 10 months old, but it seems the clear coat finish is failing. Has anyone else had this issue and were you successful in getting warranty replacements? If so, did you file a claim directly with Grand Design, Lions Head, or your RV dealer? Thanks for the help.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel Issue.jpg  

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike,

This corrosion is very common on GDRV wheels. The LionsHead wheel finish technology is like the auto industry from 30 years ago. The LionsHead position (as far as I know) is that this is not structural and not something that they cover under their warranty. If you learn something different from contacting them directly . . . many on this forum would like to know this .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting mine replaced by the dealer. I noticed this a couple of weeks after we brought it home. Dealer is replacing now while trailer is there for other warranty work.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are like that. GD would not replace them under warranty.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical for poorly prepped and coated like Rob said. It’s not structural and only cosmetic.

New wheels will have the same corrosion within a year.

Choices are to try to get them warranted following the form here; http://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/med...im-Form_V2.pdf

Or you could look for a wheel refinisher locally. Most any automobile dealer should be able to get you to a good refinisher.

Let us know what you find.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Typical for poorly prepped and coated like Rob said. It’s not structural and only cosmetic.

New wheels will have the same corrosion within a year.

Choices are to try to get them warranted following the form here; http://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/med...im-Form_V2.pdf

Or you could look for a wheel refinisher locally. Most any automobile dealer should be able to get you to a good refinisher.

Let us know what you find.
    Thanks Jerry.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any US sourced wheels available?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Are there any US sourced wheels available?
    There should be. I have had good luck with Discount Tire or Big O. They have extensive sources of rims. Hopefully some are still made in the USA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2020 Reflection 295 RL, 4 months old, the Center hub caps are rusting and the aluminum wheels are corroding. Sounds like this is a common problem and no one will stand behind it. Has anyone had any luck? Dealer says not warrantable and GD is just plain rude about it regardless of the age of the coach.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dangust,

I filled a claim with LionsHead back in 2018 and they did indeed send me new replacement wheels. Unfortunately, those new wheels have now started showing signs of the same corrosion. Supposedly this does not affect the structural integrity of the wheels. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast