User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with Kim (@Chiefblueman) . . . Start with the LT tires and a good WDH . . . and see where you need to go from there.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We already have WDH. I opted in for Equalizer E4 1200/12000lbs rating. Still on passenger tires. Both dealers (RV and Ford) suggested that I stick with standard tires for now and see how its towing. Upgrade it if it becomes an issue. I'm taking their advice with a grain of salt as both of them only focused on payload capacity of the tires and didn't mention anything about tire construction, sidewall being more durable, etc.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    We already have WDH. I opted in for Equalizer E4 1200/12000lbs rating. Still on passenger tires. Both dealers (RV and Ford) suggested that I stick with standard tires for now and see how its towing. Upgrade it if it becomes an issue. I'm taking their advice with a grain of salt as both of them only focused on payload capacity of the tires and didn't mention anything about tire construction, sidewall being more durable, etc.
    My .02......You will want to keep a check on the tire pressure even more if you are staying with the P tires, as others have said the sidewalls on those tires are going to be less stiff and you will notice it even more if your tire pressures aren't correct. I believe Maximum PSI is what you will want to run, but will defer to the others on here for their input.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you have the built-in break controller? An obvious add-on if you don't. I agree with the suggestion that going with the 1200/12000 pound hitch setup. You don't have to go to LT tires. I backed away from the LT tires as I could not find any with anything other than A/T tread in my price range. I don't doubt that LT tires would be better from a towing perspective, but I enjoy the nice quiet ride of my truck when not towing (85% of the time). So I went with a higher load rating than my stock tires. I am towing the bigger version of your trailer with a lighter version of your truck.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    do you have the built-in break controller? An obvious add-on if you don't. I agree with the suggestion that going with the 1200/12000 pound hitch setup. You don't have to go to LT tires. I backed away from the LT tires as I could not find any with anything other than A/T tread in my price range. I don't doubt that LT tires would be better from a towing perspective, but I enjoy the nice quiet ride of my truck when not towing (85% of the time). So I went with a higher load rating than my stock tires. I am towing the bigger version of your trailer with a lighter version of your truck.
    The brake controller will be installed tomorrow.

Does anyone know what HDPP on F150 exactly gets you? I know it's higher gearing, extra leafs, LT tires, and upgraded transmission cooler. Anything else?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    The brake controller will be installed tomorrow.

Does anyone know what HDPP on F150 exactly gets you? I know it's higher gearing, extra leafs, LT tires, and upgraded transmission cooler. Anything else?
    Actually, the pull package on F-150 is not a higher gear ratio, you already have that. You want a low gear ratio. The bigger the # the lower the ratio the more the engine can spin & pull the trailer.
    If this 150 did not come with a brake controller per installed. Its set up for highway driving not trailer pulling. That's just a fact. Also is the truck set up to charge the battery on the trailer? I doubt it. Something you might want to look into. good luck
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Actually, the pull package on F-150 is not a higher gear ratio, you already have that. You want a low gear ratio. The bigger the # the lower the ratio the more the engine can spin & pull the trailer.
    If this 150 did not come with a brake controller per installed. Its set up for highway driving not trailer pulling. That's just a fact. Also is the truck set up to charge the battery on the trailer? I doubt it. Something you might want to look into. good luck
    There is a 7 pin connector for the trailer, so I would think that it will charge the battery on the trailer. I'll ask the Ford dealer tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Olin View Post
    Also is the truck set up to charge the battery on the trailer? I doubt it. Something you might want to look into. good luck
    Russ's post reminded me of something. Even with a factory towing package (brake controller, etc.) there's also a relay on F150s that apparently doesn't always get plugged in by the factory or dealer. This relay allows the truck to charge the trailer battery. The truck will still control the trailer brakes and lights without the relay plugged in; it just won't charge the battery. It would be a good idea to check whether this relay is plugged in before you start towing with your F150.

The axle gear ratio is probably less important these days now that automatic transmissions have more gears to choose from for keeping an engine in it's optimal RPM range. F150s went to the 6-speed transmission in 2011 and I think they're up to 10-speeds now. Big difference from the old 3- and 4-speed automatic transmissions.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    Russ's post reminded me of something. Even with a factory towing package (brake controller, etc.) there's also a relay on F150s that apparently doesn't always get plugged in by the factory or dealer. This relay allows the truck to charge the trailer battery. The truck will still control the trailer brakes and lights without the relay plugged in; it just won't charge the battery. It would be a good idea to check whether this relay is plugged in before you start towing with your F150.

The axle gear ratio is probably less important these days now that automatic transmissions have more gears to choose from for keeping an engine in it's optimal RPM range. F150s went to the 6-speed transmission in 2011 and I think they're up to 10-speeds now. Big difference from the old 3- and 4-speed automatic transmissions.
    The F150 apparently no longer uses relays. That went away in 2015 model years (saw it on another forum), but I'll double check with the dealer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 5.0 and 3.31 she'll scream a little bit to get moving, but should pull just fine. I can't remember if the 16 has the 10 speed, but 1st gear on that is stupid low compared to the 6 speed it replaced. I wouldn't go throwing money at improvements until you see how it does. A 2400BH should be fine behind your truck. Just take the time to scale it and make sure. I bought LT tires when it was time to replace mine, which was before buying a travel trailer, but it towed a 4000lb boat MUCH better with them that on the previous P rated tires.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast