User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Regarding the LT tires. I have a friend who purchased a travel trailer to pull behind his F150 that was equipped with P-metric passenger tires. He was getting lots of sway and the first thing he tried was going to a Blue-Ox hitch. However, he was still a little uncomfortable with the set up and asked for my advice. I used my Sherline scale to verify he had enough tongue weight. He was running about 13%. Then I suggested switching to the LT tires which he did right away. That solved it. He just finished towing on a 3,000 mile round trip, and had zero sway. It made a huge difference for him.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Regarding the LT tires. I have a friend who purchased a travel trailer to pull behind his F150 that was equipped with P-metric passenger tires. He was getting lots of sway and the first thing he tried was going to a Blue-Ox hitch. However, he was still a little uncomfortable with the set up and asked for my advice. I used my Sherline scale to verify he had enough tongue weight. He was running about 13%. Then I suggested switching to the LT tires which he did right away. That solved it. He just finished towing on a 3,000 mile round trip, and had zero sway. It made a huge difference for him.

Jim
    Not sure how LT tires on a truck can improve trailer sway. I can understand better tires on the trailer improving sway issues. Wouldn't the crosswinds impacting travel trailer the same way whether or not you have LT tires on the truck?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    Not sure how LT tires on a truck can improve trailer sway. I can understand better tires on the trailer improving sway issues. Wouldn't the crosswinds impacting travel trailer the same way whether or not you have LT tires on the truck?
    Part of sway is the truck response to the sideways push of the trailer on the hitch. The passenger tires have more flexible sidewalls. The tread stays planted, the rim moves sideways in response to the trailer sideways push and then "bounces" back. The stiffer LT sidewalls and significantly higher inflation pressure don't do this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 1/2 ton van we used for towing some time ago. We went to the LT tires and it made a huge difference in the towing.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have received information from the dealer regarding fuse/relay thing on F150 2015+ model years. If your vehicle is equipped with any towing package you don't have to insert fuses/relays in order to supply power to the trailer battery. It will trickle charge the battery on the trailer straight from the factory. I guess it never hurts to check the fuse panel and make sure it's actually there.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time post, but I've enjoyed the information gained so far. So we've pop up camped for years but we're ready to move into TT camping and the towing aspect of this is stressing me out a bit. Let me start by saying we haven't bought anything yet, but we like the imagine 2400BH. Now enter the stress. I have a 2017 F150 4x4 super crew 145 in WB, 3.31 axle, 5.0 l v8 as a daily driver. It was a fleet vehicle and came with no tow package. Payload 2093, tow rating 8900 properly equipped, but again it came with nothing. Over the years I added the class IV hitch receiver, upgraded front stabilizer bar, auxiliary transmission cooler, itbc, 4/7 pin connector. I'm not sure what the smart trailer tow connector is that's listed on the ford site but otherwise feel like I've covered most of a towing package. However have I just added lipstick to a pig? I don't want to trade the truck, but can I safely tow this camper?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    First time post, but I've enjoyed the information gained so far. So we've pop up camped for years but we're ready to move into TT camping and the towing aspect of this is stressing me out a bit. Let me start by saying we haven't bought anything yet, but we like the imagine 2400BH. Now enter the stress. I have a 2017 F150 4x4 super crew 145 in WB, 3.31 axle, 5.0 l v8 as a daily driver. It was a fleet vehicle and came with no tow package. Payload 2093, tow rating 8900 properly equipped, but again it came with nothing. Over the years I added the class IV hitch receiver, upgraded front stabilizer bar, auxiliary transmission cooler, itbc, 4/7 pin connector. I'm not sure what the smart trailer tow connector is that's listed on the ford site but otherwise feel like I've covered most of a towing package. However have I just added lipstick to a pig? I don't want to trade the truck, but can I safely tow this camper?
    That's a very similar setup we have and we did ok. Same engine, same platform. Looks like you have greater payload, ours is almost 1900lbs. You need a brake controller and WD hitch (we use equalizer brand). Do you have tow haul mode on your transmission?

Do you have a pro backup assist on yours? We do, but I didn't find it all that useful.

Smart Connector alerts the driver if there are issues, with brakes, eletrical, battery on the trailer. Doesn't really do whole lot. If you walk around the trailer and check these things before the trip you should be fine.

When it comes to backing up, the biggest help was in the form of the backup camera installed on the trailer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Page 4 shows that you can't have more than 36.6 sq/ft for TT frontal area without the tow package.
    Also on page 4 it says a max of 5000 lbs without the tow package. Also looks like the Tow Package includes an aux Trans Cooler. Not positive on the last one though. Might give a call to the local Ford dealer and give them your VIN to see whats actually on your truck.
    https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...50_r3_Nov8.pdf

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Ford install their brake controller so we're good on that. I don't have the hitch yet, but am trying to decide on that, the equalizer looks good as I don't want to lose the 250lbs or $2k with the propride hitch unless necessary.

I do have tow haul mode and can lock out gears as necessary. Does not have back up assist, but I would never use it.

@luke79, did you end up upgrading the tires? Currently we have the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT.
    Last edited by madhatter; 02-19-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Page 4 shows that you can't have more than 36.6 sq/ft for TT frontal area without the tow package.
    Also on page 4 it says a max of 5000 lbs without the tow package. Also looks like the Tow Package includes an aux Trans Cooler. Not positive on the last one though. Might give a call to the local Ford dealer and give them your VIN to see whats actually on your truck.
    https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...50_r3_Nov8.pdf
    I know what's on the truck as I put it on there because it came with nothing. It now has Aux transmission cooler, upgraded stabilizer bar, brake controller, 4/7 pin connector, and class 4 receiver, basically everything from the trailer tow package except the smart tow hookup which doesn't sound like much.

But does adding this stuff actually make it ok, or is there something I'm missing with the frame, or leaf springs etc. that comes with an actual dealer tow package not listed in the 53A 53B 53C tow package details?
    Last edited by madhatter; 02-19-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast