Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV / Travel Trailer Insurance - Good Sam

Hi all,

Picking up my TT (Imagine 2150RB) on the 18th of February and I called my insurance company to get it added. I have USAA for most insurance and banking but they outsource / underwrite their RV and TT insurance to Progressive.

Progressive wanted $516 annually for $1,000 deductible.

I went to the Good Sam website to compare - $335 annual with $500 deductible AND diminishing deductible option.

Anyone have any thoughts on Good Sam Insurance specifically? Any other recommendations for TT insurance? If its not going to wrapped into my USAA coverage I have on my home/auto I am open to getting it from anyone as long as they are a good company that actually pays claims.

----

Also - while we are Talking about Good Sam.... is the "Membership" worth it????
    Last edited by Deptacon; 02-08-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a full timer our RV liability insurance could not be covered by our non-existent home owners insurance. If it is unhitched from the truck the truck liability insurance did not cover us. So we had to be careful about that.

I had Good Sam underwritten by GMAC for a year. But I could never talk with anyone about the liability angle. Really, only recorded messages on the phone and no call backs, no responses to emails. So when Progressive came out with their full timers option I changed over to them.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So turns out USAA does cover TT's.... Adding the brand new TT to my current auto policies only cost $150 a year. I feel like I'm stealing from them.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a full timer and had the same problem. I had insurance with SAFECO and found out the same thing, I have gone with ARRP, and FOREMOST insurance. I now have full insurance like I use to when I had a house. If someone falls at my property in Montana when I am down here in the south I am covered, everything in the trailer at all times is covered, replacement cost, and the trailer. And I am paying about a $1000 per year. Had a tire blow a year ago and they were right on top of it the next day. Good insurance Co.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deptacon View Post
    So turns out USAA does cover TT's.... Adding the brand new TT to my current auto policies only cost $150 a year. I feel like I'm stealing from them.
    Nice job Deptacon,

I was just going to suggest adding this onto you home owners policy. I use Auto Owners who I have good experience in them paying after a hail storm several years ago. $180.00 for full coverage so you did a little better than I.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been shopping insurance the last few days and I've been a little dissatisfied with insurance for my RV. I pay $636 a year. I got 3 new quotes. All quotes were for bundling all my stuff. I got quotes for $620/yr, $492/yr and one for $361/yr. I asked multiple agents about adding it to either home or auto policy and they advised against it. Said that if you have damage to your camper then it opens the insurance company up to jacking up your auto or home rate. I'm not sure if that's true but it made me stop to think about it. I backed my truck into my fifthwheel hitch last year. Asked agent what to do. Only damage was the tailgate. Nothing to the fifthwheel. Agent said the dollar amount would be small enough it wouldn't affect rates. I took their word. Now I have an at-fault claim and my auto rate jumped up $1,500. Sad that you pay for something you don't even want to use!
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's something wrong with the insurance industry. I also have all of my banking and insurance with USAA, but was referred to Progressive by USAA. Checked again today and the USAA site still sent me to Progressive. I wonder if USAA restricts which states they write RV insurance. Also, I just renewed with Progressive with the new 2600RB we picked up yesterday. Small rate increase, but still paying less than I did with GS two years ago. First year with GS was a good rate, but substantial increase the second, so took our business to Flo.
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB
    Maxxis M8008 ST Radial 225/75R-15 E 10-ply tires
    MoRryde CRE2-35 CRE3000 w/ wet bolt kit & X-Factor cross-member
    Furrion Observation camera with 5-inch monitor
    Equalizer WDH 1,000/10,000

2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 Extended Cab
    Michelin Defender LTX E-rated tires
    RoadMaster Active Suspension (in lieu of TRD sway bar and airbags)
    BakFLip MX4 hard-folding tonneau cover
    Putco Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar
    Westin stainless R7 running boards

Southern Arizona - We're close to Tombstone and can see Mexico (Mt. San Jose) from our backyard.
    US Army, Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge33Army View Post
    There's something wrong with the insurance industry. I also have all of my banking and insurance with USAA, but was referred to Progressive by USAA. Checked again today and the USAA site still sent me to Progressive. I wonder if USAA restricts which states they write RV insurance. Also, I just renewed with Progressive with the new 2600RB we picked up yesterday. Small rate increase, but still paying less than I did with GS two years ago. First year with GS was a good rate, but substantial increase the second, so took our business to Flo.
    Times 2 for USAA, but I called..... they refer to progressive when you have “An RV”......I know it’s hard for us to refer to our stuff as “a trailer” or “a travel trailer”, but that’s where the disconnect is. USAA DOES IN FACT INSURE travel trailers.... and they insure ours. In my experience, USAA phone reps are TERRIBLE at understanding this, and I’ve been bounced over to progressive as well. It all cleared up when I explained that it’s a trailer, NOT a recreation vehicle. Also to save you time, going thru the motions on a particular trailer so it’s “In the system, when you call back to add it”, is a complete and utter waste of time. They force you to repeat the entire process, no matter how much you say you’ve already done it. Hahaha good luck to the OP, and USAA is excellent at everything else I’ve ever used them for! Pull Safe!

Jim
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Solitude is on my USAA auto policy along with the truck and my other car. They added it no problem, same coverage and deductibles as the truck. They are reasonably enough priced that I'll leave it with them, been a member 39 years. Dang I'm getting old lol
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way USAA explained it to me was they will insure a travel trailer or 5th wheel as long as the tow vehicle is also insured with them. Otherwise they refer you to Progressive. My vehicles, boat, quads, and homeowners is insured with State Farm. I asked USAA for a quote for all my stuff and they were substantially higher than what I'm paying now. I don't know if it is my location or what. We went with Progressive, but we went to an independent agent instead of Flo and actually got a better rate.

John

Just to clarify, State Farm would have insured the 5th wheel actually much cheaper, but they don't offer any kind of liability when unhooked and they only cover the coach for market value as opposed to full replacement. With Progressive, it's insured for $95k for as long as I maintain that coverage option.
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 02-08-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast