User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disc brake maintenance costs?

A friend was just advised by two rv repair facilities (JRs in Yuma and Eric’s in Wa) NOT to upgrade to disc brakes when he was having a brake overhaul done on his 6 yr old fiver. They both said the annual maintenance costs would be excessive. This is first negative I’ve heard regarding the disc conversion. And I’m surprised by it. I can’t find anything on line to confirm this assessment.
    What say you folks that have had disc brakes on your trailers for some time?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That's about the stupidest comments I've ever heard. My annual maintenance costs for the past 4 years has been the cost of a set of pads I just put on a few months ago and they weren't that bad but I replaced them anyway. There is no real annual maintenance. I would want to know what specifically they are they talking about? I would propose there is more maintenance on drum brakes than disc brakes for certain.
    Last edited by Paul & Deb; 02-08-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a year and a half on my disc brake install. I have absolutely no maintenance since install. I just repacked wheel bearings on all six hubs on my Momentum and the rotors and pads still looked brand new. There is no reason for any maintenance at this time.

I have no clue what they are talking about. Changing pads will not cost anymore than doing brakes on the old electric brakes. New rotor/hubs will have a cost in the future, whenever that is needed. The word "annual" maintenance I believe to be a stretch of the truth. The superiority of the disc over electric brakes would still make that cost worth it to me.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed disc brakes on my old trailer, three axles and had them on for three years, and 5,000 miles on and NO maintenance. but on the drums I had to have the brake adjusted every 2,000 to 3,000 mi. As soon as I leave where i am at now we are going to AZ. to have new disc brakes, and 8,000lb spring, and 8,000lb axles all installed. would I do that if ther is more maintenance?
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allensworth View Post
    A friend was just advised by two rv repair facilities (JRs in Yuma and Eric’s in Wa) NOT to upgrade to disc brakes when he was having a brake overhaul done on his 6 yr old fiver. They both said the annual maintenance costs would be excessive. This is first negative I’ve heard regarding the disc conversion. And I’m surprised by it. I can’t find anything on line to confirm this assessment.
    Could it be the repair facilities were giving advice based on the age of the coach? I guess it really depends on how long your friend intends to keep his 5vr to judge the ROI.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allensworth View Post
    They just did not want to loose the business of repairing the old drum brakes.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That shop had it backwards. There's more maintenance when the drum brakes can't do the job and you get T-boned by a bus.

Find a different shop.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    That's about the stupidest comments I've ever heard. My annual maintenance costs for the past 4 years has been the cost of a set of pads I just put on a few months ago and they weren't that bad but I replaced them anyway. There is no real annual maintenance. I would want to know what specifically they are they talking about? I would propose there is more maintenance on drum brakes than disc brakes for certain.
    X2^^ - stupid! We've not even gotten to the cost of a set of pads like Paul has (had the bearings done last spring and pads/rotors looked fine). The actuator has not required one drop of fluid, either.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if they are talking about additional labor to repack the wheel bearings. This will require removal of the calipers. Admittedly not much more time involved , but I'll bet they would bill an extra +/- .5 hour per wheel.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Responses are exactly what I expected. Don’t know where they were coming from. Thanks for feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast