User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multi-Function Tailgates

Haven't seen much for conversation here about the changes that the Big 3 are making with the functionality of their tailgates. What do people think? Will they be useful features or just gimmicks? I know Ford has had their tailgate step out for a while. For those that have them, are you glad you got it and how well has it held up? Can the step still be used if there is a bumper pull trailer attached? The GMC tailgate looks interesting and I could see some benefit to it. Seems like it's only offered on the higher end trims though. It seems like this one might not work if you had a bumper pull trailer attached. Curious about the longevity of the multiple folding joints and the fact they have a USB port in it. The Ram tailgate is interesting as well. It's similar to a Ridgeline but you don't have to open the full tailgate since it's a 60/40 split. I was concerned about capacity when it was in the down position but apparently it can still hold 2,000 lbs. I have a short bed truck now (6'4") but still find it hard to reach into the bed of the truck if the tailgate is down. Having the ability to open it sideways and get 2' closer is nice. I have the Rambox cargo management system in my truck and I do use the cargo extender often when hauling building material. I also use it as a divider to shorten the bed to prevent things from rolling to the front. It seems you have to have cargo management group to also get the split tailgate. Then if you want the extra kickout rear step it's another cost adder. All these things really begin to add up! We'll see maybe I would consider these things in my next vehicle. What's everyone else think? Attached below are some pictures showing the options from the Big 3.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford Tailgate Step.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	17567

Name:	GM Tailgate.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	17568

Name:	Ram Tailgate.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	17569
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased a 2018 F-250 and find it useful and sturdy. With the height of the truck it would be difficult to get in the bed of the truck without it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they didn't make the trucks so gawdawful tall, we wouldn't need steps and we wouldn't have to change TV and RV suspensions to get the rig level.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My current and previous truck are Ford and have the tailgate step with pole. With the pole on the tailgate, the tailgate doesnt get sprayed when you get a spray-in bedliner, they leave the plastic there. I personally dont use the step at all, but my kids enjoy using it to get in the back of the truck. I imagine if I had mobility limitations the step would be extremely helpful for getting into the bed.

I like the idea of the split tailgate, it could be great if you have a cap on your bed. It reminds me of the barn doors on older SUVs and could provide to be somewhat useful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ford step is nice because it is two separate parts. When using my bumper pull trailer the step part would hit the trailer tongue so I just step up on the tongue and can still use the handle part on the tailgate for support.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I like the Ram one the best for normal daily life. It gets you a couple feet closer to the bed for loading/unloading.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    Q: Ford has had their tailgate step out for a while. For those that have them, are you glad you got it and how well has it held up?
    A: YES and fantastic!

Q: Can the step still be used if there is a bumper pull trailer attached?
    A: No. When I open my tailgate (step still stowed) the edge of the tailgate comes within a whisper of the 315's powered tongue jack.

Q: What's everyone else think?
    A: Wouldn't get another one without it (or something comparable).
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the vertical post that makes the Ford system really useful for getting in and out of the truck box. The other systems look much more complex and probably much heavier.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a slide in camper so I remove the tailgate 2-3 times year. I wonder how heavy/hard these are to remove/install? I find it a real chore in my later years to lift a 5 gallon gas can or a battery over the tall side of the truck.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    I have a slide in camper so I remove the tailgate 2-3 times year. I wonder how heavy/hard these are to remove/install? I find it a real chore in my later years to lift a 5 gallon gas can or a battery over the tall side of the truck.

Regards,
    Kevin
    I had to have Fran's help to get the tailgate off. There's two different angles when it is possible to release it. Also, if there's a camera, you have to crawl underneath to disconnect the electrical connections and install dummy plugs.

Probably the #1 reason I went from the standard bed on my prior F-250 to the 8' bed in my DRW. With the latter I don't have to remove the tailgate with the 'Wing in the bed, though I still can't quite get the tailgate closed all the way.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast