User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    Thanks. also wondering about running the a/c. Was that answered in his response to you? If his setup won't run the a/c, what would it take?
    @DMB--can you answer BigSwick's question regarding a/c? I'm curious, too.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    Thanks. also wondering about running the a/c. Was that answered in his response to you? If his setup won't run the a/c, what would it take?
    See post #9 in this thread for measurements Dopperud performed: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post215397
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am installin g a very similar solar set up, very shortly.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    @DMB--can you answer BigSwick's question regarding a/c? I'm curious, too.
    So I am guessing that the lack of reply means that no, you cannot run your a/c for any length of time. Hopefully the panel and battery technology
    will advance in the near future so the a/c can be run for extended times.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best I've seen so far in 5th wheels is a hybrid solar/battery/generator system. It seems that with the hybrid type inverters, you can specify a load to take from a generator and make the deficit up with the batteries. You should get a fair amount of help from the solar during a good day as well but no where enough to run an a/c.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that a general rule of thumb is 200Ah of Lithium batteries to run a standard A/C for 1 hour. Hence, you need a lot of Lithium batteries to run the A/C for any amount of time. You likely would also want to install a soft start on the A/C and just run the smaller 2nd A/C if you have it. I have also heard of others using window units which draw much less power.
    Last edited by Nomado; 02-17-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    Damon and Colleen
    2019 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 FX4 Platinum
    5th Wheel Prep Puck System
    B&W Companion Non-Slider
    BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post
    My understanding is that a general rule of thumb is 200Ah of Lithium batteries to run a standard A/C for 1 hour. Hence, you need a lot of Lithium batteries to run the A/C for any amount of time. You likely would also want to install a soft start on the A/C and just run the smaller 2nd A/C if you have it. I have also heard of others using window units which draw much less power.
    Sounds about right. I ran my 15k btu AC (with softstart) and it showed an increased DC amp load of about 105 amps. Running the same AC unit on shore power increases the load shown on the EMS by 11 AC amps.

OTOH, my little 15 amp generator will run this same AC unit, but especially if it is hot, the generator will sometimes have trouble starting the AC. Once the AC is running, the generator has no problem keeping it running. The hybrid inverter might give it enough extra oomph to get the AC running and the little generator shouldn't have any problem keeping it running. The alternative would be two little generators in parallel or one larger gennie.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

337 Solar Project completed

I can run the roof air for several hours on a sunny day since I’m bringing in about 75a with the solar.
    But I’ve met plenty of people with much larger lithium battery banks than mine that can run their air constantly, day and night.
    It’s not any more complicated, just more expensive.
    Our setup is sized as it is because we have a small trailer. We could only fit 1155 watts of solar on our roof, because our Reflection is not even 27’ long. If we had a 40’ Momentum we would easily have fit 2,000 watts up there and would have more batteries.

I’ve seen ample data that proves I could run a 5,000 btu window unit all day long.
    I’ve also thought about constructing a window insert to allow use of such a unit when we’re boon docking in the Summer.
    It would be simple enough to install and remove and they run on a standard wall socket. Normally, we follow the weather and rarely ever need air conditioning, so it hasn’t been necessary. I’ll probably tackle it in the coming months though as I have run out of mods to do on the trailer.
    Plus it’ll give me an excuse to throw a few more Battle Borns in the front compartment! If I build a rack, I should be able to fit 800ah in there. I’ve also been thinking of replacing all 7 of our 165w panels with 200w panels that are the same footprint to bump our total to 1,400 watts which should yield about 90a in full sun.
    These simple additions would allow us to run the roof air all day long, but I’d rather have a window unit to be honest as they are far more efficient and way way quieter!
    The half dozen times we’ve actually used the roof air it was so noisy you can’t even hear the TV. Another reason we decided to just spend the Summer on the West coast or in Canada.

[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-17-2019 at 11:09 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave, thanks for the reply. A portable A/C would probably work if you didn't mind losing the floor space. But how would you install a window unit without
    looking like the Beverly Hillbilly's? A mini split system would work, maybe one like http://minihvac.com/ Plus, it's a heat pump! Inquiring minds want to know!
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work, best of luck with it, I am sure it will serve you well.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast