Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

337 Solar Project completed

Sorry, this may be a long read.

I'll start with an explanation of why I designed what I did and why I chose particular components. I will give you a cost breakdown and if in hindsight I would do anything differently. As a disclaimer, I did all the work except for the panel installation because, I do not really like heights and the crowned roof certainly seemed to want me to fall off when I installed the soft start on my A/C.

I wanted a system to be as easy to use as possible so I picked an inverter charger that was large enough to run the entire coach with no reasonable restrictions. I wanted to have enough battery to last me under those conditions at least two days with no or minimal charging from either solar or generator. With the regard to solar, I wanted enough wattage so that if I received 4 hours of full sun or a day of defused light I would be able to top off the batteries. With all that in mind, I ran the power through a power distribution block to split off to the inverter/charger and to an automatic transfer switch that will go straight to the main panel or from the inverter if no external power is present. Again for ease of use, I created a plate that puts all the controls and gauges in the same location where the existing coach controls were located.

I chose the Spartan 3300 watt inverted charger primarily on a price/performance basis. It was the only unit I could find that would go to 3X it's rated capacity for hard starts and was a moderate cost. I also picked up three Battle Born batteries, plenty of reasons already on the board for and against to debate further here. For a solar controller I chose a MPPT Midnight Classic 150 96A, again based on price/performance. I used 7 Zamp 170 W panels, mounted in parallel. This configuration was one of my biggest quandaries. Mounting in series would have allowed me to save some on wire and may have been more efficient under ideal conditions. I felt that I would be better served by planning for less than ideal conditions as panels would rarely be getting balanced sun to take advantage of the series alignment.

Costs:

7 Zamp 170W panels @ $319 $2239
    7 Zamp rocker roof mounts @$80 $560
    3 Battle Born 100A Batts @ $925 $2775
    Spartan 3300W inverter/charger $849
    Midnight Classic MPPT controller $575
    Go Power 50A transfer switch $209

These are the major components. I will not itemize all of the misc. items such as wire (adds up quick), connectors etc. I will say that I made my own wires, it saved a bunch and was much neater than generic sizes.

Everything else $3400

Total $9758

I paid a local installer (costs not listed above) to put the panels up and also install a we boost while he was up there. He did a very professional job and if you are in the SF Bay area I will be happy to pass his name on to you.

How has it performed? on the power side, absolutely no problems, when on the inverter, I am essentially on 30 Amp service. I have pushed the battery bank by running the heater, TV w/Mac computer for movies, satellite, microwave, etc. One night I ran the batteries down to 30%, but it took some effort. I am anxious to actually get some sun to test the solar. I have taken the rig on a couple of trips and they have been rainy and cloudy and of course the sun is very low so I am only getting rates of 20-30 AMPs. I anticipate 80 when we get later in the year, I'll let you know.

Would I change anything...maybe add another battery, but nothing else as of yet. I am a bit unconventional as I like to piece things together based on the price/performance of the individual components, will I regret this in the future, time will tell. I have seen what others have done with putting everything behind the wall in the basement; If I were to start over, that method would get a lot of consideration.

A couple of last notes; I kept the original converter in place, all I need to do is turn the breaker on as I like the redundancy. I hardwired a Progressive PMU and put the display by the Nautilus panel so I can see it easily when I hook up to shore power.

Below is a diagram and photos of the project, it was fun to and I got so many ideas from others on this board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	337 wireing.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	17587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3200.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	17588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Controls.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	17591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof With panels.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	17590
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inverter Project sw-dist.jpg  
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very nice!

You have pretty much the same setup I have. Install looks really clean.

Looking forward to future updates!
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopperud View Post
    I'll start with an explanation of why I designed what I did and why I chose particular components.
    First--thank you for the detailed write-up! So many questions...

1) Any idea how much weight was added to your trailer?

2) It looks like there's a Victron battery monitor on the control panel? Was that part of this project or was it pre-existing? (I don't see it in the parts list.)

3) Some individuals added a sub-panel to limit what is powered by the inverter. It looks like you power the entire rig with the inverter. Was this intentional? I'm still not completely clear on why a sub-panel vs no sub-panel.

4) Is it possible to run an air conditioner with your setup or is supplemental power required? I don't want to even consider trying to sleep on a hot summer night without ac.

5) Did you buy any tools for the wire crimping? If "yes", what did you get? There's a myriad of choices out there.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice job.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I love it. That makes boondocking a LOT more palatable. I wonder what would another battery and panel have gotten you? Is it possible to get closer to the 50 Amp service, or for solar is 30 Amp the only realistic option?
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    First--thank you for the detailed write-up! So many questions...

1) Any idea how much weight was added to your trailer? The panels are 25# each, inverter is 55#, Batteries 30# each, other components about 100# so approx. 420# total

2) It looks like there's a Victron battery monitor on the control panel? Was that part of this project or was it pre-existing? (I don't see it in the parts list.) I put that in, I did not include it because I wanted the price to only include essentials.

3) Some individuals added a sub-panel to limit what is powered by the inverter. It looks like you power the entire rig with the inverter. Was this intentional? I'm still not completely clear on why a sub-panel vs no sub-panel. I powered the whole panel, I saw no benefit to a sub panel if you have an inverter large enough to power everything.

4) Is it possible to run an air conditioner with your setup or is supplemental power required? I don't want to even consider trying to sleep on a hot summer night without ac. I installed a soft start on the A/C which allows me to run the A/C easily on the inverter or a Honda 2200 watt gen. While the A/C will run on this system, you will drain you batteries very quickly.

5) Did you buy any tools for the wire crimping? If "yes", what did you get? There's a myriad of choices out there.
    Yes, I got a crimper and i ratcheting wire cutter 4o cable is a tough cut. They were not much and more than paid for themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8FREDT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

337 Solar Project completed

Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    Wow! I love it. That makes boondocking a LOT more palatable. I wonder what would another battery and panel have gotten you? Is it possible to get closer to the 50 Amp service, or for solar is 30 Amp the only realistic option?
    Since you mentioned it... My Reflection is actually 60 amp.

This is due to the fact that our entire rig is wired through the inverter and it’s output is 60 amp.

OP may have a similar setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-11-2019 at 12:09 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also curious as to how much weight was added to your rig.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    I am also curious as to how much weight was added to your rig.
    He put the numbers in the response area of his reply to me: The panels are 25# each, inverter is 55#, Batteries 30# each, other components about 100# so approx. 420# total
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    He put the numbers in the response area of his reply to me: The panels are 25# each, inverter is 55#, Batteries 30# each, other components about 100# so approx. 420# total
    Thanks. also wondering about running the a/c. Was that answered in his response to you? If his setup won't run the a/c, what would it take?
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast