User Tag List

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I bet @Gene will come with a source! He's a wizard for stuff like this.

I like where you put the monitor. I'm going to steal this and duplicate it.

Really nice job on the install. It looks great.

Attachment 17811
    Thanks. The location was mostly dictated by the ease of fishing the wires for the remotes up from the basement. The fish wouldn't go down, but up worked the first try.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    @SouthTX
    Did you do a thread or write up on this system?
    This would be something like I would want to do. I like the simplicity and it would make my little bit of boondocking easier plus the ability to grow the system if needed some day.
    Thanks

Brian
    No, I didn't. I'm the world's worst for just piggybacking on someone else's thread. But to tell the truth, this started out as a simple inverter installation and I followed the really excellent drawings and photos that a former member posted on his personal web pages. Fortunately, Howard had downloaded the schematics and photos, some of which are posted above in this thread. Perhaps you could twist his arm to post them all. If he doesn't have them, I'll be glad to scan the hard copies I made. He did solar, too, and I just used the portions of his design that I needed.

In full disclosure, after I got the inverter installed I loaded up the system to test it and like a dumb*** I missed tightening a terminal and melted a terminal off my T105 battery. At that point, I put a sharp pencil to it and lithium was the way to go. We don't dry camp much, but even without consideration of the convenience and advantages of the lithium battery, they were a no brainer.

I had been a little overwhelmed by some of the elaborate (and expensive) systems some members have built and I just didn't need that kind of capability. Just through dumb luck rather than design, I think this has turned out to be a nice, simple installation that takes full advantage of the lithium battery and is easily expandable. I'm interested now in seeing how just 100 amps of lithium compares with my prior two T105's.
    John and Jean

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Electrical Mod -- Feedback Requested

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    ...interested now in seeing how just 100 amps of lithium compares with my prior two T105's.
    I think the most notable difference is the fact that you will spend much less time checking the battery SoC.
    What I mean is even if you had 1000 ah of FLA you’d still need to constantly monitor the DoD, not so much with the lithium.
    Plus the lithium will charge from XX% to 100% in a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-20-2019 at 04:08 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may have high jacked Howards thread. Please lets get back to the original topic.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Electrical Mod -- Feedback Requested

I think I may have high jacked Howards thread. Please lets get back to the original topic.

Brian
    You forgot your sign...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard
    I hate to use the name but, Lppert makes an under chassis mounted sliding storage that mounts to the frame and has 2 boxes that slide out each side. This may be something to look at for an idea for mounting the batteries under your trailer. https://www.carid.com/lippert-compon...301721704.html
    Here is a link to one from carid

Brian
    Interesting option--thanks, Brian! I continually amazed at how much is out there that I still haven't discovered.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Version 12 and Proposed Installation

Here's v12 of my tentative system diagram. New items are highlighted with orange arrows. The attached PDF spells out the proposed installation location and other notes on the diagram.

FYI, Garret Towne at AMSolar has been easy to work with (via email).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMSolar Modified v12.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	17884

Name:	Installation Options Full Size.pdf 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	17885

Note: I am not getting any compensation or any consideration in any way, shape, or form for mentioning AMSolar!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up and great use of space! You have really taken the time to think everything out which will make the install much easier!

I like the Lynx Distributor idea. It sounds like this will also balance the batteries so that you do not need to worry about the battery cables being different lengths. Is this true?

Also, I was going to post a link to the CCGX video you have in your write up. I just watched that this morning and is a great video. I also spoke to Garret about the CCGX and the Digital Monitor (DM) as well to confirm my decision. The DM is just very simple and you can change the shore power input quickly with the turn of the knob. This can also be done on the CCGX but you have to go through some menus. However, you also have all the other added features with everything interacting which I really like and am also going to stick with the CCGX.
    Damon and Colleen
    2019 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 FX4 Platinum
    5th Wheel Prep Puck System
    B&W Companion Non-Slider
    BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post
    I like the Lynx Distributor idea. It sounds like this will also balance the batteries so that you do not need to worry about the battery cables being different lengths. Is this true?
    I'm not sure. Initially the plan is to have all the cables the same length. Haven't quite gotten to that level of detail with Garret (yet).

Below is what I'm up to today--so far I've made four "Battle Born batteries". After lunch I'll mock up the rest of the components, and then (with Fran's help) get accurate measurements of the area under the trailer. Once I have that data, I"m going to "install" the mock ups to see how it will all go together. I'm tentatively thinking of copying @Rob's "bomber door" (if you read that plumbing thread) idea for access. At least on one side. I'll post pics once I get to it.

Name:	DSCN0207 (Small).JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	17899

Two issues have me concerned with the potential install location: heat buildup (do I need ventilation?) and moisture build-up (do I need a drain?). Probably more questions for Garret, but if any of the gurus here have an opinion I'd like to hear it!

-Howard

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, the new lightweight lithium wood ion batteries.

FWIW, I've sucked my battery way down then watched it recharge at 65 amps and there is absolutely no heat coming off of it. Doesn't seem right.
    John and Jean

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast