User Tag List

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm giving up on the Lynx Distributor. No matter where I put it on the wall in the pass-thru storage I end up with a very awkward installation. As they like to say at work, "the juice isn't worth the squeeze". I'm going to go with Method 4 as documented in the article you posted (pending Garret's approval at AMSolar so there's no warranty issues).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Method 4.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	18430

Here's what I plan (I think finally!) for the config in the front storage area:

Name:	Final Config.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	18429

It's simple. Easy to wire. Also easy to reconfigure if one battery goes bad for some reason (to your original point, Rob, in an earlier post). (The four position, the one closest to the Nautilus panel, will be emptied while awaiting a replacement battery with the requisite wires temp removed. Should be simple enough to do.)

Should have plenty of room for an MPPT controller should I go solar in the future, too.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I'm giving up on the Lynx Distributor. No matter where I put it on the wall in the pass-thru storage I end up with a very awkward installation. As they like to say at work, "the juice isn't worth the squeeze". I'm going to go with Method 4 as documented in the article you posted (pending Garret's approval at AMSolar so there's no warranty issues).

Name:	Method 4.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	18430

Here's what I plan (I think finally!) for the config in the front storage area:

Name:	Final Config.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	18429

It's simple. Easy to wire. Also easy to reconfigure if one battery goes bad for some reason (to your original point, Rob, in an earlier post). (The four position, the one closest to the Nautilus panel, will be emptied while awaiting a replacement battery with the requisite wires temp removed. Should be simple enough to do.)

Should have plenty of room for an MPPT controller should I go solar in the future, too.
    Howard - I had spoken with both Garret and Battleborn on this article I posted above and they both said I was fine to go with method 2 in the link. This is also what I see most people do when hooking up their lithium batteries in parallel. The method you show will be more balanced (which was my concern) but they said it is not as critical with Lithium and the BMS system in the battery. They said this is a bigger issue with flooded batteries.

Method 2 was just simpler in my installation and I was all about trying to keep it simple the further I got into the project. Whichever method you go with I would try to keep the cable lengths the same (or consistent).... i.e. the above method have the longer and short cables the same length.
    Damon and Colleen
    2019 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 FX4 Platinum
    5th Wheel Prep Puck System
    B&W Companion Non-Slider
    BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how the wiring would look with 6 batteries with method 4 ? That is what we will have when mine gets done, have the four now and want two more when done.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    I wonder how the wiring would look with 6 batteries with method 4 ? That is what we will have when mine gets done, have the four now and want two more when done.
    Hopefully one of our electrical engineers will chime in--I don't dare hazard a guess.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    I am by no means an expert but I believe you want to have them connected by most positive to most negative for each battery grouping. Do this for them grouped as two batteries (shortest cables). Then do this for them grouped as three pairs (longer cables). Then have your load center connected to the most positive and negative of all six batteries connected. I believe it would look like this picture I drew quickly.

Once again...I am no expert so I would confirm this with a professional before actually doing it.

Name:	IMG_0752.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	18448

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nomado; 03-18-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    Damon and Colleen
    B&W Companion Non-Slider

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post
    Howard - I had spoken with both Garret and Battleborn on this article I posted above and they both said I was fine to go with method 2 in the link. This is also what I see most people do when hooking up their lithium batteries in parallel. The method you show will be more balanced (which was my concern) but they said it is not as critical with Lithium and the BMS system in the battery. They said this is a bigger issue with flooded batteries.

Method 2 was just simpler in my installation and I was all about trying to keep it simple the further I got into the project. Whichever method you go with I would try to keep the cable lengths the same (or consistent).... i.e. the above method have the longer and short cables the same length.
    Garret responded and wants me to connect the batteries as shown below. He said our equipment and setup are different but said the differences are so minor they'd never be noticed in real-world usage.

Name:	Garret Drawing sm.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	18450

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day 1: Install Begins!

After a three week hiatus due to a camping trip (yes, I do camp in this thing!) I'm starting my installation.

Day 1: Uninstalled battery, shut-off switch (and associated wiring) and removed existing panels in pass-thru. I also figured out how much 6/3 wire I'll need and where it will be ran between the inverter (which will be in the pass-through) and the hutch.

I'm taking my time, so this will be a multi-day project.

Note the shut-off wiring is still shown in the picture but it is now removed as the shutoffs will be on the back wall. If you look closely at the front area you can see the bottom of the dog kennel base projecting into the cap area. (Separate thread!)

Name:	IMG_0789 (Large).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	19194

Name:	IMG_0790 (Large).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	19195

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day 2 of Install

Using scrap wood I played with where I was going to install the components. After all the planning I had never considered installing the shutoff switches on a board facing the opening. Helps to play with the items in 3D.

I'd initially planned on drilling holes in the pass-thru floor for the 6/3 wire, but when it came time I chickened out. I used the existing hole near the Nautilus Panel. Makes the wire run about 6' longer, but I didn't make a change that I can't undo.

Tomorrow it will be install insulation (different thread) in the pass-thru and (hopefully) getting the final wood pieces cut out and installed. I also need to run one more 6/3 wire from the inverter to the ATS. (Yes, there are two separate wires.)

Note that the fuse is just sitting there in the pass-thru--that's not the actual install location.

Name:	IMG_0823 (Large).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	19237

Here's what the inside looks like after running one length of 6/3 and the two data cables (one for the BMV-712 and the other for the CCGX). Moving the thermostat is going to be done when I get working in this area (after the front storage area is completed).

Name:	IMG_0826 (Large).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	19238

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard...everything looks great! One item you might want to consider is the location of the BMV-712. I installed ours next to the CCGX in the trailer and after going on our first trip with the new system I am not able to bluetooth into the BMV-712 when inside my truck. I can connect to the solar charger since that is located in the front bay but not the BMV-712 since it is too far away. I only mention this in case you want to be able to check the batteries while going down the road.

Part of the reason for our install was to be able to run both fridges while driving and not use the propane for our larger fridge. I was hoping to be able to check the BMV-712 but couldn't while on the road. The good thing is we have so much solar that our batteries where 100% charged when showing up to camp after 5 hours of driving and driving home it was rainy/cloudy and they were close to 90%.

I only mention this in case you do want to be able to check your battery status from the truck. In hindsight, I probably would have installed the BMV-712 in the front bay close to the truck. I also find myself only checking the CCGX when in the trailer.
    Damon and Colleen
    B&W Companion Non-Slider

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post
    Howard...everything looks great! One item you might want to consider is the location of the BMV-712. I installed ours next to the CCGX in the trailer and after going on our first trip with the new system I am not able to bluetooth into the BMV-712 when inside my truck. I can connect to the solar charger since that is located in the front bay but not the BMV-712 since it is too far away. I only mention this in case you want to be able to check the batteries while going down the road.

Part of the reason for our install was to be able to run both fridges while driving and not use the propane for our larger fridge. I was hoping to be able to check the BMV-712 but couldn't while on the road. The good thing is we have so much solar that our batteries where 100% charged when showing up to camp after 5 hours of driving and driving home it was rainy/cloudy and they were close to 90%.

I only mention this in case you do want to be able to check your battery status from the truck. In hindsight, I probably would have installed the BMV-712 in the front bay close to the truck. I also find myself only checking the CCGX when in the trailer.
    Yes I can vouch for this. I have the older version of the BMV which has the external bluetooth dongle. I am thinking of moving my dongle to the front bay to make it able to be read from the truck. My Victron Solar Controller is readable from the truck, but it would be nice to be able to see the battery monitor as well.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast