User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COLRetired View Post
    Update.

I took the theater seats apart, hooked up the power supply from the right side (non working side) to the left side and it worked fine = power supply ok.

I removed the control box and when I hooked it back up the lights flashed for a second and went out = probably the control box. I opened the control box and unplugged and re-plugged each of the connections to make sure they were seated well, no joy. I didn't see any pinched or cut wires. I also tried to hook up the control box from the left seat to the right seat (I didn't remove it from the left seat) but there were still a couple of small connections on the back of the seat that I couldn't extend to the the left seat. When connected the right seat tried to recline. After all this analysis I concluded it must be the control box that went bad.

I just got off the phone with Lippert Customer service and they are shipping me a new control box.

https://www.lci1.com/support/#contact

I betting its the box as well. I've attached some pictures of the chair (yes we have dogs ... lots of hair under the seat) in case anyone is interested in what all the wiring looks like and what the control box looks like. I also removed some of the dust cloth so that I could make sure the connection to the cup holder didn't come lose and took a shot of that as well.

Once I get the new control box I'll do another update to let you all know if that fixed the problem.

Lippert didn't charge me for the part, just asked a few details about the chair to make sure they were sending the correct part, kudos to them.

Pete

Attachment 17727Attachment 17728Attachment 17729
    Pete, is the recliner attached to the floor? Also, where is the control box? I don't see it in the pics.

Great and helpful post. Thanks.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    Pete can you tell us where, in the first photo, we'll find the control box? And the second photo, I assume is the bottom view of the cup holder? And again I assume the photo on the right is the "control box"?

Thanks a bunch for being the explorer and posting the photos.
    The control box is screwed into the outside arm rest on both the right and left seats. Really easy to get to once you unscrew the chair from the floor. Two screws in the front under the leg rest.

You can also remove the back of the chair. There are two slides that hold it on. You'll need to pull out on the tabs (I pushed in first but it didn't work) and then slide the back up and off.

Pete
    Last edited by COLRetired; 02-18-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are you guys working directly with LCI on repairs or are you starting with Grand Design?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    So are you guys working directly with LCI on repairs or are you starting with Grand Design?
    I called LCI direct. Figured I'd give them a shot and then call GD if I didn't get a good response from them. I told LCI i had a 2017 Solitude 384GK, used it about 35 day in 2017, and FT since Aug 2018. They immediately figured it was the control box. Asked a few questions about the cup holder design (round or square) and the features on it. They said there are 2 different controllers and were going to send me both to make sure I got the right one. They only had one in stock and think it's the correct one. They are shipping it out today. If it's not the right one, they said the'll ship the other = it's on back order but should be in stock in a couple of days. I'll update when I get it and hopefully it's the correct one and fixes the problem.
    LCI never asked for payment, just shipping it direct to me. I can't complain about their service = they're sending the part free of charge.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COLRetired View Post
    I called LCI direct. Figured I'd give them a shot and then call GD if I didn't get a good response from them....
    Thanks Pete

I just sent Lippert an email explaining the problem with my failed seat heating. We'll see what happens...
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LCI sells some crap and does not stand behind it. JMHO
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pete, awesome follow up and posting. Brian keep us posted on your problem.. I'm currently not at the coach, I should be back there next week, and I hope to have your information before I start taking things apart.
    Thanks gang this has been most helpful.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So . . . I did some measuring and calculating today . . .
    (using some "rather rusty" basic electrical engineering)

Chair 1 has a little bit of heat, but far less than it used to.
    At the heating pad connection under the seat:
    Controller output is 12V
    Heating pad resistance is 25 ohms
    Current measures 0.5A (confirms I=V/R = 12/25)
    Power =VI =12x0.5 = 6 watts . . . no wonder there is very little heating.

I have no idea what the specs are, but if the heating pad were to be as warm as a 60 watt light bulb it would draw 5A.
    This would mean that heating pad resistance should be something like 2.5 ohms. R = V/I
    My conclusion . . . the heating pad has far too high a resistance.

Chair 2 has no heat.
    Heating Pad resistance is infinite (open circuit) . . . this makes sense too.
    There is 12V at the controller output.

It would be interesting if someone could measure the resistance of a seat heater producing full heat.
    The connector is easy to get to under the seat when it is reclined. (see picture)

Please feel free to check/correct my electrical math .

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5757.jpg   IMG_5758.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I called LCI customer service and told them one of our chairs was heating only intermittently. She quickly agreed to send two control boards to me.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    So I called LCI customer service and told them one of our chairs was heating only intermittently. She quickly agreed to send two control boards to me.
    It will be interesting to learn whether a new control board fixes the problem. I can turn 12V at the heating pad connector on/off with the cupholder switch . . . indicating that the switch and controller are working correctly . . . I think the problem is the heating pad buried in the seat .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast