Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    We think alike!

The max weight allowed on the front hitch is 500lbs. Last check my 315's tongue weight was 1,700.

What I'd need is a "wheel stand" to set the trailer tongue on that allows me to push the trailer into position. Could come in very handy at a tight campground.

I probably wouldn't want to carry yet one more "thing", though. (I've been thinking about it...always thinking!)
    There are HD caster wheels that can go on your front trailer jack. The one that stands out in memory had dual rubber ones that would work on gravel.

On edit - found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihlHMPSgM0g
    Last edited by powerscol; 02-12-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clampetts go camping

We had a front hitch on our 2002 Chevy for use with a light duty snow plow and since it was already there I used it for a bike rack. Then we decided to buy 2 Yamaha 49CC scooters and needed a way to bring them along. You can see the solution in the pictures;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clampetts go camping front.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	17636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clampetts go camping back.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	17637
    This worked ok on short trips for a couple of years. Then we moved on from the scooters and along came the GD and dully, now we don't even take the bikes along.
    Last edited by T'boro Fisher; 02-12-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    Del & Vickie
    2016 Reflection 337
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD w/Hips - 4WD

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    There are HD caster wheels that can go on your front trailer jack. The one that stands out in memory had dual rubber ones that would work on gravel.

On edit - found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihlHMPSgM0g
    Very cool. Unfortunately the weight limit is 600lbs. https://www.crofttrailer.com/croft-pneumatic-wheel-kit/

Amazing how many gadgets are available!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Unanticipated Conflict (FAIL!)

Well darn. I didn't consider the truck's adaptive cruise (ACC). With the bike rack installed the ACC immediately applies the brakes when it is engaged. Cruise control works in normal mode, but I want the use of ACC.

I guess I have a front hitch installed for nothing. Rats.
    Last edited by howson; 04-26-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swagman XC2 (when stored) works* with ACC!

I found a solution to the Adaptive Cruise (ACC) problem I outlined in post #1 4.

The Swagman XC2 bike rack folds vertically resulting in a narrow profile. I am thrilled to report that the ACC on my '17 Ford DRW works* with the rack on the truck when the rack is stowed. It should be obvious that when bikes are on the rack the ACC will not work.

What I plan to do carry the bikes on the back of the trailer as I've been doing and leave the Swagman on the front of the truck (stowed). When Fran and I get to a location and want to transport the bikes to another location it will take me less than 5 minutes to transfer them from the back of the trailer to the front of the truck. I won't have to move the rear bike rack or even take out the Blue Ox WD from the rear of the truck if I don't want to do so. (I typically don't if we're traveling the next day.)

Why do this? I'll repeat what I wrote in post #1 : I despise having to move the bike rack from the rear of the trailer to the truck when we're going to a bike trail. The rack will now stay on the front of the truck (when we're out camping) so it is always available to haul the bikes to a trail. One less item on the things-to-do list. (If you've read any of my posts you know I'm on a mission to reduce the number of "things" involved in setup and tear down or day-to-day.)

Two caveats:

1) The Swagman XC2 has a bright yellow sticker with bold letters stating it is not to be used on the back of a 5th wheel or travel trailer. The Swagman XC2 Traveler is RV approved. (Looks the same...darn it. Wish I'd gotten the traveler version.)

2)*I went for about a 10 mile test drive. The ACC engaged at 26 mph and also at 55 mph without any issues. A truck turned in front of me and the ACC identified the vehicle and briefly applied the brakes (as it normally acts). Undoubtedly there's a warning somewhere about using the ACC with something attached to the front of the vehicle, so if you choose to copy what I've done you do so at your own risk.

Some pics:

The rack arms stowed. In this configuration the ACC worked!

With two bikes installed.

View from the driver's seat with bikes installed.

-Howard

P.S. I have no affiliation with Swagman--just thrilled with the product and it's application so wanted to pass along what I'd found.
    Last edited by howson; 04-26-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We think alike!

The max weight allowed on the front hitch is 500lbs. Last check my 315's tongue weight was 1,700.

What I'd need is a "wheel stand" to set the trailer tongue on that allows me to push the trailer into position. Could come in very handy at a tight campground.

I probably wouldn't want to carry yet one more "thing", though. (I've been thinking about it...always thinking!)
    I had a driveway at a previous address that turned 270 degrees and was 25Ft higher at the top (by the garage door) than street level. I used a front hitch to push a pop up camper up that nightmare! Pop up lived in the garage. This works very well for tight maneuvers.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I plan to do carry the bikes on the back of the trailer as I've been doing and leave the Swagman on the front of the truck (stowed). When Fran and I get to a location and want to transport the bikes to another location it will take me less than 5 minutes to transfer them from the back of the trailer to the front of the truck.
    Sorry to be so simple, but if you're going to haul the bikes on the RV, then move them to the truck for a ride, why not just do this:

Name:	Yakima1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	22366

Name:	Yakima2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	22367

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-BlockH...ateway&sr=8-29

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDXZGMB...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    -Steve
    Last edited by andrewssteve; 09-03-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12