User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front Hitch Install - Notes & Lessons Learned

UPDATE: If your truck has adaptive cruise read post 14!

I installed a front hitch on my '17 Ford F-350 DRW yesterday. Why? I'll explain at the end (if you're really curious).

This is the hitch I installed: https://www.etrailer.com/Front_Hitch...ite/65076.html
    (Disclaimer: I do not have any affiliation with etrailer, Draw-tite. Link does not benefit me, it is provided as a reference only.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Draw Tite Front Hitch Installation Instructions.pdf 
Views:	32 
Size:	746.3 KB 
ID:	17618

Step 1 in the instructions (see attached PDF) says to trim or remove the lower air dam. I removed mine as I didn't want to cut a hole and then find out the measurements in the directions were wrong or I misinterpreted something. I cut the hole in the air dam last, slowly making the hole bigger until it just fit. As is mentioned in multiple reviews on etrailer, Draw-Tite should provide a overlay to finish off the look. I'm going to find U-channel trim to make it look better. (It's not bad, but on close inspection you can see the rough edges.)

Step 3--I didn't have the skid plates (I think it is part of the FX4 option) so I skipped loosening the outside nuts. I had to install spacers (red #1 in my picture) since the skid plates were not there.

Step 5--this is red #2 (bolt and washer+nut) in my picture. Easy enough to install per the instructions.

Step 6--don't do it! Skip to step 7 and install the hitch using the two bolts installed in step 5. Hand tighten the nuts.

Again, if you have the skid plate, you don't need the (smaller) spacer (red #1 in the picture). I had to install them. What I ended up doing is lining up the spacer between the truck and hitch while feeding the curled end of the fish wire through the hitch, then spacer, then into the truck frame (red #3 in my pic). I was then able to grab the curled end of the fish wire after feeding it underneath the frame of the truck and then attached a bolt and (larger) spacer to the fish wire.

If that's hard to visualize, think of fishing the curled end of the fish wire from left to right while looking at the picture above through the referenced (red #3 ) holes.

I could then pull the bolt back through the frame, spacer, and finally the hitch so I could attach the washer and nut. Hand tighten the hardware. Repeat for the second hole, then repeat on the other side of the hitch.

Finish installation by doing steps 8, 9 & 10. (I couldn't fit a torque wrench in the space, so I just gorilla'd the nuts until they were tight.)

Now, as promised, the "why".

I despise having to move the bike rack from the rear of the trailer to the truck when we're going to a bike trail. The rack will now stay on the front of the truck (when we're out camping) so it is always available to haul the bikes to a trail. One less item on the things-to-do list. (If you've read any of my posts you know I'm on a mission to reduce the number of "things" involved in setup and tear down or day-to-day.)

Even more important, I am over the GVWR on my 315 by over 300lbs. With the bikes on the front I move weight from the trailer to the truck (I have gobs of payload left in the truck). I put a cargo tray on the back of the trailer (I haven't shown you this--yet) and moved heavy items stored in the storage under the bed to the rear of the trailer. This weight redistribution, in addition to other efforts Fran and I are undertaking, *should* help reduce my tongue weight (last calculated at 1,700lbs) and lighten the trailer. (The kennel project I posted a few days ago is also part of this effort.) I'm going to stop at the CAT scale in early March to verify I'm making progress.

As always, your well-meaning critiques or suggestions are welcome.

-Howard
    Last edited by howson; 03-15-2019 at 04:44 AM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I installed a front hitch on my '17 Ford F-350 DRW yesterday. Why? I'll explain at the end (if you're really curious).

I despise having to move the bike rack from the rear of the trailer to the truck when we're going to a bike trail. The rack will now stay on the front of the truck (when we're out camping) so it is always available to haul the bikes to a trail. One less item on the things-to-do list. (If you've read any of my posts you know I'm on a mission to reduce the number of "things" involved in setup and tear down or day-to-day.)

-Howard
    Excellent solution
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a hitch on the front of our van we used for towing years ago that we put the bicycle rack for our bikes when towing. Worked good except that it killed the gas mileage.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering if the hitch and the front of your truck could handle the trailers' hitch weight? That way if need be you could maneuver the trailer into a tight spot more easily. If you've never maneuvered a trailer from the steer side of a vehicle, you should try it. So much easier to maneuver!

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one on my truck as well.

Holds bikes where I can see them, and I have a rack to put in to support kayaks as well.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Just wondering if the hitch and the front of your truck could handle the trailers' hitch weight? That way if need be you could maneuver the trailer into a tight spot more easily. If you've never maneuvered a trailer from the steer side of a vehicle, you should try it. So much easier to maneuver!

John
    We think alike!

The max weight allowed on the front hitch is 500lbs. Last check my 315's tongue weight was 1,700.

What I'd need is a "wheel stand" to set the trailer tongue on that allows me to push the trailer into position. Could come in very handy at a tight campground.

I probably wouldn't want to carry yet one more "thing", though. (I've been thinking about it...always thinking!)
    Last edited by howson; 02-12-2019 at 05:54 AM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed a front hitch also, same 500 LB tongue weight, 5,000 LB gross trailer weight. Sits a bit lower than yours Howard.
    Directions were also off on how wide to cut air dam around the receiver, so had to glue some pieces back on each side.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A neighbor of ours who had a boat wasn't very good at backing up a trailer. He put the hitch on the front and solved his problem of getting that boat into his backyard.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the front hitch on my F350, was a bit tricky but doable. Now working on a rack for two kayaks. Will post pictures when done. Chris
    Chris & Kelly-- Tulsa
    Reflection 337 #217, SOLD 7-3-2017
    2015 Ford F350 CC LB
    B & W Companion
    2016 Solitude 369

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I also installed a Reese hitch on the front of my truck. I only used it once when we took our grandsons on a week trip and needed to carry 4 bikes. I'm actually kicking around removing it.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast