User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting to California from Illinois

We are planning on going from Illinois to California and see some national parks there. How much time would you say would we need to go from Chicago to LA area? We plan on driving through Colorado and Arizona. We really don't plan on making longer stops in Colorado, just drive through it. We do plan on seeing Grand Canyon and Sedona area in AZ. I have 3 weeks that I can take off from work.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took two weeks to go round trip to Mt. Rushmore from Northern Illinois. We took our time...three days out, eight days in South Dakota, and three days back. I guess it really depends on how far you go each day and how long you want to spend in CA. I would look at some of the trip planners out there. Good Sam and KOA have planners with membership as well as a couple of companies you can purchase planners from. I will say they were helpful for our planning. Good luck. Happy Camping!
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    We are planning on going from Illinois to California and see some national parks there. How much time would you say would we need to go from Chicago to LA area? We plan on driving through Colorado and Arizona. We really don't plan on making longer stops in Colorado, just drive through it. We do plan on seeing Grand Canyon and Sedona area in AZ. I have 3 weeks that I can take off from work.
    You are talking about From Illinois to CA and back again, right?

It took us 4 days to get from Southern CA to Idaho (4 one night stops). So, I'd probably add at least a couple of more days to that. That means at least 12 days out of your 21 days will be taken up with traveling. Unless you do some really long days traveling. We typically aim for 200-225 max a day.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to know what people can typically cover in a single day. The most I've done was about 1100 miles, but without a trailer. I figure I'd average around 60mph while towing, plus few stops along the way for rest/food/fuel. I'm estimating about 3 days to get in to CA from our home. The first day my plan is to cover most of the ground.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve pulled 800 a couple of times but that is really pushing it. 500-600 is usually what I try and keep as a max. I figure 50-60 per hour as an average including stops for gas and food. I’ll try and stop for sit down meals to get a good rest.

Now if I could only get the wife to take a stint we could go much further
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our target travel day is 300 to 400 miles. This is 3 hours in the morning, a stop for lunch and to play with the dogs, then 3 hours in the afternoon. We leave the previous campground by 9 and get to the next one by 4. This is why we tow our house behind us .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Our target travel day is 300 to 400 miles. This is 3 hours in the morning, a stop for lunch and to play with the dogs, then 3 hours in the afternoon. We leave the previous campground by 9 and get to the next one by 4. This is why we tow our house behind us .

Rob
    Any more than 4-500 miles in a day starts to feel like an emergency to me, towing or not. I'm on vacation fer cryin' out loud not an Iron Butt marathon! I like to keep it closer to 300.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I tow 3 hours tops, regardless of distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 200 mile day on the East coast or Midwest is a big day but 350-450 miles across Texas, NM, AZ and Southern CA is easy. To get anywhere different, we plan on a 4-500 mile drive from Tucson. After that, we slow down and smell the roses. It's all about where you are and how much of a hurry you are in.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    luke79
    I do about 500 miles a day if I am on a mission (10 to 12 hr max). If I have stops it could be as little as 200.

But I have a suggestion for you, Take the old Rout 66 It will put you below Colorado, and save you the mountain passes. Its easy to get off it and see the places you mention. I took the route about 12 years back with my daughter (teenager at the time) from Grand Junction CO to Peoria (yes I drove south to drive east. Was a great trip You'll find a mix of old road and interstate

I would plan for a full 2 weeks, but better to do it in three. Make reservation now.

Thought - you could do the 66 way out, and loop north to come back. Lots to see and do. On edit Web site with places to see along old 66 https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/maps66bing.html
    Last edited by powerscol; 02-12-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast