User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of Disc Brake Upgrade

I have a new 351 Momentum and thinking of upgrading to discs. Can't believe how poor the brakes are and I have manually adjusted them and still no improvement. My Momentum has Dexter axles and there are no seal leaks. For those that have done this there seems to be 2 main suppliers. Stopyourtrailer and Performance Brake. How would you rate either to deal with and pricing. Also they both use the Titan Brakerite actuator are there better options or is this unit the best. I heard there were a few issues with these.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5er Searching View Post
    I have a new 351 Momentum and thinking of upgrading to discs. Can't believe how poor the brakes are and I have manually adjusted them and still no improvement. My Momentum has Dexter axles and there are no seal leaks. For those that have done this there seems to be 2 main suppliers. Stopyourtrailer and Performance Brake. How would you rate either to deal with and pricing. Also they both use the Titan Brakerite actuator are there better options or is this unit the best. I heard there were a few issues with these.
    Enter stopyourtrailer into the search box (above, right) and click the small magnifying glass icon. Sit back and start reading!

I'm not directly answering your questions directly (sorry) but permit me to ask two of my own:

1) Does pulling the Momentum's emergency brake actuator lock up the tires? If not, there's an issue with the brakes or wiring going to the brakes.

2) Are you sure your TV's brake controller is working correctly? Your post doesn't say what you have.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We worked with Performance to get disc brakes on our 310GK. They were very easy to deal with and arranged installation while we were at the Quartzsite rally. They use independent installers in various parts of the country and our installer, Dennis Hageman, was excellent. His work was clean and organized and he was a delight to deal with. As far as pricing, we got a couple of hundred bucks off for doing it at the rally but Performance publishes their pricing on their site. I did not shop around for a better price due to the convenience of the installation.

The brakes themselves are simply superb. Sometimes as I come to a light or a stop sign I play with the controller and use the trailer to really slow the TV down. Couldn't do that with the drum brakes. The rig simply stops better and that gives me some more margin for an emergency stop. I have about 1500 miles on them now and will never own a large trailer without them again.
    Last edited by JColeman; 02-12-2019 at 06:31 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5er Searching View Post
    Hi 5er Searching,

You will find positive reports on both of these suppliers. Performance tends to offer "installed" systems. Stopyourtrailer tends to supply kits for owner installation or at an independent installer. Both are using the same/similar components. There are other actuators available. You can find these on eTrailer or talk to Bill at stopyourtrailer. Contact info in this thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...tem-Hydraulics

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installing them myself was way beyond my capabilities. Cannot beat the service Performance provides by installing the discs in my own driveway.
    Rob M
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went with Performance Trailer Braking. Very easy to deal with and no go back issues. We've been ocean to ocean and over the Rockies and no issues what so ever with the brakes. The brake pads still look new, a year and a half later.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am ordering from Performance Brakes as well. I hope they will ship and let me do it myself...still waiting on reply...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    I am ordering from Performance Brakes as well. I hope they will ship and let me do it myself...still waiting on reply...
    They do, seem like a nice couple. Will let everyone know how it goes. If wanted, I can document the self install on my rig...post it here somewhere...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    If wanted, I can document the self install on my rig...post it here somewhere...
    That would be awesome!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    That would be awesome!
    Will do. Will be a while, But soon...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast