User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel hitch recommendation

I am in serious research mode on my next RV, which will be a 5er, and right now the short list points to a Reflection 367BHS.

My Tow Vehicle is a 2017 Ram 3500, SRW, with factory puck system. Short bed, 4WD.

Right now, my short list on hitches is a BW Companion. Trying to decide now do I go with stationary or slider version.

With the short bed, and the new Reflections, do I need to worry about a slider? I'd hate to not buy it and need it, but would also hate to buy it and NOT need it.

Thoughts on this selection? Any other Ram puck system hitches I should consider. Apologies up front, I am really just not thrilled with using the Andersen Ultimate or the PullRite equivalent of that. I can't defend my rationale sanely, but I just "feel better" knowing I have a conventional 5th wheel hitch, rated for 10K more than the trailer will weigh, and hopefully 3K more than the pin weight I will experience.

Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by Walaby; 02-12-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the B&W slider for the Ford puck system. It is a quality product.

We use the slider every time we enter a campground. When the missus goes to check it, I slide the hitch back, and it stays that way until ready to hit the road again. It is a great piece of mind, plus it gives a bit more reaction when backing since the the pin is behind the rear axle instead of over it.

I can get about a 70 degree angle without the slider back before the camper gets uncomfortable close to the truck, so I am really careful on sharp, prolonged turns on the road.........like a u-turn or fuel station. Worse comes to worse, I can always slide the hitch back when needed anytime.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the Reese Titan R20 which can also be equipped as a slider. It also can be broken down easily into 3 pieces for removal. Solid hitch with built in dampeners. No chucking or bumping either. Very quiet.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 367BHS towing with a short bed Ford and the B&W Companion Slider. Have rarely used the slider but it is nice to have it in case I ever get into a predicament. I admit we typically reserve full hook up sites in RV parks and don’t do state parks or any boondocking. I feel that if you were to include state parks, etc. in your travels you would be wise to add a slider for maneuverability.

The B&W is the only hitch for me very high quality. I also have the B&W Tow & Stow triple ball draw bar for bumper pulling and it is top notch as well. I agree that I would not be comfortable with one of the alternatives to the traditional fifth wheel hitch either. I am just more comfortable with the B&W. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't look like Reese has one that fits the Ram OEM Puck system. At least I couldn't find it on the Reese website

Thanks

Mike

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MtnGuy and RVRunners. I suppose the price difference is not huge when you think about dropping 55+K or so on the RV.

I also really like what I see with the PullRite 2315 Auto slider, but man that's a hefty price tag, and saw another post where an owner with a 2018 Ram 3500 needs to add an adapter to raise the hitch high enough to clear his bed rails.

Mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Doesn't look like Reese has one that fits the Ram OEM Puck system. At least I couldn't find it on the Reese website

Thanks

Mike
    Reese makes a puck to rail adapter for the Ram and other vehicles https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP30154.html
    The slider kit will also fit this.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Reese makes a puck to rail adapter for the Ram and other vehicles https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP30154.html
    The slider kit will also fit this.
    I like that...

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks... I'll check it out

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X3 on the B&W slider. Love it! Plus it comes apart in two pieces to make it a little easier to get in/out of the truck when not using it. That plus I hated having bed rails in my truck when empty, and being able to pull a gooseneck when needed too.
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast