User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cedar Point Ohio planning trip

Hello GDOG,

The wife and I having been thinking about our next summer trip. One of the ideas being tossed around is heading out to Cedar Point for a couple of days since my daughter and I can do roller coasters. The wife not so much but she can handle a couple of them. The Phoenix comes to kind at Knoebel's in PA. While researching the campground on site, it's a pretty penny for camping. My first reaction was Fort Wilderness at WDW seemed to be cheaper per night in a premium loop. (Not so much any more with the rate increases but you get the point.) I was thinking about trying to make at least one night time run of the park as we love night time with the lights and the experience is different.

Here are some details in my brain no particular order...

-We are thinking 2 maybe 3 nights. I figured between the drive out from NJ is going to be around 8 hours. The first night is more of a settling in event maybe some park time depending on the conditions.
    -2 days in the park. I saw an express pass for easy ride access.
    -Going at the end of August. We generally take off the week before Labor Day as a last blast to summer and before school is back in session for us.
    -The thing that gets about the about the on site campground is the weird rules. I never seen a campground that doesn't allow bike riding. Pets need to be registered too? WTF! Never heard of such policies.
    -The campground is close to the park(walking distance) so free parking especially if the park is charging 20 bucks to park on top of entrance fees.
    - Weather and local conditions. I posted up on another forum and several people said the camp ground was OK but the bugs were insanely annoying. Others said it's fine.

Not being down on the place or what not. I would like to get some helpful advice for the trip planning. Must dos. Must see. Best way to enjoy the trip. If the on site campground is worth the price of admission, no problem. Once again just looking at other's experiences and advice. Sorry to seem scatter brained about this. Just been bustin' rear at work so my head's in a few places at once. TIA....
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expense aside, camping at the park is so much more convenient. Wanna take a break and not eat lunch in the park, go to the camper. Stay late, not a problem, lots of people do and then they are in a line for 30-45 minutes to get off the peninsula. If it's really warm, they have a great water park. The end of summer is a very busy time at that park. They also have a very cool Halloween program that my older kids still like going to. Have camped there several times to do the park. Camped three nights (1 for the park and 1 for the water park) just so we didn't have to drive the 4hrs home after the park.
    Patrick & Marla with Boomer and Sooner

2007 Chev 2500 Allison Duramax
    2014 Solitude 368RD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We too have camped at Cedar Point many times. EVERYTHING Phansen404 said is correct. It's pricey at the park but worth it. Don't worry about the quirky rules about no bike riding and no fires, you will be too busy to miss it, they do have a fishing pier if that's your thing. Staying at the park campground allows you 1 hour early admission, you get to ride some major roller coasters before they get crowded. Also, the park runs special events and some rides are often open til midnight for season pass holders. Also, you can walk to the water park or the amusement park, or take a shuttle, they run all the time.

We eat ALL our meals at the camper, sometimes I stay behind at night to relax while wife and kids ride until they drop. We are there this summer in the executive sites that are really really big bucks. Looking forward to all of it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information so far on the campground. My wife and I will have to look into it further. It sounds like we should camp there if we go.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like Maumi Bay state park (just east of Toledo). But it is probably 35 minutes or so from Cedar Point.
    2019 Reflection 150 - 295RL
    2018 F-150 Heavy Duty Payload
    Max Trailer Tow

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have stayed at Lighthouse Point many times over the years in the old campground (now gone), as well as the new. Things are kept very clean and can't beat the location. Another perk for staying on property is 1 hour early entry; it helps coaster freaks get multiple rides in before the lines grow and reduced park ticket prices. +1 on the HalloWeekends. It's a hoot to see what kind of costumes/makeup the scaresters come up with.