Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backup camera wiring

So the new (used) trailer I recently purchased has a Tadi Brother 4 camera wireless system in it. I will need to get a cigarette lighter adapter for the truck if I want to use it. Not sure if I will.

So the problem I have is I am pretty sure it killed my battery, which then froze, in the 4 days before I could get it out when I picked the trailer up. My plan is to put inline switches to power the cameras down when I am not using them. The front 2 cameras have the transmitter in the propane compartments so those are easy to get to. The wires from the back go into one of the 2 running lights on the top back.

Has anyone installed a system like this? I have no idea how he wired the back ones, or where the transmitters would be. I am hoping he wired them into the running lights, but cant check until I get an adapter for the monitor. Would there even be a way to get a constant 12 volt source up the back wall?

Thanks for the help. I don't want to kill another battery.
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess that the back camera is wired to the marker lights. If it is the only way for it to have power would be if the truck is plugged to trailer and truck lights are on. If they are powered with out the truck connected then they are getting power from who knows where.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brian is correct. To solve your issue re wire it to the clearance lights. No need for a fancy switch. My guess is they got power from the cabinet light as other have done. Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wiring them to the clearance lights is the only way I install them. the only thing is you have to run with your lights on during the day.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just affirming what others have said, there appears to be no ONE WAY that the camera receivers are wired by Grand Design. We had a 2018 Reflection on which the power was taken from the marker lights... perfect. On our 2018 Solitude I don’t know what it was SUPPOSED to be wired to - the connection had come apart from another sloppy factory installation but there was no power on the wire it had broken from even after I turned various things on and off. Whatever it was, it was not the marker lights so I had to install a new wire to bring power down from them to power the camera.

I believe that someone reported here that theirs was on the same circuit as the kitchen fan! Rather than try to figure out what random wire was grabbed by the factory installer, it’s probably easiest to just do the installation properly yourself, run wire the few inches down through the styrofoam from the marker lights to the camera bracket.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so a follow up to my first post. I found the rear camera transmitters in the bunk room TV hutch while I was cleaning the camper out. They had no power to them so for now I am assuming that they are tied into the running lights. I will have to connect to the truck to verify. The front cameras I have wired a switch into the lines so I can turn them off when not using them and not drain my battery. Super easy.

So my question is, I connected the monitor to the battery to try out the camera as I don't have an adapter for the truck yet. The monitor turned on, but I get no signal from the cameras. Only two of the four were on and I was only a few feet from the transmitters. Is there something I need to do to reset them?

I have read a few other posts and it sounds like the Tadi systems are not the greatest and several people have junked them. I am not sure if I will use them a lot so I can't justify replacing it with a different system just yet. I would like to try them out first. I tried to contact Tadi and it tells me my message doesn't go through, but I now randomly get junk email from them. Seems fishy.
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS