User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pex fittings leak

Recently discovered wet floor in cargo area . When I opened it up I found a leak at one of the "tee" fittings in the area behind the water control panel. After fixing that I could hear water dripping. Discovered another drip from a "tee" near the water heater. I haven't fixed that one yet. I have to figure out how to get to it. Question is how many more and how long has this one been leaking. I am surprised since these are "PEX" fitttings. Shouldn't be leaking. Always an adventure RVing.

2015 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulandruby View Post
    Recently discovered wet floor in cargo area . When I opened it up I found a leak at one of the "tee" fittings in the area behind the water control panel. After fixing that I could hear water dripping. Discovered another drip from a "tee" near the water heater. I haven't fixed that one yet. I have to figure out how to get to it. Question is how many more and how long has this one been leaking. I am surprised since these are "PEX" fitttings. Shouldn't be leaking. Always an adventure RVing.

2015 Reflection 337RLS
    Some members have almost literally rebuilt their entire plumbing system. Use the Advanced Search function and select the Plumbing sub-group, then search on username @Cate&Rob. The threads returned will keep you reading for days.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of discussions on this forum about Grand Designs use (and defense) of soft (braided) hose with PEX connectors and crimp bands. Seams like most will eventually start leaking. The PEX fitting is slightly to small for the ID of the braided hose and the pinch clamp does not tighten enough. Search for PEX and leaks in the search box (upper right of each page - just above the "advanced search" button for lots of information. Rob @Cate&Rob has completely redone his water plumbing to eliminate these mismatched components and has a lot of very good information on what is involved.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Lots of discussions on this forum about Grand Designs use (and defense) of soft (braided) hose with PEX connectors and crimp bands. Seams like most will eventually start leaking. The PEX fitting is slightly to small for the ID of the braided hose and the pinch clamp does not tighten enough. Search for PEX and leaks in the search box (upper right of each page - just above the "advanced search" button for lots of information. Rob @Cate&Rob has completely redone his water plumbing to eliminate these mismatched components and has a lot of very good information on what is involved.

Chris
    Think there's any truth to the rumor that the Mighty Plumber (Nintendo) character was based on @Rob's plumbing exploits?

2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a leak in ours today, right at the fitting to the water filter. It too is a braided soft hose on what appears to be a pex fitting. I rally don't like those things. Getting the pex clamp off was a real treat as I don't have the proper tool for them. I put on a regular hose clamp but had to really crank it down tight to get to not leak.

I looked all around underneath and don't see water coming out anywhere else but I am now more nervous than I was before about this problem.

It would seem that any one with a half working brain would be able to figur out that putting a hose of a slightly larger diameter than the fitting is designed for is a bad idea, then to use a clamp that is not designed for this type of hose is an even bigger mistake.

I hope Grand Design comes to their senses and does something to make these right.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club.

The good news it isn't that difficult for the most part to swap the soft hose to PEX.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Think there's any truth to the rumor that the Mighty Plumber (Nintendo) character was based on @Rob's plumbing exploits?

I think you're right. Looks a lot like him too.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a leak to the side of my Kantleak valve. It was a bunch of nylon fittings put together by Grand Design.
    One started leaking, and I disassembled all the fittings and screwed them back together with Gray Teflon tape. It is thicker and works better than the thin White Teflon tape. No problems since.

I was talking to our campground maintenance men who have 25 rental trailers to look after. All their plumbing now is done with nylon fittings, and they've given up on using PEX fittings.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Welcome to the club.

The good news it isn't that difficult for the most part to swap the soft hose to PEX.
    We are living in it for the winter so I am not going to be digging in to the plumbing any more than absolutely necessary. I really hate working on plumbing so I am not yet sure what all I am going to be doing with it. I do know I am not at all a fan of the pex clamps.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a tool to remove the pex cinch clamp
    Other than a pair of side cutters?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast