User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rv park recommendations Lake Wales or Sebring area Fl for winter months

I'm looking for RV park recommendations for the 2019/2020 winter season in central Florida. Even the Lakeland area would be great. It is just myself my wife and our cat. We want to visit some while we are down here this winter. We are not pulling a trailer yet but will be by June. Looking for a park with a nice pool good wifi and close to shopping and stores.

Thanks

Ken

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    I'm looking for RV park recommendations for the 2019/2020 winter season in central Florida. Even the Lakeland area would be great. It is just myself my wife and our cat. We want to visit some while we are down here this winter. We are not pulling a trailer yet but will be by June. Looking for a park with a nice pool good wifi and close to shopping and stores.

Thanks

Ken

This thread is relevant to your question and is very recent: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...oom-in-the-Inn
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I had read that thread.

Ken

2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't recommend a campground but I can highly recommend Sunday brunch at the Jacaranda Hotel in Avon Park. We did a rally in that area a few years back at Christmas time. The hotel brunch was so good and the hotel so nicely decorated I did a "rally" the next year but we stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. The brunch is put on by the cooking school located there, the price is very reasonable, and to variety of food was wonderful as was the tastiness.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an old KOA campground on Hwy 27 south of town, but I would rather stay at Parakeet Park, on Alt 27 just south of town.

It's always been a family/retiree park. Very quiet, as there are no major roads nearby.

Call first, as it may be full of snowbirds. When I lived there, it was called Parakeet City and many folks kept their trailers there year-round, commuting between the snow and the park, as desired.

You will be near the Chalet Suzanne (world-class cooking), Crooked Lake (world-class bass fishing) in Babson Park and Masterpiece Gardens.

Masterpiece Gardens has a HUGE tile mosaic of DaVinci's Last Supper that is well worth the trip.

Don't miss the Singing Tower north of town or the downtown Arcade built in the '20s.

Lake Wales has the largest collection of Art Deco architecture from the '20s in the state.

There is a lovely spot for picnicking on the west side of Lake Wailes (sic).

If you go to Spook Hill, keep in mind the legend is politically-correct hogwash and you have to get out of the car towards the southeast to see the gravity hill effect - if it is still possible after they built up the area and stuck houses everywhere. If you stay in the car, the illusion doesn't work - all you do is roll backwards.

If the Little Theater has a performance, it might be worth attending. I don't know. It was founded by a family friend after I left. (Trivia: it is housed in what used to be the Band Building for the original Lake Wales High School.)

Back when the Florida Natural canning plant was Donald Duck, they would give tours of the facility. You might find it quite interesting, if they still give tours, and the orange juice they serve is the real deal, not the mixed nonsense you get in the stores. You will be spoiled forever.

Ridge Manor (now called Noah's Ark, I believe) is a lovely Bed and Breakfast that is worth visiting, just to walk through the lobby.

I used to live next door to it, back in the day, and the building, itself, is lovely.

LEGOLAND is in nearby Winter Haven.

Vero Beach is 70 miles to the East on Hwy 60 and Tampa/St. Petersburg is about 60 miles West on the same highway.

Since you will be on the highest point on the peninsula, you get moderating winds from both the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. In other words, the weather is usually quite nice.

If you were looking for a place to relax, you've found it.

Enjoy.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow @Najataagihe . . . you really know the Lake Wales area !

We have been snowbirding here (at Saddlebag Lake Resort just east of Lake Wales on 60) for 4 years and have found many of the sites you list. Per your info, there are more to find .
    The only one on your list that is gone now (that I know of) is Chez Suzanne which apparently closed several years ago.

I'm not the OP . . . but, thanks for all the information!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Wow @Najataagihe . . . you really know the Lake Wales area !
    I would hope so. I grew up there.

The only one on your list that is gone now (that I know of) is Chez Suzanne which apparently closed several years ago.
    I did not know Chalet Suzanne closed. Bummer.

I did know the Black Hills Passion Play was blown away in a hurricane a few years ago. Nothing left but a few bits of concrete. Sad.

If you want to have some fun on a warm day, go out to Lake Walk-in-the-Water and see how far you can get offshore before getting tired and throwing in the towel.

I think they call it Lake Weohyakapka, now.

Crystal Lake Park is also a lovely place to relax. Tennis courts, lawn bowling and a playground for the kids. It's over across the street from the First United Methodist Church.

It is just south of the Little Theater building where there is a walking track that used to be a railroad.

The road dead ends at the building but, back in the day, there was a creosote-soaked wooden bridge that spanned the tracks. Since the school was not air-conditioned, classes came to a screeching halt when a train came through.

The Walesbilt Hotel is supposed to be haunted. It's been closed for several years, but I think they still have an occasional ghost tour. Every few years, someone gets on a wild hair to refurbish it, but I don't think there will ever be a market for it, again.

The old Catholic Church on Hwy 60 across from CVS is now the Arts Center, I believe. The same lady who started the Little Theater was a major force in getting it set up.

It was a lovely place to spend a childhood.

8)
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know the Highland Hammocks State park is right on the south end of Sebring and although you can only stay 2 weeks at a time there are very nice hiking and bird watching trails. Still very close to all the shopping and restaurants. What ever you do eat at Crazy Fish at Lake Wales, we never miss it. Extremely fresh fish and they break them down right in front of you if you get there at the right time.
    Last edited by ksbowman; 02-27-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    You know the Highland Hammocks State park is right on the south end of Sebring and although you can only stay 2 weeks at a time there are very nice hiking and bird watching trails. Still very close to all the shopping and restaurants. What ever you do eat at Crazy Fish at Lake Wales, we never miss it. Extremely fresh fish and they break them down right in front of you if you get there at the right time.
    Amazing how this all interconnects . We were staying at Highland Hammocks when we discovered Saddlebag Lake Resort where we are now. We are fifteen minutes from Crazy Fish. It is under new management this year and is better than ever. Our "most visited" restaurant in the area. Maybe we could come up with a GDRV Crazy Fish night ??

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Amazing how this all interconnects . We were staying at Highland Hammocks when we discovered Saddlebag Lake Resort where we are now. We are fifteen minutes from Crazy Fish. It is under new management this year and is better than ever. Our "most visited" restaurant in the area. Maybe we could come up with a GDRV Crazy Fish night ??

Rob
    Already home this year from Florida/Alabama ( too early). But , sounds good for next winter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast