Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camping in colder weather with Imagine 2670MK with Arctic 4-Season Package

Good Afternoon,

We just recently purchased an almost new 2018 Imagine 2670MK with all the packages including the Arctic 4-Season Package (which maybe all of the 2670MKs come with all the packages?). It is winterized now. One of the reasons we purchased this trailer is to hopefully be able to camp earlier in the spring/late winter and camp later in the fall/early winter....when there might be sustained temperatures in the mid-20s for example. We will buy a heated water supply hose. My question is around how well the trailer will handle de-winterization followed by travel and use...then back to being stored in an unheated lean-to adjacent to a metal shop building on our property until we take it out again. The lean-to has electrical service (regular house power) in it. Do I need to hook it to up say the house current (15-20 amp) and leave the central heat on (at what temp?) which uses propane during the idle time (after de-winterization) between trips? It has a heated and enclosed underbelly with suspended tanks, a designated heat duct to the subfloor and heated and enclosed dump valves. Again, I assume you'd need to keep the central heat on (using propane) set at a needed temperature to keep the lines and such from freezing. Also, what about the water heater. We would not leave water in the on-board tank and would empty the black and grey tanks before storing before the next trip. However, there would still be some water in the lines, I assume. Hopefully, I am making myself somewhat clear about the issues. Also, how well does the trailer handle being pulled say for 4-5 hours in temps of the mid-20s...does everything freeze up during that time?

I believe we would winterize it in say early December at the latest and de-winterize it in early March (at the earliest). We, of course, wouldn't camp in it while winterized.

I have an inquiry along these lines into the customer service department at Grand Design but I am not sure what guidance I will get back from it. There isn't much on this in the Owner's Manual.

Thanks for any thoughts/experience/insight.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dilemma will be traveling in the colder temps. These rv's are advertised as 4 seasons but this is a grey area. In the upper right side of the forum page is a little white box for searching. You may find some good reading there. If temps will rise into the 40's or so during the day you might not have many issues , but if it is below freezing for a few days I think everything will freeze. Others have found the heated underbelly has some issues with not getting heat to the right places.
    Others will offer better info as they have dealt with this more than me.

Brian

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Upon return, make sure all tanks are empty, including the fresh water. Pull the heater plug and drain that too. Then use a compressor to blow out the lines. You'll be fine. Use the antifreeze if anticipating longer storage at colder temps, as an extra level of protection.
    I wouldn't count on any heat being available in the underbelly when towing - going down the highway will just suck any that is there away. But, if you plan to fill your fresh water before leaving home, you should be just fine - it will take a long time to significantly freeze the tank, a few hours tow won't make a difference. I would, however, not turn on the water pump and get water into the plumbing until I got to the campground. Again almost certain that you will not have issues, but it is easy to just not take the chance. Best would be to take the compressor with you and drain/blow out before you hit the road. But if that is not practical, I would drain everything I can, as much as I can, and finish the blow out at home.
    As for actual camping: As noted, the longer it stays below freezing, and the colder it gets the more challenging it will be. A night in the 20's, getting up to the 40's is far different than a week constantly in the 20's.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gle3186 View Post
    Good Afternoon,

I believe we would winterize it in say early December at the latest and de-winterize it in early March (at the earliest). We, of course, wouldn't camp in it while winterized.

I have an inquiry along these lines into the customer service department at Grand Design but I am not sure what guidance I will get back from it. There isn't much on this in the Owner's Manual.

Thanks for any thoughts/experience/insight.
    We use ours off and on throughout the season in temps which range from well above freezing to overnights in the mid 20's and day times in the low 30's. When I de-winterize for the year, I also sanitize at the same time, which I usually do in the spring. On the other occasions where I have winterized and we are heading out, if the site has full hook ups, I will use city water connect and run the taps until the clear. While camping if the temps are well below freezing during the day and overnight, I will fill the fresh tank and disconnect the FW hose. When we get back home I will drain all tanks including the water heater and winterize again, which takes all of about 15-20 minutes.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2670Mk and used it year round.
    When at the campground I did not have the fresh water tank filled, i kept it empty for obvious reasons. I used the heat traced water hose.
    The furnace works just fine with the insulation, although keep in mind it is a travel trailer and not a stick and brick house.
    To help with the insulation, i used carpets from the "At home store in the mall". I laid them on the floors everywhere I could. Even under the table and recliners. Trust me this helps. I have even done this in our new solitude and we've camped with it into the low teens.
    A small electric space heater will help with the use of LP gas with the furnace.
    I also kept the grey and black tanks closed and only dumped when they were full or near full. A slow trickle out of the tanks could freeze in layers and eventually block off the dump hose going into the ground although unlikely I didn't want to take that chance.

When I wasn't using the camper (when I went home for the week) while working, I shut the water off and drained everything out of the lines including the water heater, there is a plug at the bottom you can remove to drain it 90%.

Hope this helps.
    Extra Class Ham Operator WB0YD
    2018 Imagine 2670MK previous rig
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 Long bed dually Cummins automatic
    AISIN A69 trans 3.73 gears, B+W Companion slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can speak from experience that driving a few hundred miles in temps around 10 degrees that everything will indeed freeze up. I would suggest at least opening the low point drains and faucets and emptying the water heater. We finally thawed out a couple days later a a few states south and could use water and drain the tanks again. Lesson learned on trying to haul tail while the roads were good after a surprise snow! We did stay nice and toasty though all the way down to -5, one thing that did make a huge difference was putting Reflectix on the windows, skylights and vents.
    I will say that the biggest challenge with the cold weather has been keeping the low point drains from freezing. I have some heat tape that I wrap around ours with some insulation. I think before next winter I am going to cut them off further up into the belly and put on some ball valves. Those freeze and they block the rest of the camper from water flowing.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an added thought - not speaking from experience but from reading - make sure you are aware of your outdoor faucets when thinking about freezing. I have one by the control center in the basement and one by the outdoor stove. I have read multiple instances of leaks developing in these locations and the suspicion was that the owners had neglected to consider them in their winter prep.
    Of course, residing in central Texas and camping mostly in Texas, not a real big deal for me, usually.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 315rlts and we only winter camp. We winterize ours 4 or 5 times during the winter camping season. We winterize it at the camp ground before we go put it in storage and de winterize when we get to the next camp ground. It is easy and only takes a few minutes. ...Scott
    Scott&Shelley Gillis (Pack Members.. Remington,Maggie,Molly,Rayne,Hannah,Cole,Gemma,
    Jayden,Dalton,Gavin,Cody and Yes they all camp with us!)
    2017 Reflection 315RLTS
    2005 2500 8.1l 410 Suburban Cold Air Intake, 8.mm MSD Wires, Cat Back System, Drilled and Sloted Rotors ,all Led Lighting. Hensly Mfg. TruControl brake controler.