User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light Replacements

A while back I'd posted about one of the bedroom LEDs flickering. Well, I hate to leave issues hanging so I wanted to update. I emailed Gentry with Grand Design about it because we'd been in contact over my refrigerator--by the way, he did get Dometic to stop screwing me around on that one. I told him about the canister light as well as one bed slide light which went completely out. He sent me both, which I installed last week.

Safety first: I turned off the breaker for the DC inverter, then turned off the battery using the switch in the pass through. This killed power to all trailer lights.

Tools/Parts: iPhone flashlight (quickly replaced by a Ryobi 18V light), screw driver with square bit, wire cutter with wire strippers and small wire ties (22-10 gauge and 22-14 gauge)--Question: Was I okay using the twist on wire ties or is there a good reason I needed the crimp ones?

Bed Slide Light:
    I pulled off the plastic diffuser face. Then I removed 4 screws holding the light down. Pulled the light down and cut the trailer wires just behind their crimped wire ties. There were 2 white trailer wires and 2 black trailer wires. I stripped about 3/8 - 1/2" wire insulation off of each trailer wire and twisted them to the new light wires (2 trailer white to 1 fixture white and 2 trailer black to 1 fixture black). These were then tied with with 22-10 twist on wire connections. Re-install was the reverse of removal.
    Tip for you: The insulation above these looks like cooler styrofoam--nice to see that, but it flakes as easily. Laying a towel under it is a good idea to catch debris.

Canister Light:
    Ensuring the switch was also turned off, I pulled the canister down, wiggled it to get the spring clips to let go of the ceiling, then swore loudly enough that most of the park heard me--turns out having one's fingers directly below those clips is a bad idea because they snap like a mouse trap... Anyway it pulled down freely, and I cut the trailer wires just behind their crimped wire ties. There was only 1 white trailer wire and 1 black trailer wire here. I stripped them about 3/8 - 1/2" back and twisted them to the new canister light wires (white to white and black to black). These I tied with 22-14 twist on wire ties. To re-install I opened the spring clips, placed them into the ceiling, then guided the light in so it didn't slam against the ceiling.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good write up and job well done.
    In regards to the twist on wire ties , AKA , wire nuts, some use them others don't. With something traveling down our superb highway system and bouncing and shaking there is concern that the wire nuts will loosen.
    I have seen it both ways , if I have to use them I will also use some electrical tape.
    Also glad GD sent you replacement parts.

Brian