User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium charger Question

I recently installed 2 Battleborn Batteries in my Reflection 230RL.. My goal is to run the generator as little as possible! So a Lithium charger is next on my To Do List... Battleborn offers a replacement converter for my Wfco-8955 ..It's PD4655liv. It fits in the Wfco.. or a PD9160al that is stand alone converter... Any thoughts on either option? .... Norm
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
    I recently installed 2 Battleborn Batteries in my Reflection 230RL.. My goal is to run the generator as little as possible! So a Lithium charger is next on my To Do List... Battleborn offers a replacement converter for my Wfco-8955 ..It's PD4655liv. It fits in the Wfco.. or a PD9160al that is stand alone converter... Any thoughts on either option? .... Norm
    Norm - I just went through this a couple of months ago. I went with the Progressive Dynamics PD9160AL. I've had great luck with the PD units in the past. It charges at a continuous 14.6VDC which is perfect for our Battle Born batteries. I'm usually fully charged in less than two hours when running the generator.

One word of caution though. I purchased a PD9160AL from Amazon. The vendor sent me the non-lithium version and I had a heck of a time sending it back. And even then, I had to pay return shipping. I finally purchased mine from Bestconverter.com. They are selling it right now for $217. Here's a link:

PD9160AL

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just buy the Magnum MSH3012.
    It’s the one I use for my Battle Borns’.
    It charges at 125 amps and it’s on sale for the low low price of $1699!

: )

Ok I admit, it’s overkill.
    For your purposes the PD units are perfect and reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For convenience the Progressive replacement would be the better choice. I have the stand alone version I used as a back-up to my solar, I had the option to plug in at city power or generator. I wired it to the batteries and plugged the AC cord in when needed, but as mentioned it was a back-up and I did not mind taking the added step of plugging it in. In either case you cannot go wrong with PD.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick replies... I like the idea of wiring it off the generator plug... If I'm plug into city power topping the batteries off isn't that important... When off the grid it is... I'll give Best Converter a call... Norm
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With hopes of not going off topic, can I get a PD converter to handle lithium batteries but still use my wet cell battery?
    Just trying to do this in parts instead of all at once, would like to get a couple battle born batteries in future.

Brian

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    With hopes of not going off topic, can I get a PD converter to handle lithium batteries but still use my wet cell battery?
    Just trying to do this in parts instead of all at once, would like to get a couple battle born batteries in future.

Brian
    I replaced my original WFCO with a PD9170 a few months ago - long before I started thinking of lithium. I don't think PD makes a converter that will do both lithium and LA, but most of the other brands do. I tried an AIMS converter, which had some really nice features, but the fan ran all the time and I didn't want to listen to it. I ended up calling bestconverter.com and they recommended their boondocker. They said it was their best seller. Nice and quiet and will do both LA or lithium with just a little adjustment.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not believe PD makes a unit to charge both, however the charging profiles of Lithium and AGM are very similar so if you happen to have or consider getting AGM in the interim you should be fine with the prospective PD replacement.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    I do not believe PD makes a unit to charge both, however the charging profiles of Lithium and AGM are very similar so if you happen to have or consider getting AGM in the interim you should be fine with the prospective PD replacement.
    I was told by AIMS tech support that I could use my old FLA converter with the lithium battery, but I'd get substantially less than a full charge. Lithium likes a constant current, constant voltage. Mine run at 14.6 volts all the time. Contrast that with a FLA that starts at 14.1 for a couple of hours then decreases to 13.6 and a trickle charge when fully charged. I was a little concerned about the higher voltage on the house circuits, but it seems to work fine.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    I was told by AIMS tech support that I could use my old FLA converter with the lithium battery, but I'd get substantially less than a full charge. Lithium likes a constant current, constant voltage. Mine run at 14.6 volts all the time. Contrast that with a FLA that starts at 14.1 for a couple of hours then decreases to 13.6 and a trickle charge when fully charged. I was a little concerned about the higher voltage on the house circuits, but it seems to work fine.
    That is correct. The cheapo converters often installed in RV's will indeed charge, but many undercharge the batteries which over time can lessen the life of the batteries because they are never allowed to fully charge. Batteries are not cheap, especially lithium so it is prudent to invest in a high quality charger either with the battery manufacturers protocol already programmed such as Progressive Dynamics or a charger that can be programmed to the battery mfg's parameters by the end user.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast