User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28BH Solar / Inverter Install

I thought I would post my solar / inverter install on our Reflection 28BH as I am in the middle of the process. I have been researching this for a few months and finally purchased everything a couple weeks ago. I find it very helpful when others post installs/mods so thought I would try and do the same. Almost everything was purchased through AM Solar except for the solar panels and mounts. These were purchased through Brian Boones Got Solar site because they are 200watts and saved a small amount of money. I had been looking for a local installer but could not find anyone. AM Solar has been doing installs for a long time, has a great reputation and has been very responsive with any questions I have had. Plus, they sell everything as a kit which makes it easy. Here is what I am installing.

Victron 150/100 charger kit (everything in kit except for panels and mounts)
    https://amsolar.com/rv-complete-solar-systems/99-vt100

Victron 50A Multiplus 3000 watt inverter with Smart ATS (full pass through so I do not need a subpanel!!!)
    https://amsolar.com/rv-inverters-chargers/99-vt3050kit

Battleborn 100Ah battery and monitor kit
    https://amsolar.com/rv-lithium-batte.../40-libbbmv100

Battleborn 100Ah expansion kit (3 - so that I have a total of 400Ah of batteries)
    https://amsolar.com/rv-lithium-battery-banks/94vs-bb100

One item I will note is that at first glance it seemed more expensive than other vendors. However, they sell everything as a kit and provide all of the necessary wires, lugs, etc. and it is nicely organized. When I started pricing separately it was a small amount of money I would save. I also didn't mind paying a little more to have a professional installer that can "Hold my Hand" through the process and answer any questions.

I also put together a diagram of the install that I have sent to AM Solar multiple times and revised. They will also do this for you but I would recommend doing it yourself if you plan on tackling this job since it will give you a much better understanding. I am having a hard time attaching the diagram but will try and attach it this evening.

So far, I have run the wire to the roof and installed the combiner box. This was by far the most challenging part in figuring out how to do this. I even had a conversation with one of AM Solar installers who gave me some great input. Typically, they will drill from the top next to the vent pipe and fish the wire down. Based on my configuration I knew this wouldn't work so I ended up cutting a panel out of our cabinet where I knew the vent pipe was located. Really glad I did this as I had to go around the vent pipe as shown in the picture. I then drill up from the bottom through the top frame with a 1 1/4" spade bit. Be very careful in doing this as there were wires above...which I expected. I then drilled a 1/4" hole from the bottom through the roof and drilled a 1 1/8" hole from the roof. Hopefully that makes sense but it worked and came out great. I just need to cut a panel to cover up the space in the cabinet.

I also installed the inverter and batteries last weekend. The inverter I built a brace to hang the inverter to the side. This ended up saving space and will be easy to work on. For the batteries I added foam insulation to the underside and back of batteries since the metal floor in the front storage is so cold. I do realize they have a BMS system to shut down in cold weather but thought I would add this as it was easy. I then built wood braces around the batteries. You will not see any screws since I drilled up from the underside and it seems very solid.

I am still determining how to layout the charger, shunt, fuse, etc in front compartment. I will likely make cardboard cutouts and tape them up to see what works best. I also tried to lay out the components in my drawing similar to how it is placed in my front compartment. I am dealing with cold weather at the moment so hopefully I can mount the remaining components and do the wiring over the next week. The roof solar will have to wait until it warms up more with the Dicor. I will post more pictures and updates as I have more progress!

Edit: Sorry the pic's are sideways. They were correct on my computer but not sure how to rotate them. (I fixed them for you, Damon! -Howard)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinet wire.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	17801

Name:	cabinet.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	17802

Name:	combiner box open.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	17803

Name:	front compartment.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	17797
    Last edited by howson; 02-20-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Fixed pictures.
    Damon and Colleen
    2019 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 FX4 Platinum
    5th Wheel Prep Puck System
    B&W Companion Non-Slider
    BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of the foam insulation I forgot to post.

Name:	foam.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	17798
    Damon and Colleen
    B&W Companion Non-Slider

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damon

Just a note, the floor in the front compartment is a little flimsy. Be careful of the weight you add.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

28BH Solar / Inverter Install

Great looking install!

Only one thing concerns me, did you reinforce the floor of your front compartment underneath? Maybe some type of weld or bracing?
    Most installs like this include a thick sheet of plywood on the floor of the compartment to help distribute the weight of the batteries. I understand they’re lighter but that’s still about 120 lbs.
    I used 5/8” plywood but my inverter weighs 55 lbs and is mounted on the floor along with my 4 batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-20-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point on the floor. I was back and forth on adding plywood and decided not to as it felt fairly sturdy...although I also noticed some flex. I think I will go back and add a plywood base since it is much easier to do now than latter when I have all the wires installed.
    Damon and Colleen
    B&W Companion Non-Slider

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made some progress this afternoon...added plywood to the floor which was a good idea. Also started to work on layout of components. Not the best photo as it was a bad time of day with the sun. Also, finally was able to download the diagram I put together that I am following.

Name:	Copy of Copy of Reflection 28BH Solar Install - Front Storage 3.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	17814

Name:	UjGIaA+UTDOO3g%qlgVK5Q.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	17815
    Damon and Colleen
    B&W Companion Non-Slider

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post

Name:	Copy of Copy of Reflection 28BH Solar Install - Front Storage 3.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	17814
    Thank you for the diagram! What prompted you to go with the color monitor (CCGX?) versus the less expensive monitor? AMSolar recommended to me to NOT spend the $$$ on the CCGX. Hmm...going to have to question them more about this option.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AM solar are a very good source, excellent customer service, top notch products and tech work. I will throw my hat into the reinforce the floor ring. I am in the process of doing my solar install and I noticed how flimsy it is, did not inspire confidence so I reinforced it using 3-lengths of angle aluminum under the floor, strategically placed to support the weight.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson
    Thank you for the diagram! What prompted you to go with the color monitor (CCGX?) versus the less expensive monitor? AMSolar recommended to me to NOT spend the $$$ on the CCGX. Hmm...going to have to question them more about this option.
    Howard, they had said the same thing to me and is a place to save some money. I really like the look of the Color Monitor and being able to see how it is all interacting. This was a last minute decision on my part to add it on. I also made up the savings by going with the Hightec 200w solar panels instead of the Zamp panels that are less wattage and more expensive.
    Damon and Colleen
    B&W Companion Non-Slider

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great writeup and job! I have the same rig, and did the inverter and batteries (6V FLA for now) a few years ago, and am getting ready to do solar this spring. Curious question, I have been thinking of how to run my solar wiring and had thought I would take the mirror down and open up the wall behind it for access (I pulled it down already thinking it would already have a hole behind it for accessing the back of the shower but no luck). I was just wondering why you chose to open the cabinet up rather than behind the mirror. I figured it was a bigger space and would be easier to cover since you do not see it.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast