User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    Great writeup and job! I have the same rig, and did the inverter and batteries (6V FLA for now) a few years ago, and am getting ready to do solar this spring. Curious question, I have been thinking of how to run my solar wiring and had thought I would take the mirror down and open up the wall behind it for access (I pulled it down already thinking it would already have a hole behind it for accessing the back of the shower but no luck). I was just wondering why you chose to open the cabinet up rather than behind the mirror. I figured it was a bigger space and would be easier to cover since you do not see it.
    This was by far the most challenging part to figure out and I looked at many different options. When you remove the backer board in the basement to access the vent pipe you will notice two vent pipes going to the roof and then connecting to one in picture shown above. There is a small gap on both sides allowing access with the entry door side having a much larger access. If I ran it behind the mirror there would be no way to access the wiring from the basement that I know of. I knew the vent pipe was behind the cabinet where I cut the access and that I could easily cut a black panel to cover it up when done. One other important point is that I spoke with GD and to the right of the vent pipe in the above picture (entry door side) is the AC ducting so I knew drilling up to the right was not a good idea. I also tried to run fish wire down the left side of the vent pipe but there is very little access on that side in basement....hence you see me wrapping the wire around the vent pipe. The other good point about this option is I can now run the wiring for the Battery Monitor and Control GX easily and mount it just above the control center.

Edit: One other point that was really helpful is to use an Endoscope to look in these tiny places. I bought one on Amazon for cheap and will show on your phone what is behind these tight spots you cannot access easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Nomado; 02-21-2019 at 06:38 AM.
    Damon and Colleen
    2019 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 FX4 Platinum
    5th Wheel Prep Puck System
    B&W Companion Non-Slider
    BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to get installing my system, in another couple of weeks.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I would make a couple comments on tools. Anyone taking on this project will need to invest in a good pair of wire cutters, lug crimper, multimeter, etc.

I had purchased the 16ton hydraulic crimper with the various dies you see on Amazon/Ebay. Many others have used these with success but I had a real challenge getting a good crimp on 4/0 cable. Part of the issue is that they are sized differently and so all the dies are either too big or small for various wire. I mention this because I ended up purchasing a Temco Dieless Lug Crimper that is similar to a hammer crimp but easier to use. It is not as pretty of a crimp but the crimps are very solid and it is much easier to use. Unfortunately, I am now the happy owner of two crimpers. The one that has worked very well for me is in the following link. I have no affiliation or amazon kick back account but thought I would share so others don't make the same mistake.

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Lug-Cri...ateway&sr=8-12

Also, be sure to get wire cutters that are made to cut 4/0 cable. There are some with longer handles or ratchet style but be sure to invest in a good pair of wire cutters! These are the ones I have used that have worked great but I know the ratchet style would also work good.

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Wire-Ca...gateway&sr=8-5

The Endoscope I mentioned in another post was also really helpful in figuring out how to fish the wire to the roof. You will also need a good hole saw cutter set. Multimeter can just be basic but necessary to check your wiring and panels as you go along hooking everything up. I also ended up using a small dremel and oscillating saw from Harbor Freight which was handy to have. You will also need a smaller crimper for the smaller wire crimps. If I think of anything else I will mention it.
    Damon and Colleen
    B&W Companion Non-Slider

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post
    I had purchased the 16ton hydraulic crimper with the various dies you see on Amazon/Ebay. Many others have used these with success but I had a real challenge getting a good crimp on 4/0 cable.
    This is what I bought--haven't used it yet--so return it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hydraulic Crimper.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	17932

I'm hoping these cutters work! (I already bought/have them.)

Name:	Cutters.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	17933
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post

Name:	Hydraulic Crimper.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	17932

I'm hoping these cutters work! (I already bought/have them.)

Name:	Cutters.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	17933
    If you can return it easily I probably would. That is the same crimper set I originally bought. I only used it to make the battery cables and was very challenging for me to get a good crimp. The first ones I could pull off and finally used a smaller die than recommended and did 2-3 crimps rotating the cable to finally get a crimp that I felt was adequate. However, it was a lot of work and ended up with a blister on my hand. I certainly could also be doing something wrong. The second one I bought (in link above) was much easier to use and you don't have to fumble with various dies. It has an adjustment to move the barrel for various lug sizes. It will also hold the lug when you set it in and can push the wire into the lug to get a tight fit before crimping down. It was much easier for me to use and provided a good crimp that felt very solid. I may end up redoing my battery cables at some point with this crimper but I think they are good for now.

The wire cutters above should be great and better than what I used. If I was buying wire cutters again I probably would go for the ratchet style like what you bought. I also looked on Amazon and it looks like in the reviews others have used them for 4/0 cable with good success so you should be good!
    Damon and Colleen
    B&W Companion Non-Slider

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post

I'm hoping these cutters work! (I already bought/have them.).
    Ratcheting cutter will for sure work. I've used that type on thick gauge cable.
    For the welding cable, no problem. I use a Greenlee 727, 4/0 is a bit big for it. If it didn't I'd break out a ratcheting cutter.

Crimper, I use a style that looks like it puts the same crimp on the lug.
    They're Greenlee KC4-4/0 https://www.greenlee.com/us/en/die-s...cu-awg-kc4-4-0
    I start crimping the lug end where the cable end is and put down 3 crimps one next to another till get to the other end of lug where cable enters the lug.
    KC4-4/0:

Name:	KC4-4-0.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	17934
    Last edited by gbkims; 02-25-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of picts with a 4/0 lug already crimped. On mine, I crimp with the flat of the lug away fm base of the jaws so it clears them. Smaller lugs usually not an issue.
    So good to check if the lug's flat clears the crimper's jaws.

Name:	DSCF3495.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	17935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3496.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	17936

A 4/0 Lug with flat toward base of jaws won't clear the jaw's opening.

Name:	DSCF3497.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	17937
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Couple of picts with a 4/0 lug already crimped. On mine, I crimp with the flat of the lug away fm base of the jaws so it clears them. Smaller lugs usually not an issue.
    Those are great looking crimps! I don't believe the die you used would fit in the crimper Howard and I have. The dies look like the following and slide into the crimper.

Name:	dies.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	17938

What type of crimper is that....it looks like a much better crimper than what we had bought with the various dies.
    Damon and Colleen
    B&W Companion Non-Slider

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post
    Those are great looking crimps! I don't believe the die you used would fit in the crimper Howard and I have. The dies look like the following and slide into the crimper.

Name:	dies.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	17938

What type of crimper is that....it looks like a much better crimper than what we had bought with the various dies.
    Looks like Gene is using a very expensive Greenlee crimper that provides a calibrated crimp. These tools are made for the trade and don't come cheap. This one is maybe $1500+. Been retired for a few years but I recognize a trade tool when I see it. Greenlee is top notch stuff.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trick for fine stranded welding cable is multiple crimps with these types of dies to prevent pull out.
    That's not much of an issue with the heavier stranded building type wire like THHN/THWN
    Sometimes with the fine stranded welding cable a hammer crimper can work as well or better.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast