User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfintom View Post
    That's interesting. I was in Bradenton last year in March and getting around was a nightmare. I've also been to several cities on the East coast and every place has been crowded and traffic horrible. I have a friend who lives on Big Pine Key and he said the Keys are not like that. I've looked at rates for a few places and they've all been in the $3000/mo range. We just got back from Palm Springs and rates were similar - also crowded with bad traffic. We paid $100/day to be really close to a busy train and I-10. No water in sight.

What are the good resorts in Bradenton and Sarasota? And is the winter less crowded than the spring?

Thanks.
    I think Everywhere in FL in March is crazy busy. Traffic in the area isn't horrible until mid Feb and stays that way thru March, about a 6 week period. If you don't have patients during that time you'll drive yourself into an ulcer!

Once you learn the back streets and stay off the main thouroughfares as much as possible it makes getting around easier during those 6 weeks. March 30th hits and getting around is easy again. ON EDIT: If yooou don't like dogs this is not the park you want to be in. There are several sites with 4 or more dogs and I'm going to guess close to half the park has at least 1 dog or cat
    We stay away from the most popular spots like Anna Maria Island Beaches. It can take longer to get on the Island than to drive to a beach further away.

As far as good resorts, there are a large number of resorts in the area and I'd suggest reading reviews. We have always stayed at the Encore park because of the relaxed dog rules. We had 3 dogs and this was the only park we could find in the area that allowed an unrestricted number of dogs, number, breed or size is a non issue here long as your dog is not aggressive . A trade off for the park being right next to I 75.
    It's not the top resort but not the bottom either and most important is the majority of the people here are friendly regardless of how long they have been here.

They are building this area up so fast I think in less than 10 years traffic will suck all year regardless
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 03-02-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were just down there a week ago. Stayed at Sunshine Key RV Resort. It is also an Encore. We did four nights, ran almost 8 hundred. Monthly in March is like $3300. Its beautiful but expensive. I actually liked St Augustine FL. beautiful beaches there. We also stayed at Larry and Penny State Park in South Miami. Very nice park, full hook ups at all sites, built in pool too. A lot of snow birds there. Only like $500/mo including electric and water.
    Ron & Sue
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed in Marathon last year at the Jolly Roger. We had a seawall site that was great, but not private or wide. In 2nd week of April when we were there, most snow birds had left, so lots of room. Seawall sites are not seasonally discounted, so paid around $100 per night. Other sites there are mediocre.

We love Borrego Springs. Have stayed at Springs at Borrego both times. Cool and rainy this year. I think I want to try the State Park next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emurphy View Post
    We love Borrego Springs. Have stayed at Springs at Borrego both times. Cool and rainy this year. I think I want to try the State Park next year.
    We stayed at the Springs this year in Feb. Only 3 days, then up to Palm Springs for a week. Wish we had done it the other way around. Really enjoyed Borrego.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is about traveling into the Keys with our 35' 5er (nick named Murphy). We take it to Jensen Beach from KY in early December and want to continue on to the Keys for a few days. Question/debate is (1) to park the 5er in Jensen making winter setup then drive w/o it and stay in motel or (2) drag Murph down there for a few days before taking it back to make winter connections in Jensen. I've seen how expensive camping is in the Keys (~$100/day). in short: how tough is the travel thru Miami and the Keys' highway etc with a 55' long rig?
    Eric and Carolyn
    Louisville KY
    2015 Ford F350
    2019 Reflection 320MKS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travel there is fine with any size rig. The CG's tend to be on the tighter side though so choose wisely and book ahead of time. Bring your wallet

Personally I'm not a big Marathon fan. If you are going to go, get down as close to Key West and you can, that is a fun little area. The middle parts of the keys are a little barren for my liking but if you have a pocket boat or just want to sit on a small beach it should be fine.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12