User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Experience in the Florida Keys?

We left Colorado early Dec. Traveled south to Austin, then west all the way to the SoCal desert. As most of you know, it has been less than tropical almost everywhere in the south. We loved Borrego Springs CA. A very small town with a lot of golf, but no water.
    I'm thinking next year we head for the Keys. Anyone have any experience and/or suggestions? Obviously there's water. Is there also golf down there? Any recommendations for resorts? Any questions about Borrego? Happy to tell what I know.
    Thanks.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to the Keys a lot of times. But not for golf. Book early and open your wallet. oh - it's a great place; no need to travel to he southern end as fishing, relaxation, water access, sailing, snorkeling, SCUBA, drinks & food are available throughout the Keys 90 mile length.

One thing comes to mind - the further south you go the bigger your wallet has to be. In FL the general rule of thumb is that you pile all your money on your dashboard and head south; when the realtors & campground operators along the way stop signaling you to exit that means they counted your dollars and you can't afford to be that far south.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine was in the Keys in Dec and said you can see the destruction of the last hurricane everywhere many campgrounds are still not open. I believe the KOA is not opening till June. I was working on a trip plan with two to three weeks in the keys but the prices are just nuts. While I would like to get away from the January February cold of central Florida I'm thinking that staying in or around Fort Lauderdale might make more sense. Also the hwy 1 is a toll road into the keys not sure what they charge for a truck and trailer. I have a Sunpass on my SUV when we went to Marathon stayed in a hotel for 4 days. Really nice place Banana Cove

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Central" Florida is affordable. Once you get south of Orlando, the weather will almost always be what we northerners would call "summer". $700 per month on the centre line of the state. If you want to be on either coast, double that. If you want to be at the southern tip . . . triple that. As the price goes up, the lot size goes down. You can pay over $2500 per month for a site in the Keys where you can't open your awning without touching your neighbour.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep saying to myself Rob when in January in central Florida it's in the 30's that I don't have to shovel anything. It did get down to 28f in Auburndale a few weeks back but high 80's now and 70's at night.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It even got cold here in Bradenton this year. We had a couple of nights that dropped down to 48 or 49. Don't see that much when you get south of US4.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jolly Roger in Marathon is a nice campground - but send money. In season, you'll pay ~ $100 per day - more if you want a seawall site.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where ever you decide, get your reservations early. The Keys are nice, but as others have said, they drain your wallet quick and at some campgrounds, it seems like you are in a parking lot with power and water, than an actual camp site. Don't rule out SW Florida (Tampa to Ft Myers), we are from Sarasota area and there is beautiful weather here all winter. We have the all beaches, golf, bicycling, kayaking, entertainment, dining and even scuba diving, to fulfill your winter adventures!
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsitivedivetraining View Post
    Where ever you decide, get your reservations early. The Keys are nice, but as others have said, they drain your wallet quick and at some campgrounds, it seems like you are in a parking lot with power and water, than an actual camp site. Don't rule out SW Florida (Tampa to Ft Myers), we are from Sarasota area and there is beautiful weather here all winter. We have the all beaches, golf, bicycling, kayaking, entertainment, dining and even scuba diving, to fulfill your winter adventures!
    Agree with what you say about the Sarasota area as we spend 6 months in Bradenton which is right next to Sarasota. We've been coming down for 5 years now and there are things still on our list to do that we haven't gotten too. What else is nice is how easy it is to get anywhere else for things to do .
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 03-01-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Agree with what you say about the Sarasota area as we spend 6 months in Bradenton which is right next to Sarasota. We've been coming down for 5 years now and there are things still on our list to do that we haven't gotten too. What else is nice is how easy it is to get anywhere else for things to do .
    That's interesting. I was in Bradenton last year in March and getting around was a nightmare. I've also been to several cities on the East coast and every place has been crowded and traffic horrible. I have a friend who lives on Big Pine Key and he said the Keys are not like that. I've looked at rates for a few places and they've all been in the $3000/mo range. We just got back from Palm Springs and rates were similar - also crowded with bad traffic. We paid $100/day to be really close to a busy train and I-10. No water in sight.

What are the good resorts in Bradenton and Sarasota? And is the winter less crowded than the spring?

Thanks.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast