User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Best (Spring) route from Quartzite to Yosemite?

We’ve been boondocking in Arizona since November and probably won’t leave till about April (or May?). We’re going to be spending the Summer in Oregon again this year so we would like to “swing by” Yosemite since it’s on our bucket list.

I was hoping to draw on the experiences of fellow members to map out a route that is feasible for towing a trailer up to that neck of the woods.

We purchased a Thousand Trails membership so we can park close to attractions like this that don’t offer boondocking anywhere close, so we could stay there if need be.

I can look at maps online but that won’t tell me what the roads usually look like that time of year or which, if any, are normally inaccessible, etc.

I’d appreciate hearing from anyone with experience towing through that area in April/May.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-25-2019 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Friggin typos
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're fortunate that the roads are pretty good and straightforward. you can connect to I-40 if you head north on 95. Then I-40 in Barstow ends at I-15. You'll head south on 15, through Barstow to CA State Hwy 58. You'll heard west on 58 over the Tehachapi mountains and to Bakersfield. That time of the year, Tehachapi is usually wide open. You'll head up and over the pass at 4100' and it's a gradual rise on a 6 lane highway. Occasionally, you'll run into snow over Tehachapi and instead of dealing with sponouts, the CHP just shuts the road down. At that point, you'll be waiting at Mojave for the pass to open. There lots of BLM land to camp on if you get stuck.

If you get delayed, head north on 14 out of Mojave for a cool side trip to Jawbone Canyon state rec area. Jawbone has some of the most interesting geology in the Mojave Desert and is a beautiful place to stay.

At Bakersfield, you'll head north on State Hwy 99 through the central valley. You have some options. You can try State Hwy 41 through Fresno to Coarsegold and Oakhurst, which is the south entrance to Yosemite.

You may also decide to continue north on 99 to State Hwy 108 and head east to Central Yosemite. Both ways into Yosemite are an easy drive with good roads and are open during that time of the year.

To check road conditions, you can monitor cad.chp.ca.gov

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like to go to Yosemite via Hwy 395. It's very scenic north of Bishop California.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I like to go to Yosemite via Hwy 395. It's very scenic north of Bishop California.

Jim
    Absolutely! Unfortunately, we've had so much snow out here - with 8 ft expected later this week! What that means is that the roads into Yosemite may not be open from 395 up and over the eastern Sierra, especially around April when runoff will cause significant road flooding.

We camped in Big Pine a few weeks ago when there was a massive storm that came through. Over 100 vehicles were stranded near Bridgeport and one Mammoth resort was snowed in for five days. The resort guests, most who travel from Los Angeles on the weekends missed work and school because they couldn't be easily dug out!

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tioga Pass usually doesn't open until May or June. I would expect it to be even later this year, due to the heavy snowfall so late in the season. This graph shows the dates that Tioga has opened in past years:

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm
    Last edited by JCZhome; 02-26-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako88fan View Post
    Absolutely! Unfortunately, we've had so much snow out here - with 8 ft expected later this week! What that means is that the roads into Yosemite may not be open from 395 up and over the eastern Sierra, especially around April when runoff will cause significant road flooding.

We camped in Big Pine a few weeks ago when there was a massive storm that came through. Over 100 vehicles were stranded near Bridgeport and one Mammoth resort was snowed in for five days. The resort guests, most who travel from Los Angeles on the weekends missed work and school because they couldn't be easily dug out!

We camped near Bridgeport many years ago and had several inches of snow in August! Love that area.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
    We like that route too but I doubt Tioga Pass will be open that early in the year.

Phyllis
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL, 2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax 6.6 LTZ

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    395 is easy, but there is not as much to see. With your small 5'er you could easily go north on 49 after visiting Yosemite from Yosemite Lakes Thousand Trails. Stay there the whole 2 weeks and venture all over Yosemite NP. Make sure and purchase the yearly pass to get into all the National Parks.

HERE is a link to CA Gold Country. There are lots of Forest Service campgrounds and other places to stay. The old towns are interesting and there are also many museums to visit. Ask the people in the museums for local info and the next camping spot.

Maybe JC can give you more tips about that area. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're still in Q, I would suggest jumping up to I-40 and go west to Barstow then Ca58 to Bakersfield, to Ca 99 North to Ca 41 North in Fresno through Oakhurst. I believe there's a TT around Oakhurst. When you're done, like Ken suggested, just go north on Ca 49 for a very interesting and scenic (but slow) drive through much of California's gold rush of 1849 (thus, Hwy 49).
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, you'll be going to Yosemite the best time of the year! All of those waterfalls will be flowing full force!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast